Dead Deal Target: Returning a $100 item w/ no receipt?

J

jpete

My MIL gave me one of those Instyler curling irons for Christmas (it's an "as seen on tv" thing that's supposed to straighten your hair). My SIL really wanted one and my MIL feels the need to get us the same stuff, so I got one too. Well, I don't really want it. At all. I haven't even opened it. And it was $100 from Target (we'd really like new bedding instead...). But, my MIL gets really offended if you return any of your presents, so I can't ask her for a receipt.

I tried to return it to Target without a receipt and they told me that I could only get store credit to be used in the same department (hair appliances, the woman said) and it must be used all at once that same day since it's over their $70 no receipt limit. I really don't want/need $100 in hair appliances! Any suggestions for other ways to get the value out of it? I'm thinking maybe I'll post it on the classifieds here or even craigslist....any other ideas?!?!? Thanks!!

M

momabrown3

That is Targets policy if you do not have the receipt.The store credit has to be used in the same department.I would try to sell it in the local paper or craigslist.You will make some cash but,not what it cost to purchase it at target.

J

joshmamabear

IDK if its YMMV but our Target's policy is up to $75 worth with no receipt and they give store GC but there is NO rule to buy items from same department of item returned. We can purchase anything at the store with the GC. I forgot to ask how many times it is allowed per person/per year. BTW, they ask for pic ID/DL and write down the number when you return stuff.

F

froggie3

I have to agree with Manders....I also think that IF you do that you will be given another return in the same department because your new receipt is going to pull up the info from it being a purchase of a return without receipt.

C

clippyclippy

OK, I get it now.
Might be a tad underhanded.
By the way - even if you get the receipt, you may find that it would be expired, if she bought it before the 21 of December. Target won't take returns past 90 days.

J

jennsvs

I have returned an item over the $75 limit with no reciept before and I was given a gift card. I wasn't limited to the department that the item came from. I don't see how they can do that if you are given a gift card. KWIM. Are they supposed to give a paper merchandise credit that says the specific department? I would call and ask them how they give the store credit.

C

cecaic0609

I think if you buy something else from the same department and then return it, it will probably show that it was purchased on a gift card with a return, so you'll probably be stuck anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JocelyneM

I Would take the GC they dont have a way to tell where in the store the gc is from !!!
Sounds like CS didnt want you to return the item ??

H

homescrapper

How come you can't talk to a manager and tell them what you just told us?? If you have to go to (4- or more) stores, you might find one manager that would help you out!!

I also found that it depends on when I got the the CS desk.I suppose that CS person has just had enough of the people they see cheating the system. It's always the people who take advantage that ruin it for everyone else!!
I went one time expecting to get a huge fight about something and it was a 2o something guy. He just smiled and said sure... Didn't have to have a receipt or anything. I had it in my hand but eh! Don't know what happened that day?? Maybe look for some really happy CS person!! :wavehi: IS there such a person! :whistle67:

I think your story is credible.
Last resort have your SIL ask for the receipt! :BigHand: OR how about your husband. It always sounds better coming from the child rather than the IL kWIM.My husband can tell MIL anything and she doesn't bat an eye, If I say the same thing... I am suspect.

Last resort call corporate and tell them you want to buy something in their store and would they tell you why you have to purchase it in that other department.

You've got options!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
N

neesie03

Let's keep the suggestions to those that don't circumvent Target policy, thanks!

F

froggie3

I Would take the GC they dont have a way to tell where in the store the gc is from !!!
Sounds like CS didnt want you to return the item ??

The way Target worked when I worked there was that they required you to bring the new item to CS and they did the exchange there, so they knew it was from the same department.

J

joshmamabear

the policy to buy from same department of an item returned w/o receipt must be YMMV. I've asked Target in OK and AR and they do not have that same department policy except for the limit of $75 and requirement to present valid pic ID for a return to be processed on a GC that can be used to pay for any item at any Target.

VivaciousJewelz

Mod of the Month March 2011 Plays with Fire
Trader Group
afaik if the receipt is past 90 days, Target will NOT take the return.

asking for the receipt is taking the risk that it may offend the gift-giver :whistle67:

Okay, then, it's a moot point for the OP talking about this anyway since it's against Target's policy to take returns passed 90 days.

OP- I would sell it on eBay or CL or something. After all, you didn't pay for it, so any money you get will still put you in the green for that item.

D

Doglover8180

I am pretty familiar with Target because I have shopped there alot over the years. They used to take returns all the time without a receipt but, like Wal-mart, they were getting the short end of the stick with that. So they began a few years ago, doing 3 returns a year without a receipt, once you hit your 3 mark, that was it - didn't matter if one return was a 3 dollar item. They would swipe your drivers license in order to monitor returns. Then about a year ago, they began doing an X amount - dollar amount of returns without receipt for a 12 month period. At my target it is $70, which is really better than the 3 returns a year because if you return something that is 4 dollars - that used to count as one of your 3 returns for that year, now if you had to return something that was only a few dollars - it would go towards the 70. I am surprised they are willing to let you return it at all/ exchange it since it is over 70, they technically wouldn't have to let you return it at all since you don't have the receipt so I actually think, that is kind of nice that they are willing to do that even. If it has to be in the same dept, couldn't that mean you could get shampoo, hair color, brush, all sorts of stuff, not just another styling tool? Grant it, not your first choice but I bet the "same department" encompasses alot of items. It's unfortunate that stores have had to get so strick about returns without receipts but I can understand why they are doing it, they were losing money cause people were abusing/misusing their non-strict return policies.

J

jen276here

I am pretty familiar with Target because I have shopped there alot over the years. They used to take returns all the time without a receipt but, like Wal-mart, they were getting the short end of the stick with that. So they began a few years ago, doing 3 returns a year without a receipt, once you hit your 3 mark, that was it - didn't matter if one return was a 3 dollar item. They would swipe your drivers license in order to monitor returns. Then about a year ago, they began doing an X amount - dollar amount of returns without receipt for a 12 month period. At my target it is $70, which is really better than the 3 returns a year because if you return something that is 4 dollars - that used to count as one of your 3 returns for that year, now if you had to return something that was only a few dollars - it would go towards the 70. I am surprised they are willing to let you return it at all/ exchange it since it is over 70, they technically wouldn't have to let you return it at all since you don't have the receipt so I actually think, that is kind of nice that they are willing to do that even. If it has to be in the same dept, couldn't that mean you could get shampoo, hair color, brush, all sorts of stuff, not just another styling tool? Grant it, not your first choice but I bet the "same department" encompasses alot of items. It's unfortunate that stores have had to get so strick about returns without receipts but I can understand why they are doing it, they were losing money cause people were abusing/misusing their non-strict return policies.

I completely agree with this and what a great suggestion about the hair care items - this could be new brushes and hair doodles, etc. You may also want to ask them to clarify the department, because it may (or may not) include more - like is it just 'hair care' or is it 'health and beauty' and then again depending on where this is located in the store it could be small electrics, such as electric toothbrushes and such. There may be many options here, kwim? If you don't return it, I think Craigslist/Ebay may be the way to go. I don't think you would get the money for it at a yard sale or what not. Good Luck!

A

aa2coupons

I would tell MIL that there is something wrong with it and that you need the receipt to exchange it. Yes, it is a lie, but at least it might not offend her.