See if you have unclaimed $$

Discussion in 'Finances' started by 3timesoccermom, Jul 31, 2014.

1. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

Find Unclaimed Money By State - Surviving The Stores

I just checked our state and found we have about $200 coming. Hubs' dad is due $100.

Check all states where you have lived, try your current and past last names - even possible misspellings of your names (Example: Jansen/Janssen), your spouse's name, etc. If you were someone's heir, be sure to check for their names as well.

Be prepared for a difficult time proving the money is yours. It's a real shame that people who aren't able to provide the demanded proof forfeit their cash.

Hubs' deceased grandmother has had about $60 in the Texas treasury for years but since he wasn't the direct heir - his mom, also deceased, was - that money sits and will be absorbed by the state eventually. Maybe if he had some record of her SS# he could get it, but he doesn't.

If you find some, stop back in and let me know! Good luck!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    judy27 likes this.
  2. disabledvetswife

disabledvetswife Mod of the Month June 2012 Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

Does he just need the number?? The SS Death Index has SS# listed on it.

3timesoccermom likes this.
  3. 3timesoccermom

Huh!! I never heard of that. Thank you - yes, I think so. :dontknow1: :rolleyes24:

4. joshmamabear

joshmamabear Member Of The Month Nov. 2011 Trader Group

Last year, I did this search and I was pleasantly surprised that I had a refund check from WAG! I debated whether it was worth going through all the requirements they asked thinking it would just be a few dollars. It turned out a $723.xx check! I was required to submit documents by mail with the notarized form (notary service is free at my local bank, I did it at the drive thru and they just asked me to sign it right there. in other words, do NOT pre-sign the form.

It is worth checking every year, you never know you have a lot of rebate checks that you need to claim :wink7:

5. 3timesoccermom

Wow, that's great!! Our local paper used to do a big print-up annually but I haven't seen one in several years and consequently forgot to look. While looking for other family members' names I was stunned to see how much some people have sitting there that is going to be forfeited if they don't act!! (People I don't know, of course, if they are friends/family I let them know.)

[MENTION=52010]disabledvetswife[/MENTION] - I have had no luck finding the SS# of Hubs' grandma. Every site that says it gives the info wants payment. I'm not done looking though.

6. joshmamabear

joshmamabear Member Of The Month Nov. 2011 Trader Group

this year, there are 2 rebate checks with my name, $10 from Kraft and $10 from Pfizer(?). The house number and street are correct but for whatever reasons, the city is unheard of! I can come up with most of the requirements except one which is send proof of mail with exact address which is impossible because there is no such city in my state. I may have to give up on this $20 :whistle67:

7. 3timesoccermom

Bumping for others.

8. clippyclippy

clippyclippy (> ” ” <) <i>Heeeeere</i><br>( =’o'= ) <i>kitty</i Trader Group

I found $37.76 for my dh - (securities and brokerage firms) from an address we had nearly 20 years ago.
    Nothing for me - no surprise.
    >$100 for my MIL who was the legal guardian for her aunt. Something from the nursing home she was at until she died a year ago.
    >$100 for my dh's grandmother who died 15 years ago. Sticky situation since his aunt is executor of her estate - there was a huge family dispute over dh's family business - after my FIL died 20 years ago, his sisters felt entitled to a share what he built for some reason, (just because they were family?) and when it came to the grandmothers estate several years later, everyone felt like they conducted some shady business in the settling.
    So, what to do with that info... wish I knew how much >$100 really is :confused71:

9. 3timesoccermom

Will you be able to get that for your hubby or is it too complicated to mess with in your state?

I'm sure there are LOTS of situations like you describe, that keep millions of people's $$ sitting there, just out of their reach.

10. clippyclippy

clippyclippy (> ” ” <) <i>Heeeeere</i><br>( =’o'= ) <i>kitty</i Trader Group

Yes, I can get hubby's money as far as I can tell - I don't know what else they require besides dl ad ss # which I gave.
    It the grandmother $ that we probably will leave to sit there.

I too hate to see all those names - probably a lot of people that could really use it.

By the way thanks for the link!