Someone used my SS#

Discussion in 'Finances' started by 3timesoccermom, Oct 15, 2015.

1. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

We always file our taxes in October and the CPA just told my husband that our tax return was rejected because someone use my SS#. I am reading up on this as fast as I can to find out what to do - have done a credit freeze with 1 credit bureau - but does anyone have any advice?

When he told me this over the phone a little bit ago I felt sick.

The CPA has told him what to do about the taxes but what else?

cheynesnana likes this.
  2. keylimepie

keylimepie Well-Known Member Trader Group

Oh dear....sorry, I hope you get everything resolved. Sorry you have to deal with this. I have no helpful advice, wish I did.

3. 3timesoccermom

That's ok, thanks, it just means (I hope) that you haven't had this happen.

4. rrpate

rrpate Member Of The Month Feb. 2011 Trader Group

do you do a free credit report every year at all 3 places... free credit report . com i believe credit karma will give you a free score too... on the reports it will show new open accounts and such as inquiry's
    i do hope that you catch it in time...

5. 3timesoccermom

Yes, thank you, I read about that and did it although the 2nd report didn't come through. The first one didn't show anything strange though. I just hope this was caught in time but I can't help but think it's the beginning of major problems.

6. joshmamabear

joshmamabear Member Of The Month Nov. 2011 Trader Group

7. 3timesoccermom

Thank you - I'll read every word.

8. 3timesoccermom

Just a few weeks ago, someone - can't remember who, but I'm pretty sure it was in the medical field - asked me first thing for my SS# when I called them. After a long pause, I told her "You'll have to use something else" to ID me and she did, but a lot of us know how prevalent it has gotten for people to nonchalantly ask you for that.

So to those reading this who are not aware, fiercely guard your SS# no matter who is asking for it. There is nearly ALWAYS another method that can be used to ID you and I would like to see businesses completely stop asking people for it.

9. greenfrog57

greenfrog57 Mod Of The Month July 2011 Staff Member Owner Administrator Super Mod Trader Group Moderator

I am so sorry you have to deal with the headache.

3timesoccermom likes this.
  10. judy27

judy27 Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

WOW Renee!! Man, so sorry about this!!! This is awful. This should be a wake up call to all of us. Protect that SS#.

I wish you the best of luck getting this fixed.

11. Agape Love

Agape Love Member Trader Group

Here locally there's been a news channel reporting on people filing fake taxes using others SSN #. WAAY tv-Huntsville, AL. Perhaps there are some hints on that but I know from what I have seen....contact IRS, the police (as your id has been compromised), and your bank. Might want to change credit cards and etc. and your passwords on any online accounts. HTH. Also, the postal inspector might need to be notified.

12. 3timesoccermom

Thank you for the help. I read that earlier today - about contacting the PO - but it didn't say why and I didn't understand what they could do. Do you know?

Our CPA is dealing with the IRS and I called the bank today to ask about what to do. The woman was completely unconcerned and didn't seem very knowledgeable to me so I'm going to call back tomorrow and speak to the Credit union president - or as close to that as I can get.

13. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Renee, you must be going nuts! I know I would be!!

Back in January, my son got a letter in the mail from the IRS, telling him that someone had filed a tax return with his SSN. He had to call them, answer some questions that (hopefully) only he would know how to answer. Then they told him that he would have to mail in his return instead of e-filing. He checked with the credit agencies, his bank, etc. It turned out that they only used it for the tax return. Nothing else happened.

I sincerely hope that's all that happened with you, but please make sure to check everything you can think of...and everything that the other members are telling you.

14. joshmamabear

joshmamabear Member Of The Month Nov. 2011 Trader Group

btw, for those going to clinics and asked to fill out forms, it is OPTIONAL to write your SSN in there. I don't write our SSN since they are making copies of our insurance cards. No receptionist has forced me (yet). With a growing number of companies (Scottrade is the most recent I've read) admitting their database has been hacked and are now offering free credit monitoring, I'm not sure how that'll help if one's identity has been stolen and sold overseas. All they can tell you is your identity has been compromised and what about all consequences you're about to deal with? I haven't seen any company discuss compensation for that.

15. 3timesoccermom

I am surprised at myself but I'm not going too nuts - yet. I think it's because I'm seriously hoping it's "only" like what you described happened to your son and they "only" used it for the tax return. At the moment I just don't think my mind can comprehend the potential problems so I'm trying not to dwell on that much.

When Hubs told me about it on the phone yesterday, a sick, white hot sensation washed over me and I do feel angry about the way businesses blithely ask for your SS# but I kind of feel sorry for the next person who asks me for it because not only will they be told no but I will also get in touch with management and they will get an earful suggesting they stop making employees ask for that info. For all the good it will do . . .

We did have to re-send the return by mail yesterday (had e-filed earlier in the week) and yesterday I read about the IRS getting in touch, just wonder how long it'll be.

What other steps did your son take for protection? I did a credit freeze yesterday on one of the credit agencies and will try to do the others today but the report I was able to get and view didn't show anything strange. I did wonder why, in August, I didn't receive the annual social security statement in the mail - this may be why. I read that it's good to register with the SS agency to check your account online but it said they weren't able to register me and to call them, which I tried but hung up after about 10 minutes of endless phone loops.

I appreciate all the tips and help (and empathy!) so thanks to all.

16. Lucky1307

Lucky1307 Super Swapper June '09 Trader Group

Oh dear so sorry. I've never had my SS# used, however my bank account has been hacked twice. This last time it was linked to my cell phone number so I had to change numbers, close and re-open a bank account and get a new debit card. I faithfully check all our accounts each morning to check for any charges that we didn't make and our bank has become super suspicious of the debit cards being compromised(seriously almost to the point of making me just get rid of the debit cards) .

As far as the post office....you would just need to let them know that if a change of address comes in for you it is false.

Hope it gets resolved soon!

17. cwymer

cwymer Member Trader Group

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I dislike a theft. I sincerely hope it is a simple fix and not a lot a damage.

18. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

My son told me that he followed the steps that IRS said to follow, and that was it. He already has credit monitoring, and checks it often. He said that nothing else was compromised. He's a pretty smart guy, and has a degree in accounting, so I trust that he knew what to do.

19. bargainsarefun

bargainsarefun Active Member Trader Group

Hopefully the person who used it did in error by transposing the numbers such as 98 when it should be 89 and it turned out to be your SS#.

20. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Oh, Renee, how aggravating!!!! I just saw this post. You can get the credit monitoring for a year just to see if it is used again and to give you peace of mind. At the bank where I work, we ask for the last 4 digits of the social as an identfier, but never the whole number. Sometimes I ask for their P O box or birthdate. We also have identifying questions we can ask the customer. Your bank can put a fraud alert on your account. It is a message that pops up on the teller screen and you can have them ask you a particular question or confirm your identity. This alert may require the platform person to do a supervisor override for the transaction.
    I know once my return was questioned because the employer I used transposed the last 2 numbers on my 1099 form and it did not agree with my SSN. The accountant redid my 1099 and I received my refund. One odd thing is that my siblings and I, as well as my twins all have numbers that are one apart from each other. My sister has 58, bro has 59 and I have 61...no idea who has 60. Mom must have applied for our ssn's at the same time. In the future, the twins better learn to get along since they have the same ssn number except for the last digit...d1 is 6 and d2 is 7.

I will say a little prayer that this is the only problem you have with the ssn. It would annoy me to no end too.