Moderators: KimShaw
  1. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

2. motherofmolly

motherofmolly Guest

i do nothing more than peach halves and quarters in a light syrup.

blanch the peaches in boiling water. this will allow you to peel the skins off super easy.
    cut in half and remove the pit.
    larger peaches, i cut in quarters so they fit in jars.
    get a pot of light syrup (water and sugar, you can do a medium or heavy syrup your choice)
    once the syrup is ready, i start to blanch and cut my peaches.
    as i get enough peaches cut, i put them in the light syrup.
    about 2 -3 minutes. not long as you dont want to cook the peaches.
    then into the jars with syrup.
    lid and ring once you have all the peaches out of the syrup, then go on to blanch, cut and syrup more.

process in water bath.

i have 17 quarts as we speak. do my pears the same way.

3. cody82414

cody82414 Member of the Month 06/11 Happy Hoo-Ha Hacker Trader Group

This year I froze all of mine to use in my protein smoothies all winter long! I am super excited to have bags and bags of them as well as strawberries from earlier in the year and have moved on to blueberries. LOVE me free out of season fruit in the dead of winter <3

4. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

My kids call my canned peaches "mommy peaches". I do them all raw packed in extra-light syrup. Some I do plain, some I throw a cinnamon stick into the syrup as it cooks, some with a vanilla bean in the syrup. I am going to do about a bushel of peaches, I think. My kids can kill a pint of peaches in a sitting.

5. motherofmolly

motherofmolly Guest

speaking of peaches frozen....dollar tree has frozen peaches, strawberries and blueberries in bags.

my friend gave me two bags of peaches cut. they are in the freezer. someday i will make a smoothie out of them.

6. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

7. couponsmakecents

couponsmakecents Mod Of The Month June 2008 - Achieving Remission. Trader Group

I have been getting slightly bruised peaches from the year round produce stand. I get about 30 pounds for $9.00 or .30 a pound. I have been freezing them for smoothies.

8. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

I canned 33 pints of peaches today. I don't think I am thrilled with them. The variety is Coral Star and the orchard said that they are good for eating and canning. While the flavor is good, the peaches did not peel easily and the ones that DID peel easily were bordering on mushy. We just tried a jar of finished peaches and they are softer than I like. I also didn't seem to get as many slices in a jar as I could before (they were pretty big).

I think that next year, I am sticking to the Red Havens I did 2 years ago. I spent $65 on peaches today and I am not entirely happy. Sigh.

002.JPG

9. couponsmakecents

10. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

I have 8 huge peaches left from my peach impulse buy. I may try it. I still have 3 jars of peach jam left from 2 years ago, plus half a dozen different kinds of jam and jelly. I don't need more jam.

I made 9 pint-and-a-half plus 3 pint jars of peach-vanilla pie filling today.

001.JPG

11. couponsmakecents

How do you make this filling? Sounds wonderful

12. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

The recipe I used is in post 1 in this thread. I left out the cinnamon and almond extract and added the insides of one vanilla bean. In addition, I drained the juice that collected from the sliced peaches and used that as part of the liquid for the "goop". I didn't precook the slices, either. It makes them too mushy. I do heat thoroughly once the slices are added to the goop, though.

13. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

7.5 half-pints honey sweetened peach chutney from Food In Jars. Yummy stuff.

008.JPG

14. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

Dammit. I was at the orchard where I got my peaches and mentioned that I was really dissatisfied with that variety for canning. The guy gave me a half peck of a different variety for free. I thought I was done with peaches. LOL

I have a huge bag of apples and my home grown pears to deal with, too.

15. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

And then a friend mentioned that she found locally grown Red Havens at a grocery store, so 12 lbs of those came home with me, too. I may have a problem.

16. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

17. OneHotMomma

OneHotMomma Guest

:wave88: Anyone have good peach preserving recipes? I bought a 25 pound box planning on making vanilla peach jam but I'm trying to find some other things to do with what's left. I really don't like the texture of frozen of canned peaches but I'm probably going to make a couple slab pies to freeze in individual portions and maybe some frozen smoothie packs. Am I missing something really delicious I need to try?

18. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

Merged your question with the existing peach thread, which has several recipes!

19. OneHotMomma

OneHotMomma Guest

Thank you! I did a search but couldn't find it.

20. MrsPinecone

MrsPinecone Guest

Picked up 4 half-pecks of peaches today. I was too late for Red Havens, so these are Cresthaven. Now to figure out what I want to do with them.

Moderators: KimShaw