Ooey Gooey Cake Mix Cookies

Q

Queen Tonya

AKA, the best and easiest cookies ever!

This is a great way to use up all those cake mixes you've got stockpiled.

1 Boxed cake mix (any brand, chocolate or lemon work best)
1 stick real butter (margarine makes the baby Jesus cry)
1 brick cream cheese
1 egg
Powdered sugar for dusting

Soften cream cheese and butter in mixer bowl until blendable, combine. (Use a stand mixer or go very gently with a hand mixer, this recipe has been known to burn up the smaller mixer motors!)

Add egg, combine.

Add cake mix a bit at a time, mixing well with each addition.

Now you've got a Very Thick and Rich batter, but it's a little too melty after all the mixing, so pop the bowl right into the fridge for a few hours or even overnight.

Preheat oven to 350

Assemble cookie sheets, using parchment paper to line or silicone mats, no greasing them, though.

Use a teaspoon (a small melon baller works great if you've got one) and scoop out small meatball sized globs. Dunk the glob in some powdered sugar, then roll in your hands to a nice round ball. You can roll then dunk, but you end up with Seriously Messy hands and you use quite a bit more powdered sugar.

Plop powdered cookie balls on sheet, leaving room for expansion, they'll be about the diameter of regular store bought cookies.

Bake 9-11 minutes, they'll soften and expand and the tops will start cracking. Sift powdered sugar over them again after they come out, and let cool completely before you remove them from the liner.

The cookies are incredibly rich and soft, don't try and bake them until they're firm, you'd have to burn them to hockey pucks. Since they firm up a bit as they cool, it's easiest to just slide the liner (silicone or parchment) right off the pan and let them cool that way.

Each recipe makes about 60 cookies, minus the quality control test cookies you have to eat. The ball-rolling helps to keep them evenly sized so none get burned, it's a bit of a PITA but worth it, and it's easy to train helpers to assist you.

No one will believe you didn't spend hours and big $$ since they taste so buttery and rich, you'd never guess there's a simple cake mix in there!

I

isis

That sound Yummmmy! Actually, that recipe is pretty similar to something my mom makes (she calls it almond squares....paula dean calls hers ooey gooey butter cake and i've also heard chess squares) I will definately add this to my list of things to bake! This would be great for teacher appreciation week and whenever the school needs donations for fundraisers.