Reusing Classico Sauce Jars? (Classico says "don't do it"!)

mommas2moody

Trader Group
Anyone done this?

After throwing several jars out, I discovered that the side of the jar says Mason..... got me thinking :idea:

Well a regular lid and ring fits it so lets see what happens.
Last night I was canning more salsa and decided to give one jar a test run.
First off it was too tall for enough water to cover the lid without it making a huge boiled over mess. I decided to leave it in there anyway.
I was shocked to find it sealed! :BigHand:
But I should have left an inch head room instead of 1/2. Also it had a bunch of tiny tiny air bubbles in it where as my Ball jars didn't.

F

froggie3

Re: Canning with Classico sauce jars

i have never canned with anything but ball jars, granted i just canned my first thing this summer and it was strawberry jam, i am no help.

T

thickbluebug

My grandmother reused all kinds of glass jars.

Anything that a canning lid would fit on.

I still have had some of her old canned stuff and it's way to old to use - but they worked as a canning jar and are still air tight sealed.

M

Mama Stu

Back in the day, we used to use mayo jars to can in, they were glass and worked perfectly. As long as they seal it isn't any different than using a canning jar

A

anaj06

I have heard you can do it with no problem, though I haven't tried it yet. Do you mind posting how you are making your salsa?

shelleyf

Member of the Month March 2009
Trader Group

You already bought the jar and it works so it is a great idea:) Please share your salsa recipe if you have time. I love salsa, never canned but have been wanting to try it if it isn't expensive to do so.

A

anaj06

I bought 6 Classico sauces this week on sale with coupon for $1.00 each. I need to eat the sauce first and then I am going to try it.

I only have wide mouth lids though. Do I need to buy regular mouth to make it work?

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie

I just bought 15 of the Classico sauces - with the $1 coupon. Too bad you're not a little closer OP or I'd give you my jars too. :biggrin:

S

Sunbear

If it says mason on it then I will use it for canning. The Classico jars work great, but the do need the regular sized lids. Wide mouth will not work. The Classic Alfredo jars are smaller and I cannot find lids to fit them.

I have reused candle jars from Kroger. They say mason as well. They are a little harder to clean out, but I find boling water works great. They are a perfect size for jelly.

J

Jasmin71

Canning jars -

Do not use just any jars. Though canning lids may fit some commercial brand mayonnaise or similar type jars, the glass is not tempered as it is in Mason jars and the surface of the jar rim is narrower. These jars may crack in the canning process and the lids might not seal tightly.
This came right from the Canning Site, I personally dont use anything besides Canning Jars, even if you pay $ 8,99 per 12 pack ..that less then .75 per Jar. And you can use them for MANY Years. Why take the chance of it exploding / cracking?

Right now Menards got their Sale on again...... $ 2.00 rebate per pack. I have stocked up for a while now and have enough Jars for Years.

I do understand people want to save money but if you spend the Time and Effort to make canning why take a chance?

JMO, no reason to put me on a box and stone me to internet Heaven ! :)

mommas2moody

Trader Group

Canning jars -

Do not use just any jars. Though canning lids may fit some commercial brand mayonnaise or similar type jars, the glass is not tempered as it is in Mason jars and the surface of the jar rim is narrower. These jars may crack in the canning process and the lids might not seal tightly.
This came right from the Canning Site, I personally dont use anything besides Canning Jars, even if you pay $ 8,99 per 12 pack ..that less then .75 per Jar. And you can use them for MANY Years. Why take the chance of it exploding / cracking?

Right now Menards got their Sale on again...... $ 2.00 rebate per pack. I have stocked up for a while now and have enough Jars for Years.

I do understand people want to save money but if you spend the Time and Effort to make canning why take a chance?

JMO, no reason to put me on a box and stone me to internet Heaven ! :)

Classico jars say Mason on them. The glass is thick and the lids fit perfectly. I have tested it and they work fine. I will continue to use them.

Now for mayo jars, these days it's obvious that the glass is too thin for canning unlike the old mayo jars.

I will only can with the jar (other thank buying Ball) if it says Mason on the side of it.

mommas2moody

Trader Group

I have heard you can do it with no problem, though I haven't tried it yet. Do you mind posting how you are making your salsa?

You already bought the jar and it works so it is a great idea:) Please share your salsa recipe if you have time. I love salsa, never canned but have been wanting to try it if it isn't expensive to do so.

Sorry for the delay.
HERE is the recipe that I use. :smile:
I cut this recipe in half every time. Do it by math, not by the servings calculator.
This recipe was actually given to me from someone on HCW. :biggrin:
The first time I made salsa, it literally took me days! But after making several batches I have come up with a few short cuts that work great for us.

The things that I do different:
1) Tomatoes are peeled, cut up a bit to double check for bad spots, and then I puree them in a blender...... seeds, water, all of it.
2) All other veggies are also pureed as we don't really like chunky salsa.
3) I skip the cornstarch as it seems to just make the salsa look cloudy. :dontknow1:

If you use this, let me know how it works out for you. :smile:

J

Jasmin71

Classico jars say Mason on them. The glass is thick and the lids fit perfectly. I have tested it and they work fine. I will continue to use them.

Now for mayo jars, these days it's obvious that the glass is too thin for canning unlike the old mayo jars.

I will only can with the jar (other thank buying Ball) if it says Mason on the side of it.

I was refering to Mayo Jars :whistle67:If they say mason Jars they are Canning Jars ..... :smile:

M

MrsPinecone

Classico's own website says that these are not to be reused for home canning.

They are thinner glass than standard mason jars and you run a serious risk of breakage. Why would you waste all of the effort put into prep and the expense of the ingredients?

I use my Classico jars for dry storage. 1lb bags of beans or rice fit nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

to1drland

Sorry for the delay.
HERE is the recipe that I use. :smile:
I cut this recipe in half every time. Do it by math, not by the servings calculator.
This recipe was actually given to me from someone on HCW. :biggrin:
The first time I made salsa, it literally took me days! But after making several batches I have come up with a few short cuts that work great for us.

The things that I do different:
1) Tomatoes are peeled, cut up a bit to double check for bad spots, and then I puree them in a blender...... seeds, water, all of it.
2) All other veggies are also pureed as we don't really like chunky salsa.
3) I skip the cornstarch as it seems to just make the salsa look cloudy. :dontknow1:

If you use this, let me know how it works out for you. :smile:

of all the salsa recipes I've tried....this is by far the best! Been making it for several years now, & it always turns out great!

if you don't like using the traditional corn starch because it makes it cloudy I recommend using ClearJel instead.