FAQ Target FAQ

Discussion in 'Target' started by queenofthehivemomof5, Aug 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. queenofthehivemomof5

queenofthehivemomof5 Admin Hottie Trader Group

This FAQ is broken into four parts:
    • General store information
    • Coupons
    • Printable Target coupons and the HCW generator
    • Gift card promotions
    -------------------------------
    GENERAL STORE INFORMATION
    -------------------------------

Q: How do I contact Target Corporate?
    Contact phone numbers and web forms can be found on the Target Website Contact Us page. For questions, compliments, or complaints about your store experience, the phone number is 800-440-0680 and the web form is here.
    Q: What is Target's return policy?
    KEEP YOUR RECEIPT! Target won't accept returns without a receipt unless they can find your receipt in the system (within 90 days, looked up by your credit card or other trackable form of payment) Trackable forms of payment include Any credit card, debit card, check, and even a gift card. The only non trackable form of payment is cash. So if you paid with cash make sure you do not lose that receipt. Please read Target Return Policy for additional information.

If you are registered at Target and need to return something please read the Gift Registry Return Policy
    Q: What happens if something goes on sale at Target right after I bought it.
    See this email about Target's price adjustment policy.
    Q: Does Target price match other stores?Q: What does cashing out a gift card mean?
    Some Target stores will allow you to redeem a gift card for cash when the balance is $4.99 or less. Ask at Customer Service.
    Q: What is a GSTL? LOD? ETL?
    These are initialisms for management positions at Target. A manager/supervisor is called a Team Leader. GSTL stands for Guest Services Team Leader. This person is the supervisor for the in-store Customer Service folks and cashiers. LOD stands for Leader on Duty. ETL stands for Executive Team Leader.
    Q: What is a REDCard?
    Target has three different REDcards
    • Target Visa (Can Be used anywhere that accepts Visa) - No Longer Issued to New applicants
    • Target Credit Card (Can only be used at Target or target.com) - This is the only card that is now issued when applying for credit card
    • Target Check Card (AKA Target Debit Card) - Is not a credit card, comes straight out of your checking account (Must have a blank check from your checking account to apply).
    *All Cards are now eligible for everyday savings. Everytime you use any of the Target Cards you get 5% off your purchase, receive free shipping on Target.com, and earn an additional 5% off coupon everytime you fill 5 prescriptions at Target Pharmacy and use your REDcard
    as payment (some restrictions do apply).

The Target website has all you want to know about REDcards.
    -------------------------
    COUPONS

Q: What is Target's coupon policy?
    See Target's site for Target's Coupon Policy. Note that the word "guidelines" is used. Target gives each store a lot of leeway to make decisions about coupon acceptance at the local level.
    Q: Can I use a Target coupon and a manufacturer's coupon together on the same item?
    Yes, Target's Coupon Policy. However, each store is allowed to restrict coupon use as they deem appropriate.
    Q: Can I use a SuperTarget coupon at a regular Target store and vice versa?
    Yes. However, each store is allowed to restrict coupon use as they deem appropriate.
    Q: Does Target take printable manufacturer's coupons?
    Most stores do. However, each store is allowed to restrict coupon use as they deem appropriate. These can be printed in color or black and white.
    Q: Does Target take expired coupons?
    No, the corporate policy is to not accept expired Target or manufacturer's coupons. Because it is against corporate policy, please do not discuss using expired coupons here at HCW.

Q: Does Target take competitor's pharmacy coupons?
    No, not any longer. However, it never hurts to ask at your local store. The manager may decide to accept the coupon in order to keep your business.
    Q: Is there a limit to how many coupons I can use in one transaction?
    *As of June 2012 New Target Policy states Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon). So you can only use 4 identical coupons per person per household unless the coupon states a limit lower than 4 identical coupons.

Still read and abide by all restrictions printed on the coupon. Most of the Target coupons say, "Limit one item or offer per coupon". This just means you need a separate coupon for each item. Sometimes the coupon will be more restrictive, however, and say, "Limit one per transaction" or "Limit one per customer". Second, consult with your store's customer service folks. While there is no corporate mandated limit, some individual stores impose limits on the number of coupons, especially printables, you can use per day.

Sadly, the terms and conditions have changed on the Target printables. The coupons that just came out today say, "limit one offer per transaction." Please use them accordingly.
    We do not allow any discussion on HCW of using these coupons counter to the restrictions printed on them. Even if the cashier or manager tells you that you can use more than one per transaction at their store, please do not discuss it on HCW.
    Q: Can I use a coupon for more than the value of the product (e.g. a $1 coupon on a $0.97 item)? Do I get overage?
    Yes and maybe. See the Target Coupon Policy The cashier should adjust the coupon value down to match the item price. Sometimes the register will recognize a Target coupon and adjust it down automatically. Sometimes the register will automatically take off the full value of a manufacturer's coupon.
    Q: Can I use two coupons on a bundled value pack?
    No. Two items bundled together in a value pack have one UPC so are counted as one item. You can use one manufacturer's coupon and/or one Target coupon on the bundle.
    Q: BOGO Coupons and Stacking
    BOGO coupons cannot be combined(i.e. you cannot use two BOGO coupons on two items and get both for free). Unless stated otherwise on the coupon, the use of one Buy One Get One Free coupon requires that two of the valid items are presented at checkout of which one item will be charged to the guest and the 2nd item will be discounted by its full retail price.

A second cents-off coupon of the same type cannot be redeemed towards the purchase price of the first item.
    • If a Target BOGO coupon is used, one additional manufacturer coupon may be used on the first item.
    • If a Manufacturer BOGO coupon is used, one additional Target coupon may be used on the first item.
    Q: Help! My receipt is confusing!Q: If I realize that I've forgotten to give the cashier a coupon, is there anything I can do?
    Go to customer service and ask if they can give you a refund for the coupon value. Many stores will. Make sure you have your receipt!
    Q: Where do I get Target coupons?
    Target coupons come from many sources.

• The web - The main source for Target coupons is their website.Target Coupons information is given in the section of this FAQ that is dedicated to printable coupons.
    • Newspaper - Occasionally there will be Target coupons in the regular newspaper inserts or in Parade magazine.
    • Home mailers - Some people get home mailers from Target. No one has been able to figure out the pattern behind who gets these mailers or how to get on the mailing list.
    • Cash register tape/Catalinas - Sometimes coupons print at the end of the cash register tape or from the Catalina Marketing printer by the register.
    • Mobile Coupons - You can sign up to receive text alerts for some great coupons over your cell phone. Phones must have access to the internet.
      Target Mobile Coupons Signup
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    PRINTABLE TARGET COUPONS AND THE HCW GENERATOR
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Q: Where do I find Target printable coupons?
    The primary place is on the Target website. Target swaps out the main set of coupons on their website every two weeks, although the coupons generally expire on a four-week cycle. Occasionally other coupons get added off-schedule. You may also receive Target coupons in email through newsletters such as the one at luvs.com. Sometimes coupons are found through banner ads.
    Q: Where on the Target website are the coupons?
    Start at target.com. At the bottom of the page, click the link to "Grocery Coupons". Occasionally, there will be an ad in the New at Target section on the main target.com page that includes a coupon.
    Q: Can I print the coupons at the store? How?
    Yes. Go to the kiosk that you use for baby and wedding registries. These machines are generally near the customer service desk. From there, you can go to the Target website and print the coupons as you would from home. Obviously, only the latest set of coupons will be accessible this way.
    Q: Can I print the coupons in black and white?
    Yes. Target printables can be printed in color or black and white.
    Q: If I get a printable Target coupon in my email, where do I post it?
    First you must send it to the forum mods for approval. HCW has disallowed the posting of links to coupons in certain formats (essentially anything that is unlimited number of prints) unless approved by the mods. This is to help us make sure that our board only contains links to legitimate coupons.
    Q: How can I print more than one coupon on a page?
    The HCW Target coupon generator is a way of printing multiple Target coupons on a single page to save paper. You can access the HCW generator by clicking on the "Resources" tab at the top of the page and selecting "Target Coupon Generator". The term generator is somewhat of a misnomer. These coupons are not created out of whole cloth. They are all legitimate, officially released Target coupons.
    Q: What is this coupon generator I keep hearing about?
    The HCW Target coupon generator is a way of printing multiple Target coupons on a single page to save paper. You can access the HCW generator by clicking on the "Resources" tab at the top of the page and selecting "Target Coupon Generator". The term generator is somewhat of a misnomer. These coupons are not created out of whole cloth. They are all legitimate, officially released Target coupons.
    Q: I found another generator on the web that has more coupons than the one at HCW. Where do I post the link?
    You don't. We have our own generator at HCW so that we can ensure that the coupons in it are legitimate, officially released Target coupons. If you see a coupon online that you believe to be real, please let the moderators know. If we can verify it, we will add it to the HCW generator.
    GIFT CARD PROMOTIONS

Q: What are gift card promotions?
    Target often does promotions where if you buy $X worth of products or Y number of them, they will give you a gift card.
    Q: How do I get my gift card?
    Right after the appropriate items are scanned, the cashier will be prompted to activate a gift card. The cashier should have a stash of gift cards in his/her drawer, or you may need to grab a gift card off the shelf. This can get a little confusing if the cashier has never done one before. Your receipt should show +$X for the gift card then -$X. You should walk away with a gift card in hand.
    Q: Can I use my gift card right away?
    You can not use your gift card on the same transaction. The transaction on which you earn the gift card must be closed out and paid for before the gift card will be fully activated.
    Q: How many deals am I allowed to do in a single transaction?
    First, check the ad for any stated limits. If there are no limits in the ad, then our collective experience is that you can do as many deals as you want in a single transaction.
    Q: Will I still get my gift card if I use manufacturer's coupons?
    Yes. For gift card promotions that require you buy a certain dollar value of merchandise, that dollar value is calculated before manufacturer's coupons.

Q: How do I know if my item qualifies for the promotion?
    The best way is to follow the ad verbiage and in-store signage. That way if there is a problem at the register, you have something in writing to which to refer. If your store has the newer LCD screen scanners, scan your item. If it is included in the promotion, the right side of the screen should indicate that there is a gift card promotion for the item.

(Permission to repost elsewhere is denied)

- Credit to Pennywatcher

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  2. pennywatcher

pennywatcher Mod Of The Month Dec 2007 Trader Group

Target FAQ - receipts

Confused by your Target receipt? I don't blame you. Target has some of the most convoluted receipts I've ever seen. I'll walk you through a myriad of scenarios below.

NO COUPONS

We bought one bag of peanut butter M&Ms for $0.54. The receipt showed:

111111111......PB M MS.........FB....0.54
    The "B" means that it should be taxed at the lower food rate. Not all states have sales tax or multiple sales tax categories. The 9-digit number at the beginning of the line is the Target-assigned product number. This is not printed on your package anywhere.

We bought one bottle of Huggies shampoo. The receipt showed:

111111111......HUGGIES..........T....2.84
    The "T" means it is taxable at the general sales tax rate.

We bought 0.87 pounds of red bell peppers on sale for $2.99 per pound. The receipt showed:

111111111......RED BELL........FB....2.60
    ...............0.87 LBS @ 2.99/LB
    We bought two identical bags of Archer Farms coffee for $0.99 each. The receipt showed:

111111111......AF COFFEE.......FB....1.98
    ...............2 @ 0.99
    MANUFACTURER'S COUPONS

Sometimes the register is smart enough to know exactly what product your coupon is for, but sometimes it isn't. If it knows what product your manufacturer's coupon is for, then it will list that coupon directly under the item. If it doesn't recognize the item, it will list the coupon at the bottom of the receipt.

We bought a container of Huggies wipes for $2.29 and used a $0.75/1 manufacturer's coupon. The receipt showed:

111111111......HUGGIES..........T....2.29
    222222222222...MFR COUPON............0.75-
    The 12-digit number in front of the coupon is the same as the number under the first barcode on the coupon.

TARGET COUPONS OFF SINGLE ITEMS

As with manufacturer's coupons, sometimes the Target register knows to what item to hook the coupon and sometimes it doesn't.

We bought a bag of Archer Farms coffee for $0.99 and used a $1/1 Target coupon. The receipt showed:

111111111......AF COFFEE.......FB....0.99
    <more items>​
    11111111.......TARGET COUPON.........1.00-
    The register did not associate the coupon with the coffee so the Target coupon was listed at the bottom of the receipt. The 8-digit number in front of the Target coupon is the third and fourth blocks of numbers under the coupon barcode.

We bought a package of Archer Farms snack mix for $0.99 and used a $0.75/1 Target coupon. The receipt showed:

111111111......AF SNACK MIX....FB....0.24
    ...............Coupon $0.75 off 0.99
    In this case, the register recognized that the coupon should be attached to this specific product so the Target coupon value was automatically deducted from our sale price ($0.99 - $0.75 = $0.24). If we were to later return this item, our refund would be $0.24 because Target only collected $0.24 in payment from us.

We bought a package of broccoli for $0.99 and used a $1/1 Target coupon. The receipt showed:

111111111......BROCCOLI........FB....0.00
    ...............Coupon $0.99 off 0.99
    In this case the register was not only smart enough to associate the coupon to the specific item, but also smart enough to adjust the value of the coupon down to $0.99 since the coupon was for more than the cost of the item.

TARGET COUPONS OFF MULTIPLE ITEMS

This is where it starts to get complicated. Target does "packages" whenever you were required to buy more than one item to meet the terms of a Target coupon or promotion.

We bought two identical containers of Huggies wipes for $2.29 each and used a $3/2 Target coupon. The receipt showed:

---------------SPECIAL COUPON---------------
    111111111......HUGGIES...............4.58
    ...............2 @ 2.29
    ...............Refund Value $0.79 Each..T
    .................................---------
    ...............PACKAGE SUBTOTAL......4.58
    ...............TARGET COUPON.........3.00-
    .................................=========
    ...............PACKAGE TOTAL.........1.58
    --------------------------------------------
    The "package subtotal" is the sum of the sale prices. The "package total" is the sale price minus Target coupons. In other words, that's how much Target received for this transaction. If we wanted to return just one of the containers, we would get the "refund value" of $0.79 back. That is the sale price ($2.29) minus half of the $3/2 Target coupon ($1.50). If we returned the entire "package" (i.e. both containers of wipes) we would get the "package total" value of $1.58. The "T" next to the "refund value" again means that the items are taxed at the general rate.

We bought two containers of Huggies wipes for $2.39 and used a $3/2 Target coupon and a $0.75/1 coupon for each. The receipt showed:

---------------SPECIAL COUPON---------------
    111111111......HUGGIES...............2.39
    111111111111...MFR COUPON............0.75-
    ...............Refund Value $0.89..T
    111111111......HUGGIES...............2.39
    111111111111...MFR COUPON............0.75-
    ...............Refund Value $0.89..T
    ...............PACKAGE SUBTOTAL......4.78
    ...............TARGET COUPON.........3.00-
    ...............PACKAGE TOTAL.........1.78
    If we wanted to return just one of the containers, we would get the "refund value" of $0.89 back. That is the sale price ($2.39) minus half of the $3/2 Target coupon ($1.50). If we returned the entire "package" (i.e. both containers of wipes) we would get the "package total" value of $1.78.

The "refund value" is how much Target received for the sale. We did not pay $0.89 out of pocket in real money for each container of wipes, however. We actually paid only $0.14 which is the $0.89 refund value minus the $0.75 manufacturer's coupon. The manufacturer's coupons will be reflected in the subtotal at the bottom of the receipt.

GIFT CARD PROMOTIONS

Take a moment to give your brain a break because this is where it starts to get REALLY complicated.

We bought a Glade candle for $9.78. This candle was part of a promotion where you would get a $5 gift card for buying the item. The receipt showed:

---------------SPECIAL PROMOTION------------
    111111111......GLADE.................9.78
    ...............Refund Value $4.78..T
    111111111......GIFT CARDS............5.00
    ...............111-111-111-111-111
    ...............NEW BAL:..5.00
    ...............PACKAGE SUBTOTAL.....14.78
    ...............GIFTCARD FREE.........5.00-
    ...............PACKAGE TOTAL.........9.78
    ALL ITEMS MUST BE RETURNED FOR FULL REFUND
    The "package total" ($9.78) is what we handed over in payment. From Target's perspective, we gave them $9.78 payment, and they gave us $5 back in the form of a gift card so they only got $4.78 on the sale. That means if we wanted to return just the candle without the gift card, we would only get the "refund value" ($9.78 - $5 = $4.78) back. If we were to return the candle and the unused gift card, we would get back the "package total" ($9.78).

We purchased the same candle as above, but used a $4/1 manufacturer's coupon. The receipt showed:
    ---------------SPECIAL PROMOTION------------
    111111111......GLADE.................9.78
    111111111111...MFR COUPON............4.00-
    ...............Refund Value $4.78..T
    111111111......GIFT CARDS............5.00
    ...............111-111-111-111-111
    ...............NEW BAL:..5.00
    ...............PACKAGE SUBTOTAL.....14.78
    ...............GIFTCARD FREE.........5.00-
    ...............PACKAGE TOTAL.........9.78
    ALL ITEMS MUST BE RETURNED FOR FULL REFUND
    Again the manufacturer's coupon does not affect the package total or refund value. The discount is reflected in the subtotal at the bottom of the receipt.

THE BOTTOM OF THE RECEIPT

In my county in Georgia, we have items that are taxed at a food rate (3%) and items that are taxed at a higher, general rate (7%). The tax is levied on the post-Target coupon, pre-manufacturer's coupon price.

The bottom of my receipt might look like this:
    SUBTOTAL 2.55
    T = GA TAX. 7.0000% on 10.35 0.72
    B = GA TAX. 3.0000% on 6.05 0.18
    TOTAL 3.45
    The "subtotal" is the total price of all my items minus all coupons. The line that starts with "T" is for tax at the general rate. I had $10.35 of merchandise that was taxable at this rate. That is $10.35 after Target coupons, but before manufacturer's coupons. 7% of $10.35 is $0.72. The line that starts with "B" is for tax at the food rate. I had $6.05 of merchandise that was taxable at this rate. That is $6.05 after Target coupons, but before manufacturer's coupons. 3% of $6.05 is $0.18. The "total" is the total due to Target in the form of cash, credit card, gift card, etc.

(Permission to repost elsewhere is denied)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  3. pennywatcher

Re: Target FAQ - revised

Bumping this thread because I've revised the FAQ.

4. zansammommy

zansammommy New Member Trader Group

MF & Target together??

Can I combine mf coupons with printable Target store coupons?

I wasn't sure if I can stack them up like that.

xxxxx has some & I also have mf Q so it would be a nice deal but wanted to check with the experts before I order.

Thanks
    Kate

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  5. druidessemily

druidessemily Member Of The Month Oct 2008 Trader Group

Re: MF & Target together??

Yes, you can! One manu coupon and one Target coupon for each item purchased. Unless one of the coupons say 'not valid with any other discounts, sales, or coupons' or whatever.

6. eisor

eisor New Member Trader Group

Actually, if it says "not valid with any other discounts" or "not valid with any other sales" you CAN use another coupon. You can't use another coupon if it says "not valid with any other coupon." Coupons are NOT discounts & sales. They are forms of payment.

And, yes you can use both a manu & target coupon together.

7. wannabefree

wannabefree New Member Trader Group

I stacked the O'Cello coupons last night. ($1/2 manuf and $1/1 Target) They still weren't that great of a deal but I needed a scrubbie for the kitchen.

The manuf printable didn't scan and she had to enter the numbers manually but never batted an eye.

8. druidessemily

druidessemily Member Of The Month Oct 2008 Trader Group

When I've seen that line, I've usually seen it in it's entirety, which is why I included the entire line in quotes. I did not mean to say that if it just says "not valid with other discounts" you can't use coupons. Perhaps I should have just said if it says anywhere on it not valid with other coupons.

9. pennywatcher

If you're new to couponing at Target, you might want to read through our FAQ.

One caution I would give you about ordering Target coupons is to make sure they aren't freely printable coupons. There are people out there who sell the printable ones and, unless you don't have a printer of your own, there's no reason I can see to purchase them.

10. zansammommy

Mfr With Target Store Q??

I have Target insert looking Q fro Juicy Juice and Carnation Instant Breakfast? They have Target coupon next to the date so can I use them with the manufacture Q I have.

Crossing my fingers since that is why I got them.

Also can you use Manufacture ones with the printable from the generator?

Thanks a bunch!

11. ashleydawnsanford

ashleydawnsanford New Member Trader Group

Re: Mfr With Target Store Q??

that is how it has worked for me,
    i got picante sauce 24oz for $2.99 had mfr cpn for.75/2 and target coupon for .75/1 used coupons in transcation and got much needed picante sauce for $1.86 each

12. pennywatcher

Yes, you can use a Target coupon and a manufacturer coupon on the same item. That includes the printable Target coupons in the generator.

13. zansammommy

Yeah thanks! Looks like I will be saving 2.00 on them and going to Target!

:BigHand:

14. mrsjschultz

mrsjschultz New Member Trader Group

Yup =)

I got lots of the Juicy Juice a while back using both a Target q and a manf q. One of the MANY reasons I LOVE Target!!

15. collectorofbells

collectorofbells New Member Trader Group

yes you can...sometimes ( at least in my store) they get stupid and try to tell me I can't use two coupons...that's when you smile and say "one is a manf. coupon and the other is a target Q" then the lightbulb goes off and they put them thro...

16. Ben10

Ben10 New Member Trader Group

My Target won't take both :(
    Should I fight? :biggrin:

17. pennywatcher

"We'll accept one Target coupon and one manufacturer coupon for the same item, unless either coupon prohibits it." is explicitly written into their coupon guidelines, so you might have a chance at fighting it. If your store isn't allowing the use of the coupons because they are uninformed of the corporate guidelines, then you have a good chance at making a change. If your store is choosing to go against the corporate guidelines, then you probably won't get anywhere because Target gives their stores leeway to go against the guidelines. If you find out the store is choosing to go against the guidelines, then one thing you could do is ask corporate why your local store is doing so. That question will trickle down the ranks to the person who actually made the decision to go against the guidelines, and he/she will probably have to justify it.

18. wantabunch

wantabunch New Member Trader Group

Read through the FAQ, didn't see this:

Will Target price match competitors ads? Will they accept competitors coupons? And if they do, can I use a competitors store coupon and target store coupon on same item? Thanks.

19. eisor

eisor New Member Trader Group

It is my understanding that they don't price match and don't take competitor coupons.

20. SyLph211

SyLph211 New Member Trader Group

I read the faq but wasn't sure about this one... any help would be appreicated.

I am not familiar with targets return policy as usually I have my receipt. I bought a wireless usb adapter for 33.99 and it would not work on my laptop. I have turned my house upside down and still nothing. Can I return the USB adapter without my receipt and use targets receipt lookup system with my Credit Card? Will they give me my money back for it since it is over $20.00 or am I just S-O-L?