Painted Rocks - Anyone else paint and hide rocks with their kids or grandkids?

Discussion in 'Arts & Crafts' started by Jorainna, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Jorainna

Jorainna Active Member Trader Group

What are your preferred methods and themes? We have been using acrylic paints which is fine for my grandsons. We use mod podge and spray sealer to seal them. However, I am not an artist and would like simple off the wall ideas to make a few presentable looking ones ... LOL! There's all kinds of utube, books, etc. out there. I am looking for little known unique, creative ideas ...

[​IMG]

Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

There are several FB groups for this - maybe there are some you can join so you can discuss and enjoy this with others.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  3. Jorainna

Oh yes, there are lots of them on Facebook and we belong to several in our area! :) I was just wondering who here on HCW might also paint them and want to share. That's why I posted this under the Arts & Crafts forum ... was also hoping to generate a little activity as nothing has been posted here in awhile.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  4. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I joined our local group after someone "gifted" us a rock in our front flower bed.

I kind of suspected it might be the cute kids who lived next door at the time, so joined the local group so I could post a picture of the rock and let whoever left it know we'd noticed. However, I haven't gotten into painting them myself.

There are sure a lot of very creative people in our city who paint them, however! ;)

Sherri1480 and Jorainna like this.
  5. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

I have zero artistic talent, so I'm leaving it up to people who do. My DIL has amazing talent, but I don't think she's gotten into painting rocks yet. With her job, doctor appointments, and all three kids in different activities, she'd have to paint while she was driving! LOL!!

However, our littlest granddaughter did find a rock one day, and thought it was really cool. She found it at the pediatricians office. I'm not sure if it was outside in the landscaping, or inside the waiting room. But it made her day!

6. 3timesoccermom

I think it's such a fun and positive thing to do - I have seen lots of people post when their kids found rocks and they were so excited! But I can't even draw a stick figure so I have to leave that to the talented. I will enjoy reading about yall's ideas though.

7. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

We had a fund raiser at our school and painting rocks on the "Rock" our town's nickname. It was done as a National Honor Society project and funds raised were donated to recent hurricane damaged areas. I painted a lady bug on a round rock

8. 3timesoccermom

Here is a pic someone just posted of some that will be put out on Galveston Island, TX.

Attached Files:

Sherri1480, Jorainna and tkraeer like this.
  9. tkraeer

tkraeer Well-Known Member Staff Member Owner Administrator Trader Group

When we were taking my 20 year old daughter to college this year, she found a rock near a restaurant that we stopped to eat at. About a week before, I asked her if she ever heard of painted rocks and if there are groups that do this near her college (this was the first she heard of it and had no idea). Anyway, she and I were both so excited when she found a rock...we couldn't believe it especially since we weren't even looking for it! I would not have guessed that finding a rock could have made us that happy - lol!! The rock wasn't painted wonderfully like some are (it was like a blue monster or something), so it really didn't matter how awesome it looked...just finding a painted rock was nice!! So even if you aren't creative, you can still paint a rock, hide it, and make someone's day :) Some places do not allow painted rocks so be careful where you place them.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  10. Jorainna

@tkraeer ... I know what you mean! It's like finding an Easter Egg! :) Finding one is what got me and the grandsons hooked, and we found out a lot of people here locally, hide them. It's just a feel good idea and you don't have to be that creative. Anyone can paint a rock all one color and put something on it. I can't paint and draw like some of these talented people; and the kids have no reserves at all ... LOL! Walmart has the little bottles of acrylic paint for .50 each and Dollar Tree has the little bottles of ModPodge. Dollar Tree also has bags of black rocks that are in different sizes that are good for painting. It's a neat sharing craft that doesn't take much money that anyone can do. :)

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.