Recipes needed to cilanto, basil and/or italian parsley

M

mrsschroeder1

:wavehi:I started growing a garden this year. By no means did I think I could have this much!!!:hysterical:

The only thing I really have been using is the basil in potato salad. I was going to use it again and try my hand at bruschetta.

Please feel free to share your ideas....I NEED THEM! :thanks3:

M

matterninhburg

for the basil:
cut up tomatoes, provolone cheese and basil
mix w/ some evoo
get a french loaf and heat in the oven for a few minutes. Slice and top w/ mix. Yummy!

cody82414

Member of the Month 06/11 Happy Hoo-Ha Hacker
Trader Group
cilantro is SO delicious in homemade salsa and/or guacamole, and avocados will be getting "cheap" soon! Adds a 'zing'! Great for you. Herbs are a great way to start!!

W

wookin

Add fresh basil to tossed salad
saute it with butter and add talipia and lemon pepper

T

TBEventer2002

If you can't find anything to do with all you have (the same issue I am having right now!), you can dry or freeze many herbs. Some do best being frozen, some last longer being dried. You can dry herbs in the microwave!

I personally have thyme, chives, parsley, and rosemary frozen. I have also dried some of my rosemary and thyme. My dill, catnip, chamomile, and sage have been slow starters this year so I am waiting still on them. My oregano is just screaming at me to trim back but I am holding off for the time being. :)

M

mrsschroeder1

for the basil:
cut up tomatoes, provolone cheese and basil
mix w/ some evoo
get a french loaf and heat in the oven for a few minutes. Slice and top w/ mix. Yummy!

I made this last night! My Fiance, who is the pickiest eater ever and hates tomatoes, loved it!

I am going to try and dry the herbs out and see how that works!!!

Thank you ladies!

M

Mama Stu

If you are going to have home grown tomatoes , you could actually use all three of those in homemade spaghetti sauce.

N

nrpeace17

You can remove most of the stems on the parsley and chop or clip it with a scissor and freeze in storage bags for later use.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

matterninhburg

I made this last night! My Fiance, who is the pickiest eater ever and hates tomatoes, loved it!

I am going to try and dry the herbs out and see how that works!!!

Thank you ladies!
Glad you liked it. It always seems to go over well and is SO easy!

L

latte

you can make pesto with the basil.....
basil leaves (about 2 cups)
some olive oil (about 1/4 cup at most)
parmesian cheese (about 1/2 cup)
pinenuts (about 1/4 cup or so.....toast in low oven for about 15 minutes)
sea salt ( i havea grinder? i used about 10 grinds the last time i made pesto)

toast nuts, put in food processor, add basil, cheese, and salt, pulse a few times, slowly add olive oil and pulse a few more times

pico de gailo (kinda like salsa)
tomatoes (about 4 roma tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes)
red onion (about 1/2 a large one ---you could use white, but the red ones make it look so much prettier)
cilantro (about 1/3 cup chopped)
lime (about 1/2 of the juice from 1 lime do not use key limes)
coarsely chop tomatoes, put in bowl and squeeze the lime juice over tomatoes, finely chop red onion and stir in cilantro, mix all ingrediants well let chill in fridge for about 30 minutes to let flavors meld together

guacamole
4 avacados
cilantro (about 1/4 cup)
1 lime
2 roma tomatoes chopped
1 clove garlic (i cheated last time i made it, and used about 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
sea salt (about 6 grinds from a grinder)
green tabasco sauce -just a few dashes
red onion (the other half from making pico de gailo) chopped

peel avacados, mash well (i use a potato masher) squeeze in lime juice and scrape in pulp from 1/2 of the lime, stir well, add tomatoes, onion, cilantro, salt and tabasco sauce.....stir well, then mash a few times with potato masher, let chill in fridge with saran wrap touching the quacamole for about 1/2 hour

enjoy:)

*all measure ments are eyeballed amounts as i dont actually measure anything*

M

mrsschroeder1

I know this may sound dumb, but, what is a pesto? Do you serve it on crackers?

I like your way of measuring. I do the same thing!!!

you can make pesto with the basil.....
basil leaves (about 2 cups)
some olive oil (about 1/4 cup at most)
parmesian cheese (about 1/2 cup)
pinenuts (about 1/4 cup or so.....toast in low oven for about 15 minutes)
sea salt ( i havea grinder? i used about 10 grinds the last time i made pesto)

toast nuts, put in food processor, add basil, cheese, and salt, pulse a few times, slowly add olive oil and pulse a few more times

pico de gailo (kinda like salsa)
tomatoes (about 4 roma tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes)
red onion (about 1/2 a large one ---you could use white, but the red ones make it look so much prettier)
cilantro (about 1/3 cup chopped)
lime (about 1/2 of the juice from 1 lime do not use key limes)
coarsely chop tomatoes, put in bowl and squeeze the lime juice over tomatoes, finely chop red onion and stir in cilantro, mix all ingrediants well let chill in fridge for about 30 minutes to let flavors meld together

guacamole
4 avacados
cilantro (about 1/4 cup)
1 lime
2 roma tomatoes chopped
1 clove garlic (i cheated last time i made it, and used about 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
sea salt (about 6 grinds from a grinder)
green tabasco sauce -just a few dashes
red onion (the other half from making pico de gailo) chopped

peel avacados, mash well (i use a potato masher) squeeze in lime juice and scrape in pulp from 1/2 of the lime, stir well, add tomatoes, onion, cilantro, salt and tabasco sauce.....stir well, then mash a few times with potato masher, let chill in fridge with saran wrap touching the quacamole for about 1/2 hour

enjoy:)

*all measure ments are eyeballed amounts as i dont actually measure anything*

L

latte

I know this may sound dumb, but, what is a pesto? Do you serve it on crackers?

I like your way of measuring. I do the same thing!!!

pesto is technically a sauce
pesto can be served with crackers......i dont but it could .....ive used it as a marinade for chicken for grilling, mixed it with mayo for sandwiches, mix it with noodles, mix with alfredo sauce for a slightly different approach...ive even used it in place of the olive oil in bruscheta, my kids like pesto on steamed veggies, ive added pesto to tomato soup, ive used pesto in place of butter for grilled cheese sandwiches

B

Betsy33

One of my very favorites for cilantro is to put it on homemade BBQ Chicken pizza.

Use basil and parsley for out of this world homemade pesto. If you don't want to store it all in the fridge, you can freeze it in ice cube trays and store it in the freezer to use later. That really works well.

Also, search sites like epicurious dot com and recipezaar dot com...that's what I did when I had a surplus of cilantro and I found it SO helpful.

Have fun!
Betsy

B

Betsy33

pesto is technically a sauce
pesto can be served with crackers......i dont but it could .....ive used it as a marinade for chicken for grilling, mixed it with mayo for sandwiches, mix it with noodles, mix with alfredo sauce for a slightly different approach...ive even used it in place of the olive oil in bruscheta, my kids like pesto on steamed veggies, ive added pesto to tomato soup, ive used pesto in place of butter for grilled cheese sandwiches

It is one of the most amazingly delicious sauces ever!!!

OH! You know what else you can do with those herbs? CHIMICHURRI Sauce!!! It's a sauce from Argentina that is amazing on meat and on basically anything else, too. It's sooooo good.

How I would love to have access to your garden right now. :-D

M

mamamommymom

You could add a big handful of chopped cilantro to a half-cup of lime juice and some crushed garlic (or powder), marinate some chicken for 30 minutes, then throw it on the grill (even George, if you use one).

A handful of cilantro to a tossed salad is a nice change of pace too.

Use a bunch in ceviche ............. a great summer splurge! Oh, and if you make gazpacho, you can use a bunch.

Fresh cilantro must be fantastic! Basil too!

(I'm going to look up chimichurri now.)