Operation Use It!: canned veggies

C

coupondink

Ok, I have a plethora of canned veggies.

Help me out!

canned corn
string beans
cream corn
beets
peas
carrots
spinach

I can't take plain canned veggies anymore. I need some recipes ideas!

I tossed some canned corn with a fresh jalapeno sliced up and that was great. I got a great recipe from my aunt for a creamed corn, canned corn casserole, corn bread casserole. I made the spinach into a dip once, sauted it in garlic and onion once, and I try to incorporate it into recipes like lasagna. But my plethora needs a big dent, and my DH is started to roll his eyes when the boring canned veggies appear on the table. Please recipes with standard pantry ingredients that I would probably have already, or that would not be too expensive.

Thanks!

S

shashabell

*Shephards pie
*Vegetable soup
*I love sliced beets in my salad
*Glazed carrots
*Mix peas, sunflower kernels or peanuts, sliced purple onions, Ranch dressing

When you say you have string beans, are you talking about green beans?

D

Domestic Gal

I have never tried these but I do not see why you could not use canned carrots and spinach. I would just drain and rinse them to get the salt off of them.

Hidden Veggie Brownies
Ingredients:
Nonstick cooking spray
3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup carrot puree (After peeling and trimming the ends, steam for 10-12 minutes and then puree in a food processor for 2 minutes)
1/2 cup spinach puree (Steam for 30 to seconds, then puree in a food processor for 2 minutes)
1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup oat flour, or all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking Instructions:
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame.
3. In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars. Additional Comments:
These brownies are low in calories (only 133 per brownie) and saturated fat. They're also packed with 3 grams of fiber (which is just crazy for a brownie!), while spinach and carrots provide two powerful antioxidants that help your kids' eyes stay healthy.

My Momma's Easy Homemade Veggie Soup

"This is my mom's vegetable soup recipe. It's really good, and it's very easy! It combines ground beef with lots of potatoes and mixed vegetables in a tomato base. Enjoy! Enjoy!"

PREP TIME 15 Min COOK TIME 2 Hrs 35 Min

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

• 3 pounds ground beef
  • 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • water to cover
  • 4 (15 ounce) cans mixed vegetables, drained
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups chopped cabbage
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
  • salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Place the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute for 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned and crumbly; set aside.
  2. In a large pot over high heat, combine the potatoes with water to cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are almost tender.
  3. Add the mixed vegetables, onion, cabbage, tomato sauce, reserved ground beef and ground black pepper.
  4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Season with salt to taste.
  5. You could a couple of each of your canned veggies in place of the mixed veggies.
Here is another recipe

Bub Bub's Hearty Mush

SUBMITTED BY: BUBBUB
"If you like different and spicy food, this is for you. It is quick and very filling. Actually, the cayenne gives it a kick and neat flavor. You can make it as spicy as you like...or not at all. Enjoy!"

COOK TIME 40 Min READY IN 55 Min

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

• 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
  • 1 quart water
  • 1 (16 ounce) package kielbasa sausage, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 (29 ounce) cans mixed vegetables, drained
  • 3 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes.
  2. Cut the kielbasa slices in half, and place in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes, until heated through, and season with cayenne pepper, garlic salt, seasoned salt, salt, and pepper. Mix in the vegetables and butter. Cover, and continue cooking about 10 minutes. Serve over the cooked rice.

You can put a can of veggie in any casserole that you make to use them up.

The beets try dumping them in a jar of dill pickle juice and let them set for a few days. You have pickled beets.

K

kktl32

taco soup
canned corn
string beans
peas
carrots

roast
canned corn
string beans
beets
peas
carrots

manicotti
string beans-on the side
spinach

quiche

salsa

D

Domestic Gal

Here are some more.
Campfire Stew

SUBMITTED BY: Eva Knight
"Eva Knight's speedy single-pan meal revives comforting memories from her childhood. 'The recipe goes back many years to my days at Girl Scout camp,' comments the Nashua, New Hampshire cook. 'It's so fun and flavorful it became an instant hit with my family.'"

PREP TIME 5 Min COOK TIME 15 Min READY IN 20 Min

INGREDIENTS

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 (15 ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed vegetable beef soup, undiluted
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown beef; drain. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
Chicken Pot Pie

• 2 (9 inch) deep dish frozen pie crusts, thawed
  • 1 (15 ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained
  • 2 cups cooked, diced chicken breast
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup milk
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a bowl combine the mixed vegetables, chicken, cream of chicken soup and milk. Pour mixture into one of the pie crusts. Turn the other crust over and pop out of the tin onto the top of the filled pie. Seal the edges and poke holes in top crust.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
You can make a really good vegetable soup with the peas, corn, beans and carrots. Just put them in the crockpot, along with a chopped onion, a can of diced tomatoes, a couple of cups of beef broth, and (to make it super yummy!!) about a half of a jar of spaghetti sauce. Salt and pepper if you need to, but I don't, and my family loves it!! It's a soup that I (allergic to meat) can eat too!!

C

Caligirl

Top Ramen dressed up!

Heat the water with any of the following: green beans, corn, peas and carrots. Add seasoning packet. Stir and cook the noodles as directed. You can throw in leftover chicken, pork, tofu or beef.

Corn could be used for taco salad.

Do a stir fry with green beans, corn, peas or carrots. Fried rice would take peas and carrots.

Pasta salad

Cook about 12 ounces of pasta (small shells, elbows, corkscrews or smaller tube shaped work great). Drain the pasta. Put pasta in large bowl. Add carrots, peas, green beans and corn. Pour perhaps 1/2 cup of Italian Dressing. Refrigerate and then add 3/4 cup or so of cubed cheese (cheddar or mozzarella). Stir.

I make a fantastic Potato broccoli soup with instant potatoes and CORN.

I have seen corn added to corn bread, too.

Try Supercook.com. It allows you to enter your ingredients on hand, and it gives tons of suggestions. You can also restrict ingredients--say no meat, no dairy, not gluten, or no lima beans. It will give you recipe links with things you can make with stuff on hand first.

Sprinkle corn, green beans, peas or carrots on a green salad.

use a flour tortilla as a wrap. Add some meat, veggies and a sauce.

Minestrone Soup uses vegetables--different versions use different veggies.

Black beans, brown rice, seasonings and corn is amazing.

H

hbaqueen

canned corn-- How about mexican corn bread that has corn in it

Or what we always use up all our corn in is mix corn, salsa, chicken, and any kind of beans you have on hand we like kidney and black and cook in the crockpot.
Serves great on chips, tortillas, taco shells or alone

And we use corn in vegetarian chili

carrots--I use the shreded carrots in my chicken salad you dont really notice them but gives the mixture a lil more nutritional value to cancel out the mayo ;)

spinach--The only thing I ever buy Spinach for is to put in stuffed cheese manicotti shells

All the rest = veggie soup or search online for unique casseroles and soups..

Good luck! Veggies and Beans are something I can never fully stock since we eat them so often in things and on the side.

C

coupondink

spinach

Resurrecting my plea for recipes for canned veggies!

I found some very interesting ideas online.

I have tons of canned spinach. TONS. Like 30 cans or so. Ok, that may not seem like a lot of some of the mega-stockpilers around here, but for a couple of 2, that doesn't crave canned veggies, it is a boatload to us.
I went to the internet to solve my dilemma, where all good knowledge comes from. LOL.

Tonight I made German Creamed Spinach.
Keeper!!!!! I could eat buckets of this it is so good!

German Creamed Spinach, How To Make German Creamed Spinach, Creamed Spinach Recipe, Spinach Recipes

I adapted it to canned spinach.

Basically, I drained the can. Pureed it in the food processor. made the cream sauce and mixed together.

CREAM SAUCE:
4 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoon finely-chopped onion
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Coarse salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
3 to 4 cups milk*

It was delicious. DH said it was good, but I could tell he didn't like it. That's ok. More for me!

Next up - I want to try to make an Indian spinach recipe. I may try sag aloo or channa saag. I just have to find someplace that sells cumin cheaply. I have everything else for these dishes. A small jar is over 4 buck in Shoprite. Yikes! Anyone know someplace in Bergen or Union NJ that sells cumin cheap?

Still searching for recipes for canned corn, beets, carrots, green beans. The green bean, mushroom soup, and fried onion casserole is getting a little old, you know? I should mention I have over 100 cans of Progresso veggie soups, so any sort of soup recipe is completely and irrevocably out the question. LOL. :hysterical:

C

coupondink

Yikes! Just got another 10 cans of spinach for free, and still haven't made a dent in the stockpile. My dr. keeps yelling at me to eat more spinach because of the iron, so I am determined to find a recipe I like.

It IS delicious in lasagna, manicotti, and stuffed shells. The creamed spinach was awesome. I found a humongo container of cumin at Farmers Market on Route 17 (deal alert! all mongo spices are $2!!!!!!!!!) and hope to make the Indian spinach soon. MMMM.

I found a recipe for potpie on allrecipes.com that uses canned mixed veggies and cream of mushroom (woot! 2 stockpile items) with leftover chicken. I like to make rotisserie chicken but don't like the leftovers, so this is a great idea! I'll let you know how it turns out. I made a shepard's pie with leftover chick, canned veggies, onions, soy sauce and topped it with mashed potatoes and it was delicious. The key ingredient? Sambal Olek as a topper! (indonesian? hot sauce for those that don't know). DH and I dogged the entire baking pan within days and I thought he would not eat it at all!

I tried a corn and cornmeal casserole with jalapenos and it was so so.

Next up is a canned carrot and ginger recipe! And I will ve trying a green rice next weekend.

I already gave away 100's of veggies, but was hoping to make this last of the stockpile work. I am slowly finding good recipes, so it was worth the wait.

Still looking.....

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
Have you checked out the Popeye's spinach website? Lots of recipes for spinach there!
Popeye

enginerd

Trader Group
How about some sort of hot spinach dip (with cheese - like they serve as an appetizer in restaurants) Can you share how you are getting veggies for free.:smile: I would love to get canned spinach free.

C

coupondink

How about some sort of hot spinach dip (with cheese - like they serve as an appetizer in restaurants) Can you share how you are getting veggies for free.:smile: I would love to get canned spinach free.

Sure! Shoprite had a cat deal a while back. With coupons and cat deal I got 300-400 canned veggies free. I donated more than half and have been slowly working through the rest. The latest batch of canned spinach came from my Dad, who got a ton of it recently at a senior service, but will not eat canned spinach.

S

shashabell

I wonder if you could drain and squeeze out all the liquid from the spinach, chop it up. Start by sauteing onions and garlic in olive oil, add the chopped spinach, and some cut up tomatoes (you could use any kind. Even cherry tomatoes). Or if you have an abundance of canned tomatoes, squeeze out the juce of them, chop, and add them instead of fresh tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes collapse. Toss in some cooked pasta.

S

shashabell

Here's another one for spinach. Drain and squeeze the juice, chop, and add it to a cream sauce and cheese. Pour into a pie shell or in phillo dough, or stuff in crescent rolls.

enginerd

Trader Group
Sure! Shoprite had a cat deal a while back. With coupons and cat deal I got 300-400 canned veggies free. I donated more than half and have been slowly working through the rest. The latest batch of canned spinach came from my Dad, who got a ton of it recently at a senior service, but will not eat canned spinach.

Lucky you! No Shoprite here.

saving-n-va

Trader Group
You can make a really good vegetable soup with the peas, corn, beans and carrots. Just put them in the crockpot, along with a chopped onion, a can of diced tomatoes, a couple of cups of beef broth, and (to make it super yummy!!) about a half of a jar of spaghetti sauce. Salt and pepper if you need to, but I don't, and my family loves it!! It's a soup that I (allergic to meat) can eat too!!

I used to make this all the time! But I used a can of tomato sauce instead of spaghetti sauce. (use what you have). We called it "dump soup". Cuz we just dumped the cans in after draining the liquid off the veggies. If you add some kidney beans, italian seasoning and a bit of pasta at the end, you have an easy minestrone.

Could you use the spinach to make stuffed shells? Mix drained spinach, ricotta and parm. cheese w/ an egg, cook some pasta shells, stuff w/ the mix (or use lasagna noodles and roll them up w/ the cheese/spinach mix). Top w/ some pasta sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake.

Green beans, bacon and red potatoes are yummy together.