other uses for Spaghetti Sauce

CLN123

Any ideas for using up spaghetti sauce other than eating spaghetti? I love it, but trying to come up with other uses for Ragu, lol.

J

jen276here

My favorite: Generic Stuffed Peppers w/o the peppers lol - This is a quick, easy make meal:

In my house this feeds me and DH

1 bag of Steamfresh Rice
1 cup of browned ground beef (I cook up batches of ground beef and freeze portions in plastic baggies that I can quickly microwave and add to meals)
1 cup of Spaghetti Sauce (more or less to your liking)
Onions, Peppers, Salt, Pepper to your liking (like I said, I don't like the texture of Peppers (or onions) cooked so I use onion powder, skip the peppers and just a pinch of salt and pepper.

Cook the rice per instructions (microwave for 4 1/2 minutes I think)
Heat the sauce in microwave for about 1 minute (maybe more/less depending on your microwave and the amount of sauce. It helps to stir sauce about 1/2 way through too)
Heat up ground beef -or- cook and drain and add veggies/seasonings

Voila -Dinner is served in less than 10 minutes!

CW&M Mom

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶Dugalina٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ ᙢᘎG!
Trader Group
make lasagna

Use it with bread sticks (as a marinara)

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Duh! Pizza! How could I forget that? Have you tried it over chicken breasts? I season, then cover with saran wrap and pound til they're even, then lightly brown in olive oil. Put a little of the sauce in the bottom of a baking pan, put more over each piece of chicken, bake about 15 minutes. Top with a hunk of mozzarella, provolone or Muenster cheese, some Parmesan and some basil. Yum.

Also Beef parmesan or an Italian meatloaf. I used to make one where you took the meat and pressed it out on a baking sheet or wax paper into a rectangle. Then you combined shredded mozzarella, parmesan, garlic salt and basil in a small bowl and put it on the rectangle at one end, leaving an inch or so on all edges. Then roll up like a jellyroll and place in pan to bake. Can't get more specific since I have lost the recipe.

This topic interested me too so I did some looking around:

Super Simple Sloppy Joes:

Brown up equal parts hamburger and bulk sausage, add some chopped onions, and bell peppers. Stir in your favorite pasta sauce and heat. Spoon onto rolls/buns.

Sweet and Sour Dogs:

Bring 4 cups thin sliced onions, 1 cup pasta sauce, ½ cup water, and 2 tbsp brown sugar to a boil; cover and simmer 40 min. Serve over hot dogs or add hot dogs and simmer for another 4-5 min.

Short Cut Cream of Tomato Soup:

Sauté fresh herbs of choice in butter; add 1 jar pasta sauce, 2 cups water, ½ cup heavy cream and a pinch of nutmeg. Simmer for 5 min.

Minestrone Soup - Boil 1 jar pasta sauce and 5 cups water. Stir in cooked small pasta, chopped mixed vegetables, canned beans and grated Parmesan cheese; cook until vegetables are tender.

More ideas from same site as recipe above:

Pillaging With Buffie: Uses For Spaghetti Sauce

foodie

Re: Other uses for Spaghetti Sauce?

Hi,

Use spaghetti sauce for the following (I make my own sometimes with our garden produce)--

Add spaghetti sauce to meatloaf mix instead of ketchup, use for stuffed green bell (or any bell pepper) peppers, or homemade meatballs for pasta dishes, lasagna, stuffed pasta shells, or other Italian food dishes.

Also try using the spaghetti/marinara sauces for fish/seafood dishes--think Italian seafood recipes.

One more thing is to try using a little sauce for beef, pork, fish, or poultry casserole dishes as a marinade. I like to make Greek or Lebanese food and use marinara sauce for my recipes. Try Indian recipes for sauces too.

I will post some recipes later.

Foodie:biggrin:

TiggerToo

Mod Of The Month Oct. 2011<br>Has A Heart Of Pure
Trader Group
I belong to a recipe forum...and these are some recipes foodies from around the world are using jarred spaghetti sauce for:

Macaroni Spinach Casserole

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz. Mueller's ready-cut macaroni, cooked 6 minutes & drained
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
2 c. milk
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. shredded Mozzarella cheese
4 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 jar (15 1/2 oz.) meatless spaghetti sauce, heated

In skillet, stirring frequently, lightly brown beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat. In bowl mix beef mixture, macaroni, spinach, milk, eggs, Mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese until blended. Pour into greased 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover dish with foil. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until set in center. Remove. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut in squares. Serve with spaghetti sauce.

Cabbage Rolls

1 lb lean ground beef, raw
1-¼ cups Uncle Ben™s converted long grain rice, uncooked and rinsed
1 can Bravo spaghetti sauce, oregano and basil flavoured (approx. 643 mL can)
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Italian seasoning
¾ tsp paprika
pinch salt
dash pepper

Combine raw lean ground beef, uncooked and rinsed rice, ¼ of the can of Bravo sauce (about ½ cup), and the rest of the ingredients.

Fill cabbage leaves as usual (dont fill them too much). Pour a little sauce to coat bottom of shallow baking dish and place cabbage rolls on top of sauce in a single layer; pour remaining sauce over rolls and cover with foil or lid.

Place baking dish in cold oven, set oven temperature to 325 F degrees, and bake for 1 hour. Reduce oven temperature to 275 F and bake for another 1-½ to 2 hours (basting with sauce occasionally).

** Because my family really loves garlic, I use 4 to 5 garlic cloves.

** You can use a thick spaghetti sauce for the filling and use tomato juice to cover the cabbage rolls, if desired. Add sliced onions over top of rolls too! Adding thick sauce to the filling keeps it moist and adds great flavour.

** To prepared cabbage leaves: cut out part of cabbage core and remove first outer leaves. Place cabbage core-side up in pot of boiling water; cover for a few minutes to allow steam to separate leaves. Carefully turn cabbage over to allow some hot water to get into the cut-out core area if leaves do not remove easily. Boil the leaves just until they are "pliable" (you can fold them without breakage). Continue until all leaves are removed. Before filling the leaves, take a paring knife and carefully remove some of the thick “stemâ€Â part of the leaf so that it can roll easier without breaking the leaf. Just cut off enough to just thin out the “stemâ€Â part. Place a little of the filling at the “stemâ€Â end of leaf; roll once, fold in sides and continue rolling.

** Remember that theres a difference in texture when using summer cabbage or winter cabbage. Summer cabbage softens more. Cooking the cabbage rolls slowly and long period of time and using winter cabbage, it allows the filling to be cooked while still leaving a little crunch to the cabbage. If you don't like that little "crunch", boil your leaves a little longer before filling them.

** You can freeze uncooked cabbage rolls. To cook frozen rolls, place them in a PREHEATED oven and cook them for about 30 minutes more than indicated above. OR you can cook them all at once and freeze them cooked and separated into serving size and then just put them in microwave to reheat.

Zesty Penne, Sausage and Peppers

3 c penne pasta, uncooked
1# Italian sausage
1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 jar (26oz) spaghetti sauce
1 t fennel seed
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
4 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1/4 c shredded parmesan cheese

Cook pasta as directed on package. Crumble sausage into a large skille and cook on medium heat about 8 minutes or until done. Drain. Add peppers and cook and additional 5 minutes or until crisp tender. Stir in next 3 ingredients and cook abt 5 minutes or until heated through. Add cream cheese, cook another 2 minutes or until melted. Drain the pasta and add to sausage mixture. Mix lightly and top with parmesan cheese. Serve with garlic bread and salad and dinner is ready in minutes!

Chicken Parmigiana
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 individual chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
1 cup flour with a pinch of salt and pepper added
2 eggs
2 tablespoons water
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 oz. Mozzarella cheese, sliced
1 1/2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce

Procedure:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Pound the chicken breasts with a meat mallet until they are approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
Whisk the eggs and water together in one bowl and stir the Parmesan cheese into the breadcrumbs in another bowl. Keeping one had for dry ingredients and the other for wet ingredients; dredge the breasts in the flour coating sides, then the egg/water mixture, and then the parmesan/breadcrumb mixture. Sauté the breasts in the olive oil for one minute on each side in an ovenproof sauté pan until the breasts are golden brown. Don’t over crowd the pan or your chicken breasts will steam and not sauté properly. (If you don’t have an oven proof sauté (frying) pan, sauté in your pan and transfer to a casserole dish. Remove from heat, cover the breasts with basic tomato sauce and top with slices of mozzarella. Cook in oven until the chicken is done approximately 10 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Remove from oven and serve.

ITALIAN BEEF PATTIES

1 1/2 # ground beef
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 c. flour
2 eggs, well beaten
1 c. dry bread crumbs
3 tbsp. olive oil
6 slices mozzarella cheese
1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
4 c. spaghetti sauce, divided
3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese

In a bowl, combine the beef, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and onion soup mix; mix well. Shape into six patties. Set aside. Place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Dredge the beef patties in flour; dip in eggs; then coat with bread crumbs.

In a large skillet, cook patties in olive oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes, turning the patties once. Spray a 13 X 9 baking dish; arrange patties in a single layer. Top each patty with mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, 2 c. spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until cooked. Serve over spaghetti with remaining sauce.