Recipes - Tried & True Summer Cookout Salad Recipes - to Compliment your Summer Grilling! (List from XUfan's RAOK post)

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
I had to be a detective to find the RAOK list from XUFan's request since it was in the trade archive!

Here's the list of Tried & True Summer Salad Recipes:
[MENTION=300094]MsSweetCheeks[/MENTION] - This is one of my favorite salads.

Grilled Chicken and Apple Salad
Take 1/2 bag of Tyson Chicken Strips and cook them in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Take a big salad bowl and add lettuce, pecans, and diced apples. You can also add cranberries to this salad. Add cooked chicken strips and serve with a raspberry vinegarette salad dressing.
[MENTION=29023]slw1127[/MENTION] -
Black Bean Salad
§ 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
§ 4 Tbsp. olive oil
§ 2 tsp. lemon juice
§ 2 cloves garlic, minced
§ 4 tsp. sugar
§ 4 cups black beans (from freezer*, thawed & rinsed, or 1 can, rinsed)
§ 2 cups cut corn, drained
§ 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
§ 4 Tbsp. dried parsley
Combine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and sugar. Mix well and combine with remaining ingredients. Place in fridge for an hour or two to chill. Toss before serving.

I love this recipe but usually half it because no one else in my family likes it as much. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
[MENTION=375305]behindblueeyes1983[/MENTION] - Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad with Balsamic Dressing

Ingredients

balsamic dressing
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic minced
salt and pepper

grilled summer vegetables
1 small eggplant - be sure to salt good before grilling!!
1 small bell pepper, color of your choice
1 small cucumber
1 medium size carrot
1 small zucchini
1/2 small red onion
2/3 cup cherry tomatoes
3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves stripped
you can add in any other summer vegetable you have on hand.

Also, but it is up to you...
2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
you can substitute with pecans, walnuts, almonds or toasted pine nuts for a vegan dish

Directions
(this is how I do it, you can input with your style)

Whisk together all the balsamic dressing ingredients and set aside.

Cut the eggplant, cucumber and zucchini into around 1" - 2" cubes. preference to size is yours.
Cut the red onion into rings.
Cut the bell peppers and carrots into 1/2" wide X 2" long strips
Put the cubed eggplant, zucchini, red onion, tomatoes and thyme leaves into a bowl.
Pour half the balsamic dressing over the vegetables and toss well.

Brush grill grates with olive oil or non-stick spray (you can also prepare them in the oven, on broil, but not sure how...)
Heat grill to medium-high.
Grill the vegetables about 3 minutes on one side or till grill marks appear
Turn them over and grill the other side till vegetables are tender but still a bit firm.

Add about a handful of cheese on the top of your salad, more or less to taste.

The balsamic dressing that remains in the bowl, pour how much you want on your salad!
Enjoy!

NOM NOM NOM!!! <-------(((that's me eating wanting some!!!!!))) LOL!
[MENTION=300094]MsSweetCheeks[/MENTION] - Grilled Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
3-4 Tyson Pre-Cooked Chicken Breasts, cut into strips or little pieces (or any pre-cooked Chicken Breasts will do)
1 Big Lettuce Bag
1 Small Bag of Baby Spinage (optional)
1 onion, cut into rings
1 Bell Pepper, cut into rings
1/2 cup to 1 cup of mushrooms (optional)
1 cup of croutons
1/2 cut of almonds
1/2 cup of McCormick Salad Toppings
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of fresh garlic
1/2 cup parmesian cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese

Take olive oil and sautee onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic in a skillet. Let cook for a little while and then add chicken. Cook until done.

Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix well and serve with your favorite salad dressing. I love using catalina salad dressing on this type of salad.
[MENTION=29023]slw1127[/MENTION] - Cauliflower Salad

1 head of lettuce
1 head of cauliflower
1# of bacon cut in pieces then cooked until crispy
1 small onion
2 cups mayonnaise
1/3 c sugar
1/2 c Parmesan cheese

Tear lettuce in bite size pieces. Rinse and cut up cauliflower in small pieces. Add cooked bacon. Cut up onion. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over salad and toss. Actually gets better as it sits. Even though it looks soggy it still tastes good.

You could also use broccoli for some or all of the cauliflower. Since I am cutting back on sugar, I would probably half the amount of sugar in the recipe now.
[MENTION=375305]behindblueeyes1983[/MENTION] - Crunchy Celery and Pear Salad
4 cups lettuce of choice, shredded
4 medium stalks celery, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar, or any other fruit vinegar of your choice
3 tablespoons honey
2 large ripe pears - diced
1 cup finely diced/shredded white Cheddar cheese
2/3 cup chopped pecans, optional - toasted
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt

Soak celery in a bowl of ice water for about 15 minutes.
Then drain and pat dry, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
Whisk together the vinegar, honey and salt in a large bowl until well blended.
Add in the pears and gently stir to coat.
Add the celery, pecans and cheese, just stir to mix well.
Adding in pepper to taste.
Evenly split the lettuce leaves among plates and then top each with a equal portion of salad.

Makes around 5 or 6 servings.
Serve cold or at room temperature.
[MENTION=300094]MsSweetCheeks[/MENTION] - Taco Salad

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
1 Big Lettuce Bag
1 Small Bag of Baby Spinage (optional)
1 onion, cut into rings
1 Bell Pepper, cut into rings
1/2 cup to 1 cup of mushrooms (optional)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of fresh garlic
1 cup cheddar cheese
Crushed Tortilia Chips
Taco Seasoning Pack

Take olive oil and sautee onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic in a skillet. Let cook for a little while and then add ground beef or ground turkey. Cook until done. Add Taco Seasoning Mix and follow directions on pack.

Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix well and serve with your salsa.
[MENTION=255041]tndee[/MENTION] - I like to make a Tossed Salad with a few twists.

1 bag of mixed salad greens (no iceberg)
2 boiled eggs, either cut up or diced (some stores now have the already boiled eggs)
1 Cucumber, washed and peeled, then cut into small pieces
1 bag shredded carrots
1 carton grape tomatoes, washed and drained
1 bell pepper of any color, washed, seeded, and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup raisins (plus or minus to taste)
1/2 cup sunflower kernels (plus or minus to taste)
1 pkg shredded Colby Jack cheese

Toss all together and serve with your choice of salad dressings. I like to use Italian dressing or Blue Cheese but DH likes Ranch on everything.
[MENTION=241584]TexJoybell[/MENTION] - This is one of my Mimi's favorites and I'm the only one she taught to make it. She called it Pink Stuff.

Pink Stuff

Ingredients:
1 Large cool whip, thawed
1 Large box of strawberry jello
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
1 C chopped pecans
1 small container of cottage cheese, drained

How To:
Empty cool whip into a bowl. Slowly stir in jello. Stir this really well and make sure the cool whip and jello are very well combined so it's not gritty. Then just stir in the remaining ingredients. Chill and serve. It's so yummy!
[MENTION=29023]slw1127[/MENTION] - Taco Pasta Salad - You could possibly substitute the meat with something else or just leave it out.

Ingredients
2 cups uncooked spiral pasta (I get the tri color pasta)
1 pound ground beef
1 envelope taco seasoning
3 cups shredded lettuce
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup Catalina salad dressing
Tortilla chips or Doritos
Directions
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning and cool.
Drain pasta and rinse in cold water; stir into meat mixture. Add the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, onion, green pepper and dressing; toss to coat. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 6 servings.
[MENTION=5150]greenfrog57[/MENTION] - Bowtie Chicken Caesar Salad

I've made this recipe without the chicken, just reduce the dressing by half.

1 (10oz) bag romaine lettuce
3 c bowtie (farfalle) pasta, cooked, rinsed under cold water & drained
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt & pepper, to taste
1 T lemon juice
1/4c Parmesan cheese (I prefer shredded)
1 c Croutons
3/4 c - 1c Caesar Salad Dressing (I use
0002100068275_300X300.jpg
- It's a lighter version of Caesar dressing)

Season chicken breasts (if using) with salt & pepper and grill until done. Sprinkle lemon juice on chicken breasts and set aside. Slice cooled chicken into bite-sized pieces. Toss lettuce, pasta, chicken, cheese, and croutons together in a lare bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss again. Serve immediately, or feel free to refigerate and serve cold.
[MENTION=29023]slw1127[/MENTION] - How about a yummy dessert salad. I haven't made this in years, so not sure how I would reduce the sugar and if it would work. It's a great thing for potlucks.

PRETZEL SALAD

2 2/3 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
1 1/2 cubes margarine, melted
12 oz. cream cheese, softened (lite or fat‑free don't work well)
1-cup sugar
1 carton cool‑whip
2 cups canned pineapple juice
1 lg. box jello (any flavor you like)
1 bag frozen fruit (any kind that goes well with the jello you choose)

Mix pretzels and melted margarine. Press evenly on bottom of 9X13 pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool completely in the refrigerator. Using hand mixer in large bowl, cream together cream cheese and sugar. Fold in cool‑whip. Spread VERY carefully over cold pretzels, making sure to completely seal all edges so jello won't seep under (it makes the pretzels soggy). Bring pineapple juice to a boil then whisk in jello, stirring until completely dissolved. Add frozen fruit. Allow to sit a few minutes until about room temperature then carefully pour over cream cheese mixture in pan. Arrange fruit evenly in pan. Refrigerate until jello is firm, about two hours.

This tastes best eaten the same day you make it. The pretzels get soggy by the second day.
Some good jello‑fruit combos:
cranberry‑raspberry/ cranberry‑mandarin orange (canned)
raspberry‑strawberry/strawberry‑strawberry
strawberry‑raspberry/orange‑raspberry
[MENTION=353701]MomToCH[/MENTION] - Layered Mexican Party Salad

INGREDIENTS

1 box Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad classic pasta salad mix or any pasta you like
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (15.25 oz) corn, drained
4 cups torn romaine lettuce
1 container (12 oz) refrigerated guacamole dip
1 1/2 cups finely shredded Mexican 4-cheese blend (6 oz)
3 plum (Roma) tomatoes, chopped
1 can (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
3 cups nacho-flavored tortilla chips

Empty Pasta mix into 3-quart saucepan 2/3 full of boiling water. Gently boil uncovered 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Drain pasta; rinse with cold water. Shake to drain well. In medium bowl, stir together seasoning mix, oil, water and cumin. Stir in pasta, beans and corn.
In 4-quart glass salad bowl or 13x9-inch glass baking dish, layer lettuce and pasta mixture. Spread guacamole evenly over top. Sprinkle with cheese and tomatoes; top with olives.
Just before serving, arrange chips around edge of bowl. Serve immediately, or refrigerate.
[MENTION=207213]STallerico[/MENTION] - I don't know if you want fruit salads but this is Yummy!!

Honey Lime Melon
4 cups mixed melon balls, (cantaloupe, watermelon, or honey dew)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime peel

Halve your melons and seed them, then scoop out bite-sized balls with a melon ball scooper and toss together in a large bowl.
Whisk together the freshly-squeezed lime juice, honey and lime zest, then pour over the melon and gently toss to combine.
Refrigerate for one hour
[MENTION=185363]jgaley[/MENTION] - Here is one of my crews favorite!!! Can't go wrong with anything with corn around here.. it is very good and just gets better the longer it is made!

Corn Salad
2 cans whole kernel corn
1/2 small chopped onion
1/2 chopped bell pepper
3 blades of chopped green onion
2 medium chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
1/4 cup Ranch dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Just drain your corn and mix all the ingredients together and chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serving. I have made it with not as many onions or without bell pepper and even the cucumber and it still be very good. Just depends on your taste and I always mix up my own Ranch dressing from the pack and it was so much better but that is all we will eat as far as Ranch dressing around here so it all depends on your taste. Hope ya like and this helps!
[MENTION=29023]slw1127[/MENTION] - This recipe is from the Pampered Chef cookbook “29 Minutes to Dinnerâ€. (page 111). I made it the other night. I thought it was tasty as well as healthy. I used a 15 oz can of chickpeas and thought there were plenty.
Ingredients:
Dressing:

• 1 lemon
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (it won’t have the same “kick†if you substitute black pepper)

Salad:

• 1 can chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)
  • 1/2 small red onion
  • 1 4inch piece seedless cucumber
  • 3 plum tomatoes
  • 2 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh mint
  • 2 oz queso fresco or feta cheese (we made it with feta and it was great)
  • Toasted pita bread (optional)

Instructions:
1. For dressing, juice lemon to measure 3 Tbsp juice. Whisk together lemon juice, oil, cinnamon, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper in bowl. (Bowl needs to be big enough to hold all salad ingredients!)
2. For salad, drain and rinse chickpeas. Chop onion half and add to chickpeas.
3. Chop cucumber, seed and chop tomatoes. Add chickpeas, onion, cucumber and tomatoes to dressing, toss to coat. Thinly slice mint and told into salad.
4. Top each salad with either thinly sliced queso fresco or crumbled feta cheese. Serve with toasted pita bread if desired.
[MENTION=159384]moma9625[/MENTION] - Salad with Ramen Noodle Mix

2 (3oz) pkgs ramen noodle soup mix (throw out seasoning packet)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
2 tbsp slivered almonds, chopped (I use a pack)
1/4 honey (or 1/2 cup sugar) (I use sugar)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 bok choy, shredded (chinese white cabbage) or you can use green leafy lettuce
6 green onions, chopped (optional)

Remove flavor pkts from soup mix: reserve for another use. Crumble noodles.
Combine noodles, sunflower seeds and almonds. Spread on a 15x10 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 mins or until golden brown; set aside.

Bring sugar and next 3 ingredients to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from
heat and cool.

Place bok choy or lettuce and green onions in a large bowl. Drizzle with
sugar mixture. Add ramen noodle mixture, tossing well. Serve immediately. Yeild 6 to 8
servings.
[MENTION=336]lazy1608[/MENTION] - 3 Bean Salad

1 c. red wine vinegar
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
8 oz. green beans, fresh or canned
8 oz. yellow wax beans, fresh or canned
(1) 15.5 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1/4 c. minced fresh parsley

1. Heat the vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, 1t. salt and pinch of pepper in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Pour into bowl large enough to hold the salad and set aside.

2. Cook the green and yellow beans in 3 qts. boiling water seasoned with 1 T. salt until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Plunge the beans immediately into ice water and allow to cool for 2 minutes before draining. I have also used canned beans in place of the fresh beans and I just rinse them and then use the beans as is from the cans.

3. Stir all of the beans, the onion and the parsley into the vinegar mixture and refrigerate at least 8 hours to let the flavors meld. Bring to room temperature for 30 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste.

**Can be prepared, covered and refrigerated up to 2 days in advance**

I have also added a can of cannelini beans to bump up the beans!

I have used this recipe for so many parties. It always is well received and very often there are no left overs!!

[MENTION=2062]mttsmm7[/MENTION] -
Ramen noodle salad

Ingredients:

Servings:
4-6

Units: US | Metric
.1 (8 ounce) bag coleslaw mix (I used half of a 16 oz. bag)
1 package ramen noodles, raw & crushed (I like the Oriental Flavor)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (I used dry roasted)
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar (I use 6 pkts. of Splenda)

Directions:

1 Mix together the coleslaw mix, crushed noodles& sunflower kernels.

2 In a small bowl, mix the Ramen Noodle seasoning pkt.,oil, vinegar& sugar together.

3 Mix all together& refrigerate at least 2 hours.