Recipes - Super Simple Spinach And Artichoke Bread

tacatcon

Mod Of The Month April 2009
Trader Group
This is really easy and I made it last year for Christmas Eve but with only spinach. Added artichokes this year and it was even more popular.

You can make it for an appetizer or a meal really!

One loaf frozen bread dough
1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 small onion chopped
1 small jar marinated artichokes, chopped and drained (give them a whirl in your food processor)
8-10 oz mozzarella or cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp white cheddar)
pam spray or shortening
2 tbsp olive oil

Thaw the frozen bread dough and let it rise according to package instructions ( takes at least 6 hours to let it rise to double its size).

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 10 X 14 rectangle (or as close as you can get it).

Cook onion in olive oil until golden brown then add spinach and artichokes and mix. Spread on dough stopping about an inch away from each edge. Sprinkle cheese on top of that.

Roll the dough "jelly roll" style and pinch the seam of the dough shut. Cook with seam side down on a greased cookie sheet/pan at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bread is lightly browned. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing.

You can make all kinds of variations of this. We make a pizza bread like this and a ham and cheese bread too. This year I made the bread rolls ahead and froze before baking. Then I baked them for about 45 minutes at 350 to account for the being frozen.

If you do freeze them, you'll want to wrap in saran wrap that you spray with a little Pam or apply a little shortening to first. Then wrap in foil.
Enjoy!:wink7:

R

rbunnymom

This sounds yummy! I am going to try to adapt it using a gf bread dough. Wish me luck. LOL