OMG! I just made the best roast ever!!!

K

kurlisola

I got the recipe on one of Giadi's cooking shows. I don't usually like food that uses wine as an ingrediant, but this time, it was so mild, it was fantastic. Here it is if anyone wants it:

Heat 2-3T Olive oil in dutch oven (or stock pot if yours can go into oven)
Season chuck roast (about 3lbs) with salt & pepper (all sides, rub in well)
Cook roast 5 minutes on each side (med high heat)
Set roast aside

Cut 2 medium onions into large chunks
Cut 3 carrots & 3 celery stalks into large chunks

Add 2-3% olive oil to previously used pan, heat to medium, add veggies & cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add 6 cloves of coursely chopped garlic
Cook for 1 minute

Add 1C dry red wine (use something for drinking, not cooking wine)
Add can of beef broth or stock
Add about 1-2 cups of porcini dried mushrooms (I got a small pack at HT for $2.99 & used the entire thing)

Stir & cook for a minute or two

Add meat back into mixture & cover & put in over at 350 degrees for about 2 hours.

When done cooking, remove meat, strain out veggies & save sauce or "gravy". Cut roast & pour some of the gravy over it.

I served it with mashed potatoes with garlic and butter & some baby carrots. It would probably go really well with a salad on the side.

It was absolutely heavenly & dh (who doesn't usually like roasts) said it was the best roast he had ever tasted! He wants it once a month from now on:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristen.C

Trader Group
I think I actually saw this episode!! If I am remembering correctly it did look absolutely tasty. Giada always has the best stuff on her shows.

K

kurlisola

Kristen.C said:
I think I actually saw this episode!! If I am remembering correctly it did look absolutely tasty. Giada always has the best stuff on her shows.

Yes, it was just on a few days ago. The reason I took note is that I had 10 chuck roasts sitting in my frig, about to be ground up into hamburger! Set one aside to try.

She did do a couple things different. She did not add the carrots or celery (she said they were optional) Then once she removed the cooked meat from the oven, she skimmed off the fat & poured the onion, broth, mushroom mixture into a food processor.

I ran into a problem at the end because I had the bulky carrots & celery. Decided to just blend them up anyway. But next time, I'll remove the carrots and celery & not blend them up.

I watched her show today & got a fantastic looking recipes for italian sausage sandwiches, fried ravioli & little italian fried sweet bread (or donuts).

I rarely rarely make food off of a tv show, but the roast looked so scrumptious, I couldn't help myself. Will be making the other items this week.

P

pattygirl

Wine recipes are ideal.. Sounds delish! something I may try soon.. thanks op!