3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1 cup red wine
1 tbsp sugar
1 16 oz can tomato sauce (I used my homemade jarred tomato sauce)
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes (I used my homemade jarred diced tomatoes)
salt and pepper to taste

In a dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and brown the ground beef. Remove from the pot and set aside. Saute the onions until translucent. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Saute for about 5 - 7 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and all the spices. Saute for another 5 - 7 minutes. Add the ground beef back in and combine well. Deglaze the pot with the cup of red wine. Add the tomato sauce, sugar and the diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and let cook 2 - 3 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste.

TiggerToo

Mod Of The Month Oct. 2011<br>Has A Heart Of Pure
Trader Group
Sounds yummy!

Oh...it is Kremsh!!! It is...don't let the 2 -3 hours simmering time scare you either. People usually get scared over this, "open a jar of spaghetti sauce heat for 10 minutes and there you go". I usually make a large batch (double everything) and let it simmer on a Saturday or Sunday while I am cleaning the house, periodically stirring to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom. This way you can monitor your sodium content and everything else those jarred sauces put into theirs. KWIM? Then you can store and freeze for future use. It is pure heaven. And seriously doesn't take anything to whip up!

S

Smee

It is very similar to how I make it except I usually deglaze with broth and not wine.

And not only sodium content, but what's with all the sugar in jarred sauces? A supposedly savory sauce should not taste like candy!

kremsh

Krem Pit
Trader Group
I've been making my sauce for 27 years using a recipe from the checkered recipe book, I can flip almost to the exact page it's so worn and used. :giggle2: I agree, the longer it simmers the better it tastes. It's DS favorite meal, when he was younger he would tell his friend's mom's their spaghetti was good but his mom's was better!

I do cheat from time to time with a jar when I'm in a rush, but it will never become a habit.

G

GinetaZeimiene

Sounds good, i'm gonna try this one for today's dinner :)