Porcupine Meatballs

1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
1/2 c. minute rice or cooked rice OR see below
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
1 can tomato soup plus one can water
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Combine meat, rice, seasonings and onion. Shape into 12 balls. Sear in 2 tbsp. hot oil, browning on all sides. Drain. Pour tomato soup over meat and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes OR bake in 350 F oven for 20-30 minutes.

OPTION: If you use RAW UNCOOKED REGULAR RICE bake for one hour or until rice is tender.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cutenirish

I LOVE THESE- but when I make them they seem to explode once cooked then i've got meat and rice mush :(

F

flash

Hmmm...never had that happen! When you fry them, or when you simmer them? If it's while they simmer, did you fry/brown hard on all sides?

C

cutenirish

when i put in the oven - i didn't know you where supposed to fry on each side that must be my problem :)

F

flash

Yeah, it's not clear, better edit...they need to fry and turn and fry to brown on all sides. That makes them hold their shape (tasty too!).

C

cutenirish

your recipe made sense that's why i asked-- figured iwas missing a step when i made them afew months back

N

new_mom

What do these taste like? Also, do I cook the rice before rolling into balls?

M

mom25grls

note that you can also use tomato juice! I use juice as it is a little more tomato-ier. Been making and eating these since I was a kid...LOVE THEM was thrilled to see them listed here. :) Yummy with some roasting ears in the summer!!!!