REBATING 101 for Newbies

pasharain

(ง︡'-'︠)ง ♥ Quasher of Dead Links ♥
Rebating 101 for Newbies

Obtain Forms. If you are not a Trader on HCW yet, become one! (Learn more about joining the "Trader Group by CLICKING HERE.)

Most of my forms come from other traders. Plus, trading is a great way to make friends. Other sources include: eBay, Sunday coupon inserts, manufacturer’s websites and store displays. Also make use of your new HCW friends, by asking them about other sources they may have discovered. Don’t forget to Google for printables too! By all means, if you do find a coveted "printable" form, please share it in the "Rebates" forum. Your fellow "Hotties" will love you for it!

Purchase the EXACT PRODUCT indicated on the form WITHIN THE PROMOTION PERIOD (i.e. Promotion Dates). Nope my caps are not screams, these two things are just very important. Before heading out to the store, make sure you are going within the time frame the rebate indicates. Often I obtain forms well before their "start date."

Make sure you are clear what brand, product name, size, flavor, etc. you are expected to buy. The forms can get a little out there at times with how specific they are. Of course, once you have bought the item, hang on to that receipt.

Promotion Period Notes: Some forms contain only an "Expiration Date." However, many, like Heineken forms, contain both a "Start Date" and "End Date."

Corona, Modelo & Pacifico "Beer Rebates" are tricky. These forms only list an Expiration date, but according to Inmar (the fulfillment center) they have an “unlisted” start date that is enforced. Therefore, check the "sticky" posts in the “Rebate DIscussion” forum for the start date. You can also obtain the "Start Date" by calling the number on the form. If you do call, share what you have learned with us in the "Rebate Discussion" forum.

A note about shopping and saving receipts as a rebater: An avid rebater saves all of their receipts whenever they shop. Because most "Beer Rebates" do not require UPCs, your receipts may be useful later. After all you did purchase the items.

Consider making it a habit to pay for things like meat, multipacks of water, cheese and veggies separately because many rebates are for those items. Just be kind to cashiers by not doing too many transactions at once. Be friendly to cashiers, as a new avid couponer you will get to know them.

Here is a picture my 12-pocket receipt file (a very nice 6-pocket one can be obtained from the Dollar Tree):

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 5.41.29 PM.png

Fill out the form completely. Double check the form to make sure you have not left anything blank. Blanks equal rejection of your rebate. . . No check for you. :(

Make sure you include the original Rebate Form and any additional items requested. The original receipt is a given, but UPCs are not always necessary. If it is a "Beer Rebate," usually the UPC is not needed. Most other forms DO require the UPC. Sometimes, the form asks you to simply print the UPC number on the form. Just read and then reread the fine print to be certain.

On the rare occasion, I have encountered requests for “stickers” and "box flaps" from the packaging.

Keep good records. Keep a copy of your submission. If you are denied payment this information can be used to refute their error or admit defeat when you realize you made a mistake. :eek:

Write the date you mailed it on your copy. Then, you will know when to expect your check. Personally, I keep a 3-ring binder for this purpose. You will need a hole puncher for this method (get one at Dollar Tree), but it is a wonderful system! New rebate submissions go to the back of the binder. Thus, old ones are always on top, allowing you to quickly see when a check is overdue. When you receive a check, just pull out the copy it applies to and trash it.

Here is a picture of my binder:

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 5.41.49 PM.png
Have additional questions? :rolleyes: Just post them, and I or another friendly rebater will help you. Happy Savings!

If you repost this content, please give HCW and me (Ashley Swanner, writer) credit.

Last edited:

crossstreet

Trader Group
I am seeing several beer rebates that i can submit online. The rebates are submitting payment to PayPal on Venmo only. I have a PayPal account and when I submit that information I get a reply that it they cannot validate my account. Do you know what might be the issue? I know my email is correct and I changed my name so it matches the name on the account but it still comes up not valid. I do not have a PayPal wallet.

mtka

Trader Group
I am seeing several beer rebates that i can submit online. The rebates are submitting payment to PayPal on Venmo only. I have a PayPal account and when I submit that information I get a reply that it they cannot validate my account. Do you know what might be the issue? I know my email is correct and I changed my name so it matches the name on the account but it still comes up not valid. I do not have a PayPal wallet.
Have you checked your paypal account, the name, addy, that it's verified, etc? It's probably on their end. You can also just use a non-linked paypal addy and when the email from paypal comes that someone sent you money, just link to your paypal account.