¼ cup butter
2 packages active dry yeast
½ cup warm water (105 – 115 degrees)
6 ¼ - 7 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup light molasses
2 eggs
1 ½ tsp salt

In medium heatproof bowl, combine oats, boiling water and butter; stir until butter is melted. Cool until warm (105 – 115 degrees). In large bowl, combine yeast and water; stir to dissolve yeast. Stir in oat mixture, 2 cups of the flour, the sugar, molasses, eggs and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to take dough easy to handle. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic, adding as much remaining flour as needed to prevent sticking. Shape dough into a ball. Place in large, greased bowl; turn dough once to grease surface. Cover with a towel; let rise in warm place (85 degrees) until doubled, about 1 ½ hours.

Punch dough down; divide in half. With floured hands, shape each half into 18 smooth balls. Place balls in 2 greased 13x9x2-inch pans. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven 20 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. If desired, brush tops of hot rolls with melted butter; serve warm.

M

mama22qts

I made these tonight and they are super! I used bulk yeast and I substituted 2 C of wheat flour for 2 C of regular flour. We'd love to eat a lot more whole grains and we're getting there slowly.

It's a sweet bread, but not too sweet to eat at dinner. Is a great departure from the standard yeast roll.

If you make these, allow yourself plenty of time as these take FOREVER to rise. I have good, fresh yeast and it still took about 1 1/2 hours to rise. They were well worth the wait though.

B

BzyBee

Do you think the rising took so long because of the wheat flour?
I sometimes mix it half white/wheat but not more than that unless the recipe says I can.

They do sound good...yummy molasses!!

M

mama22qts

I don't know -- I've never really done that much baking with whole wheat flour. That could be the case. But of the 7 cups of flour that the recipe calls for, only two were whole wheat. Anyhow, they were really great. The brown sugar and molasses make the rolls very flavorful without being overly sweet.

B

BzyBee

mama22qts said:
I don't know -- I've never really done that much baking with whole wheat flour. That could be the case. But of the 7 cups of flour that the recipe calls for, only two were whole wheat. Anyhow, they were really great. The brown sugar and molasses make the rolls very flavorful without being overly sweet.

OH..I missed that...I thought you traded out 100% wheat for white. :rolleyes:
That should have been fine.

I make an oatmeal bread in the machine and it is so good warm with peanut butter on it...(((drooling))) or even as toast with just butter. I think I will have to try these rolls!!