Spicy Zucchini and Tomato Casserole

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
Did you plant zucchini this year? Are you overrun with it, now that it's harvest time?
I made this last week, and it was a big hit! My husband has already asked for it again!

Light Spicy Zucchini and Tomato Casserole

2 lbs. zucchini
Olive oil spray
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Garlic powder
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (14.5 oz) no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1/3 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Preheat the oven broiler. Slice the zucchini on a sharp angle, about 1/2" thick, and place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil spray. Spray the zucchini slices, then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Broil for 5 minutes, then flip them over, season them, and broil for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Set oven temp to bake at 400.

Meanwhile, heat the 1 tsp olive oil in a medium pot on medium high heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add the chili powder, cumin, and tomatoes. Continue to cook until the tomatoes are soft and the sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and lightly mash the tomatoes with a fork.

Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray. Place half of the zucchini slices in the bottom of the dish, and top with half of the tomato mixture. Repeat the layers. Cover with foil. Bake until bubbly and hot, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with cheese and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minute. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Notes: The recipe originally called for 1 jalapeno pepper, diced, instead of the pepper flakes. I made it with the flakes, and it was wonderful! Also, I didn't use any cheese at all the first time I made it.