recipes using yogurt

S

ssfkat3

See notes and fruit combo's below.

Frozen Smoothie Cups (for lack of a better name here)

Full batch makes 10-12 bathroom size dixie cups full. Fill the cups almost all the way so you can get a tight wrap on them once frozen.

I've also been eyeballing, not really measuring any of the ingredients, so, in light of that, here ar my "blender measurements" :whistle67:

2/3's of blender with frozen fruit, partially thawed and NOT packed in there
2 containers yogurt, any kind
1/4 cup sugar (to taste depending on fruit)
Milk, about half the blender full (after adding everything else)

Blend on high speed (I start with ice crush and work down) until it's completely smooth. You will have to stir it up some and add milk if it's too thick to mix well, but not too much, should be pretty thick when done. I usually run the blender about 2-3 minutes a batch total.

Pour into dixie cups and freeze. (Or drink as is for a smoothie) You can stick popsicle sticks in there, but I did not have any, I did try a straw, didn't work though, darn popsicle kept falling over:hysterical: and not so easy eating those upside down.

Once frozen, you can run the cup under hot water for a couple seconds just to loosen the cup and eat like a popsicle if you had sticks, or let sit on counter about 10-15 minutes and eat with a spoon....as a frozen dessert. (You could freeze this in a big dish and cut it into squares too, hmm, add chunks of fruit before freezing and that would be a awesome dessert)

Some Tried and True! Combo's

Strawberries and bananas with Mixed Berry yogurts
Strawberries, blueberries and Vanilla yogurt
Strawberries, applesauce and Strawberry Banana Yogurt
Strawberries, canned fruit cocktail and Mixed Berry yogurt
Strawberries, blueberries, bananas and Key Lime Pie yogurt (this was interesting, a bit of a twang to it)

NOTES:

I"ve already warned my daughter, she is going to be spending time in the strawberry fields once the season hits (early june here). She wasn't happy when I showed her what size containers I want her to have her fill, (5 gallon) especially when I told her how many of them lol (hoping for three full ones but I'll be glad to see one)

As you can see, I use a lot of strawberries :rolleyes24: I buy those at BJ's, the huge bag of whole berries costs 8.99 and I get quite a few smoothie recipes out of one bag. I divide them up when I get home, usually getting a bunch of little bags out of the big bag. Not sure of the measurement, I just put them in the sandwich ziploc bag until there is a flat layer filling the bag. (scientific measurements here)

Blueberries have a strong flavor, 1/4 cup is a pretty good amount in combination with other fruits. Unless you really love blueberries!

Banana's work out great as well. Use ripe banana's (cheap when you buy them already ripe), peel, cut in half and toss in some lemon juice to keep from browning, and freeze those. Half a banana to a full blender is good.

Thaw your fruits about half way, I zap the strawberries in the smaller bag with half a banana on full power for one minute (850 watts) and they come out just right.

No yogurt? Use juice in place of the milk and have a icy smoothie vs a creamy smoothie. Freezes just as good.

Freeze the cups standing up straight (don't ask how I know not to let them tip over) on a cookie sheet if possible. Once frozen, you can wrap in saran wrap (double layer) and toss those all in big ziploc bags, they should hold up well for several months. If you add popsicle sticks to them prior to freezing, you'll definately want to wrap in saran wrap first.

Canned or jarred fruits work well also, get them in juice, not in syrup, not sure why the syrup ones didn't work as well, but there was a noticable difference in the ones I've tried as smoothies (not frozen).

Pineapple is refreshing, can of pineapple half frozen, strawberries and banana with cherry juicy juice was a huge hit with my daughter (no yogurt in that one)

Grape juice is good, but it's pretty strong flavored, I water down grape juice.

I want to try making some with orange juice next, just need to get some OJ first. I'm thinking, OJ and vanilla yogurt with milk for kind of a creamsicle flavor. Lemon Yogurt with some lemonaide sounds like it might be good, if anyone tries that, let me know how it comes out!

Any other combo's you try, post them here! I've yet to make one that was not liked....yet.

wow this was long...sorry :wavehi:

C

chitownmelli

Re: All that yogurt!!! What to do? Try these!

That's wonderful! Thanks very much for sharing!

C

Cynthiabutterfly

We make smoothies with yogurt and drink them, sometimes I'll put the little cups in the freezer, and either eat them as popsicles, or throw them in the smoothie frozen.

I hate the wood taste from sticks, so we use plastic spoons or forks for a popsicle handle.

This is a great idea though, especially when I make smoothies and the kids don't want to finish them, they usually go to waste because they don't keep. Now I'll just stick them in the freezer to be eaten as popsicles!

S

ssfkat3

lol, spoons, why didn't I think of that? I've got plastic silverware coming out my ears...from about six years ago no less. friend's son's high school graduation, they went to sam's club to buy the silverware....HUGE box of knives, forks, spoons....YAY. Now I can do popsicles, since like you, I also don't like the wood taste/texture....thanks

C

Cynthiabutterfly

AND you can stick them in the dishwasher and reuse them- if the kids don't lose or break them. I wouldn't do that with the wooden sticks because they tend to absorb things.

S

ssfkat3

lol, i've always washed plastic silverware, guess that's why I still have that huge container of them. I used to take them to work, (and it's been since june 2004 since I've worked) and the others all said I was nuts for taking them home to reuse lol.

S

sciteacher

Awesome idea!
Sciteacher

KmmCo

Trader Group
My favorite Smoothie; 2 bananas, vanilla yogurt (about 1.5 cups maybe - I just kinda eyeball it), and fill the blender the rest of the way with orange juice.

This comes out almost like the orange julius drinks from the mall and serves 2. Also you can do 1 banana and cut up strawberries or blackberries.