Vegtables Squash Dressing - simple and easy

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Really good, much better than the individual ingredients sound - I promise. Plus you can use zucchini or yellow squash or both. Easily doubled or tripled and you can use more squash than recipe calls for with no problem.

Squash Dressing
2 cups sliced yellow squash
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup water
2 cups cornbread crumbs or Pepperidge Farm
¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
1 10 oz. can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
¼ tsp. pepper
whatever other seasonings you enjoy

Wash and cut ends off squash, then slice. Chop onion, then combine squash, onion, and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until squash and onion are tender. Drain well, mash (I mash in the colander). Combine squash mix with remaining ingredients, stir well. Spoon into a greased casserole or pan. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. 4-6 servings. This is a quick, simple recipe. You really can’t tell squash is in it although if you use zucchini you'll see bits of color throughout.

I always use Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing mix and I bake longer than 25 minutes. The dressing will be moist when you take out of the oven but will continue to dry up some.

Last edited:

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
[MENTION=207859]3timesoccermom[/MENTION] - Could I use a substitute for the canned cream of chicken? I am so not a fan....

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
I understand - a lot of people dislike it and the ingredients alone do not sound very appetizing, plus I know the soups are high in sodium (although there are lower sodium/fat-free types too). The main purpose of it in the recipe seems to be holding the dressing together - you can not taste the soup (at least I can't, those with more refined palates might). But, maybe just adding some water or stock and an egg would work? Those are the same things used in all the holiday dressing recipes. Or maybe just not even draining the squash, just mashing it up and using it that way.

I know there are lots of homemade substitutes for cream soups too if you want to go that route, it just adds a little more time and makes it a not quite as easy dish.

Maybe you could try a half batch using one of those suggestions - that way if it's not liked you won't have wasted much.

Of course nothing will help if you or your family don't like the taste of bagged stuffing to start with.

@3timesoccermom - Could I use a substitute for the canned cream of chicken? I am so not a fan....

R

robinbrooke

Squash dressing is one of my favorite ways to eat squash. I think it's so good. I use homemade cornbread in my recipe.

C

clippyclippy

This looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it.
I love squash casseroles of any kind, but so many of them use whole sticks of butter...

I would probably substitute the cream of chicken soup with a white sauce, adding some chicken bouillon or some of that Better than Bouillon chicken base.

Thanks Renee!