Overnight Oatmeal in a Jar = Quick Breakfast

Discussion in 'Rice & Grains' started by clippyclippy, May 4, 2013.

1. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

Mango Over Night Oatmeal
    Into a pint mason jar add the following:
    ¼ cup quick cooking oats
    1 Tbsp of chia seeds

Drizzle with a bit of honey over the top, add desired amount of fruit (1 mango for 4 pint size jars)
    Fill with milk or milk substitute, leaving ¼ inch of head space.
    Stir gently to combine.
    Place in your fridge overnight.

In the morning, heat it for 2-3 minutes in the microwave

I'm thinking apple cinnamon because that's my dd's favorite combo. I'd have to do something to keep the apples from browning.
    Could also use dried fruit I would think.

Credit to Blissful and Domestic- Thrifty Living and Big Smiles (nice picture tutorial)

2. Smee

Smee Guest

I saw this on Pinterest and have been seriously considering trying it. I just have to get my head around cold oatmeal, and I haven't been able to find chia seeds anywhere locally. I really didn't want to have to order it. I do have flax seeds, both whole and ground. Anyway, I am really intrigued by this because we are very much "fix breakfast the day before" which usually means crockpot oatmeal when it's cold, and an egg and spinach soufflé/quiche/omelet/casserole thing otherwise. I would love to hear feedback from those who have done it. Do you think flax seeds would work just as well?

Lots of recipes that include yogurt for extra protein (hope you don't mind if I add on):
    Overnight, No-Cook Refrigerator Oatmeal

3. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

No, I don't mind if you add on! In fact, the more ideas the better!
    I thought the same about flax seeds vs. the chia. I haven't gotten into chia seeds yet, but it's something I should check into, I do have flax and I'd probably use that instead for now. The Better Oats that I buy right now has flax.

And @Smee - the oats aren't served cold - it says to heat it for a couple of minutes. It might be ok to eat cold, but I don't think I'd like it.

Oh wait - I see your link does suggest eating cold. Hmmm.

4. Smee

Smee Guest

I didn't see that about warming up. The recipes I am familiar with are served cold, I think.

My husband is game, and I have everything I need to try this (on the second site) if I just use the flax seeds I already have. I may try this this week. If you do, report back, please. I will.

5. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

Will do!
    Oh, and the chia seeds might be less noticeable. Apparently they gel up when soaked. Dh doesn't like the flax seeds in the Better Oats, and not only that, they are whole I think.
    The site you linked to mentioned that the flax has to be ground up to get the benefit. Grrr. We're eating little hard seeds for nothing.

6. Smee

Smee Guest

Yeah, I grind them. I don't mind them whole as far as texture and crunch. It's just that they (delicate wording here) don't really seem to break down much during digestion. Besides, it's been much cheaper for me to buy whole flax seeds and grind them ourselves vs. buying flax seed meal.

7. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Trader Group

Hmm, I have a whole bag of chia seeds that I bought when I went on a diet, but I never used any of them. This might be a good way to use some!

8. chitownmelli

chitownmelli Guest

Please do report back once you have tried this, ladies. I have seen versions of this on pinterest as well and have been interested. I am much more of a night owl and much less likely to fix anything at all for breakfast for myself... and I should. And love oatmeal. Somehow, even when I pre measure out my oatmeal mix, the simple act of putting it in a bowl, adding liquid, microwaving, and stirring just seems like way too much of a fuss for little old me at 5:30 AM, and 6:30 AM and 7:30 AM and so on.... :D remove from fridge, unlid, microwave sounds MUCH better, especially since I am just full of energy at night.

9. chitownmelli

chitownmelli Guest

oh clippy, also, on the browning apple issue - I don't think it would be an issue when they are submerged in the oatmeal mixture. I believe that the browning of the apple occurs when they are in contact with oxygen, which would not be possible in your oatmeal mixture. Just thought I would throw that out as a suggestion, maybe save you a little time by not having to add the apples in the morning.

10. Smee

Smee Guest

Well, we put together a couple of jars of these for in the morning:
    Banana Cocoa Refrigerator Oatmeal

I'll report back. My husband has already swiped his finger through it and declared it "pretty good." We used the ground flax seeds instead of chia seeds.

11. Smee

Smee Guest

It was a success! I am sure this is going to be a regular thing for us. Husband loved it right away. Jumped right in and thought it was the bomb-diggity and snarfed it right on down. I had to kind of ease into it because, well, texture, but once I got through the first couple or so bites, I really enjoyed it. Four thumbs up here. Anyone else tried it?

12. chitownmelli

chitownmelli Guest

awesome! I look forward to trying it this week some time. I have two little ones who will gladly share oatmeal with me :) The other two... that's what cherrios were invented for :D

13. kwhile0599

kwhile0599 Guest

I haven't tried it - but now that I hear you give it all the thumbs [MENTION=115298]Smee[/MENTION] - as soon as I have fruit in this house it's on!

Thanks for the OP clippy!

14. Smee

Smee Guest

We've only tried the cocoa/banana/yogurt/honey/oatmeal one, but I am looking forward to trying some of the other versions.

15. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

Oh good [MENTION=115298]Smee[/MENTION]! You ate it cold, right?
    I got chia seeds today! So I'll be making a couple of cups tonight to try out on dh and ds. They usually eat in the car on the way to school/work, so I'm not sure how it will work for the driver...
    I have a brunch in the morning, so I won't be eating it yet, but I'll report back what the guys say.
    [MENTION=166520]kwhile0599[/MENTION] - what? No fruit in the house? What will the fruit flies eat???

16. Smee

Smee Guest

Yes, we ate it cold. It was a little mental exercise for me, but it was pretty good. I just used the ground flax seeds I already had.

17. kwhile0599

kwhile0599 Guest

No fruit flies here clippy - they all died of scurvy :wink7: