Recipes - 5 Ingredients Or Less Pulled Pork Barbecue

S

SarahL

My kids (my 3 year old especially!) ADORE this and it is about as easy as it gets. Great use of a couple of stockpile items and when pork shoulder is on sale, I buy a bunch. I can get 3 meals for 4 people out of about a 3 pound pork shoulder easily.

1 pork shoulder (boston butt roast), boneless or bone in, whatever you've found on sale
1 can or a couple of cups of REGULAR soda (not diet) - I've used Pepsi, ginger ale, Dr. Pepper, Coke, and root beer all with great success (use 2 cans if you have a really big roast)
1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce

Plop roast into crockpot. Pour soda over top. Cook on low until it's all shreddy...about 7 hours in my crock. Remove, shred, POUR OFF LIQUID, return to crock, add about 2/3 of the bottle of barbecue sauce (or to taste), and turn back on to low to warm through. Serve on buns with additional barbecue sauce for topping (or dunking if you're my kids!) and cole slaw, corn on the cob, fries, etc...whatever you like.

The leftovers freeze fantastically. Super easy, super kid pleaser, super husband pleaser too!

A

amylynne01

Hmm. I might have to try this one! We use the McCormick seasoning pack which is SO good, but BBQ sauce is free, and we always have soda. Thanks for sharing!

S

SarahL

have you used cherry Dr. Pepper?

I haven't, because I don't buy that one...but if I had it on hand I'd definitely try that. Sounds good!

Hmm. I might have to try this one! We use the McCormick seasoning pack which is SO good, but BBQ sauce is free, and we always have soda. Thanks for sharing!

That's why I love this recipe so much - really all I'm paying for is the meat! I have others that I love too but this one is so much easier than my others.

D

dliver316

When I saw this recipe, I went out and bought the roast today...it is in the crockpot now...I will let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks for the recipe!!

D

dliver316

It was awesome!!! Thank you so much for this recipe. It was super easy...just like you said. I used regular coke and sweet baby rays bbq sauce..a hit with the whole family!

S

saversavory

im gonna dig around in the freezer tot ake out for tomorrow.... i know i have roasts but they might be beef.

edit:

yep only beef rump roasts, should i chance it?

S

SarahL

im gonna dig around in the freezer tot ake out for tomorrow.... i know i have roasts but they might be beef.

edit:

yep only beef rump roasts, should i chance it?

I've never tried this particular recipe with beef roast, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. I know there are cola beef roast slow cooker recipes out there, and I know you can make barbecued beef...I think it should work.

S

saversavory

i used cherry coke on the beef rump roast, and it turned out delicious. :)

S

SarahL

I can get pork roasts for $1/lb but they have a big rind of fat on them. Should this be trimmed off first?

You can if you'd like but you don't have to. I usually leave it on until after it's cooked because it's easier (and less messy) to remove then, but it's personal preference.