Recipes - how do you organize them?

marrelam

Trader Group
Help!! I need to organize my recipes - you know, the ones you cut out of magazines, newspapers, written on note cards. Right now they are in a recipe box but it's overflowing and just not working for me anymore.

TiggerToo

Mod Of The Month Oct. 2011<br>Has A Heart Of Pure
Trader Group
You aren't going to like what I have to say:giggle2:. I actually am such a computer geek...I retype all of my recipes into a recipe software. I absolutely love it. It sorts by category, dish, you can search etc. It saves on paper and you can print out the recipe or bring your laptop into the kitchen with you.

F

froggie3

You REALLY don't want to know my organization of recipes...some are on note cards, some are on the computer, some are bookmarked on the internet, some are in cookbooks, some are printed out on paper and yet others are on receipts. Yes that says receipts...I have been known to quickly grab whatever is by the computer(usually a couponing receipt) and write down a recipe...then the receipt ends up with all the other recipe stuff and I fumble through stuff until I find the one I am looking for.

I think I need a system to organize them, but I just don't know what would work. I was thinking about a 3 ring binder with page protectors(like my coupon binder, sort of) that I could file everything in that would be easy to add to.

TiggerToo

Trader Group
The only thing I could think of, is if you are sticking with the recipe box, is to get one for each category, desserts, meats, etc and separate them based on the prominent ingredient. That may be the most beneficial. Then you could categorize them within the ingredient box based on how you wanted to organize them...for instance if you only wanted a few boxes. So your system (by box) would be something like this:
  • Main Dish
    • Beef
    • Chicken
    • Pork
  • Salad
    • Pasta
    • Potato
    • Veggie
  • Dessert
    • Cookies
    • Ice Cream
    • Cake
...or something like that...but you would have individual boxes for each category. It would take some time to sort through and categorize but (for me, being such a foodie) it could be fun and if you have children, you could get them involved and make it a crafting project, with them desiging the separators.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
What system?? LOL Actually mine sounds very much like foggier's.

Kudos to you for getting organized. Mine are currently: some on refrigerator, many in a plastic "shoe box style box" with a lid, bunches of them on the computer in my recipes file which is nicely organized into sections.

Then I have about 8,000,000 recipes, recipe sites, tip sites, etc., bookmarked on the internet.

Have a bunch in cookbooks too.

Plus I have a small, cheap, clear, acrylic box with a hinged lid that has my grandma's recipes. That's the way she stored them so that's the way I kept them. I used to be an organized person . . . . :dontknow1:

You'd think with all those resources I'd be an amazing cook. Nope. :sad3:

S

Shy2481

I just went out and got a binder and some clear sleeves to put the pages in. I thought about retyping or writing them but i am a sucker for pictures, and want to keep the actual pages from the mags. I just started that the other day.

marrelam

Trader Group
I just went out and got a binder and some clear sleeves to put the pages in. I thought about retyping or writing them but i am a sucker for pictures, and want to keep the actual pages from the mags. I just started that the other day.

I'm with you on the pictures thing. The more I'm reading and surfing the net for ideas, the more I think the 3-ring binder route is the way to go. I've got alot that I've transferred onto 3x5 note cards but still plenty that are ripped out of mags for the pics.

phaedraval - what recipe software do you use? I thought about this style only because of the luxury of being able to sort in various ways and search by ingredient.

TiggerToo

Trader Group
It is called BigOven and I think it is fantastic. It allows you to copy and paste directly from the pc...so if you are...ahem...copying a recipe directly from a website, you can just copy and paste it into their website instead of retyping it in. You can add pictures, so if you have a scanner, you could actually scan the pic in of your mag/artic etc and attach it to your recipe. It allows you to enter in servings/nutritional (if you have it)/cateogry, etc.

marrelam

Trader Group
It is called BigOven and I think it is fantastic. It allows you to copy and paste directly from the pc...so if you are...ahem...copying a recipe directly from a website, you can just copy and paste it into their website instead of retyping it in. You can add pictures, so if you have a scanner, you could actually scan the pic in of your mag/artic etc and attach it to your recipe. It allows you to enter in servings/nutritional (if you have it)/cateogry, etc.

I'm going to check them out now :thanks7:

A

aimeebee

I have a recipe scrapbook that I made for my favorite, most used recipes. I also have a composition book where I cut out recipes from magazines, inserts or from the internet. I just glue the recipe onto the notebook page. These are usually recipes I haven't tried yet. TNT recipes are in a section of the binder that has my scrapbooked recipes. Once I have tried them a couple of times and know they are keepers; I type them up, so they are all in the same format and put them in my binder.

O

OneHotMomma

I have a three ring binder with a combination of full plastic sheets and the ones with three sections I use for recipes I haven't tried yet. If I try something and it makes the cut, it gets written on recipe cards for my box.

Edit: I think I may change all my recipes over to the binder with plastic sheets. It seems as though they would stay cleaner that way. Plus, I have leftover plastic sheets with 3 pockets to a page that would work great with the ones I've torn from magazines and I won't have to rewrite them. My recipe cards would fit in these too. Seems simpler to me.

M

MizMoneyPenny

Before the computer, I got small file boxes, and taped my recipes to 5x7 cards, and filed them according to what it was. I have four boxes.

Since the computer, I got a fancy pants computer program, Living Cookbook, which was for extremely computer literate geek people. Not me. But I could scan in my recipes from my box and enter them there w/o having to retype. Someone pointed out that most were from magazines, so they were on the internet anyway, which has turned out to be true.

So, I copy and paste them to an email to myself, then send it, then move it to a gmail file, "Food" with a subtitle, e.g., beef, poultry, etc.

Since I get email on my phone, if I'm shopping and see a deal, but can't remember the recipe ingredients, I can look it up while I'm in the store, and get what I need. I couldn't do that with fancy computer program.

Lazy, I know, but it works.

A

angeliainwonderland

I use the small cheap photo albums for my most used recipes. Also for my 'want to try' recipes that I tear out of magazines. I use a very nice recipe box with nice category cards for the rest of my recipes. It is a mess.
The good thing about the photo albums is that if you spill on the page you can just wipe it off.

P

peggy47

One of my goals for 2012 to get my recipes in order...haven'd decided how I am going to do this.