Recipes - Tried & True Penne Pasta Casserole with Ground Beef or Turkey

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
[h=1]I have used this recipe from Hunt's for years.

Penne Pasta Casserole[/h]Tender penne pasta baked in a meaty tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese
Hands On:20 | Total: 45 | Makes: 6 servings (1-1/4 cups each)
img_2402_1211.jpg

[h=2]Ingredients:[/h]
  • 12 ounces dry penne pasta, uncooked (12 oz = 3 cups)
  • 1 pound ground sirloin beef or ground turkey
  • 1 large onion, chopped (1 large = about 1 cup)
  • 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano, undrained
  • 1 can (6 oz each) Hunt's® Tomato Paste
  • 1/2 cup water
  • PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
  • 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 cups = 12 oz)

[h=2]Directions[/h]
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions.
  2. Brown meat with onions in large skillet; drain. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, the tomato paste and water; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
  3. Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Drain pasta; place in large bowl. Add tomato mixture and 2 cups of the cheese; toss to coat. Spoon into prepared dish; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese.
  4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until casserole is heated through and cheese is melted.

[h=2]Nutritional Information:[/h]6 servings (1-1/4 cups each) Calories 569; Total Fat 18 g(Saturated Fat 9 g); Cholesterol 78 mg; Sodium 696 mg; Carbohydrate 59 g; (Dietary Fiber 6 g, Sugars 7 g); Protein 41 g; Percent Daily Values*: Vitamin A 16%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 46%; Iron 30%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Penne Pasta Casserole

kremsh

Krem Pit
Trader Group
This sounds really close to a recipe I've made before except the pasta is added to the meat mixture and it cooks in it, then mozzarella is added to the top. One pan wonder!

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
This sounds really close to a recipe I've made before except the pasta is added to the meat mixture and it cooks in it, then mozzarella is added to the top. One pan wonder!
Love one pot wonders! I actually make this recipe with leftover pasta, too!