Now that you have all that free food what are you going to do with it?

M

momto8kiddos

Rice you could use in cabbage rolls wth free tomato sauce.

There are two standard dishes we make all the time here with free stuff. The first is tuna pasta salad. It's so easy a caveman could make it. :giggle2: One pound Wacky Mac, ooked, drained, cooled. Four small packets Bumble Bee Tuna. One bottle ranch salad dressing. Mix. Eat!

The second is Mexican Lasagna. A layer of coarsely crushed free corn torillas shells. A layer of free refried beans. A layer of hamburger seasoned with free taco seasoning. A layer of free salsa. Optional layer of cheddar. Repeat. Top with more crushed free corn tortillas. Bake uncovered in the oven 30 minutes or so. Serve with free sour cream. :BigHand:

C

chitownmelli

I've been slacking a little on my super cheap meals, but I am ready to get back in the swing of things :) Anyone else have any meals that they would like to share to stretch our stockpile stash?

CW&M Mom

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶Dugalina٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ ᙢᘎG!
Trader Group
I make 2 meals with rice.

I do a sausage and rice with frozen veggies in it.

cook ground sausage...like you cook hamburger.
When it's done I put a small package or 1/2 package of frozen peas and carrots in with the sausage to defrost.

I do 5 minute rice...so then I cook 3 cups of rice then...if you do longer rice...you'll obviously need to start the rice sooner. Once the rice is ready I add it to the sausage and rice..and viola...you got yourself a meal. With it being sausage I don't find I need to add any seasoning to it...but if someone really likes a more spicier meal..then it would be easy to add.

The other thing I do with rice...is when I cook a turkey loaf (the ones that come in the roasting tray with gravy in it)...I cook up the loaf...when it's done...I cook 2-3 cups of rice...cut up the turkey loaf in to small pieces and add them and the gravy to the mixture...throw in some salt and another easy meal.

CW&M Mom

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶Dugalina٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ ᙢᘎG!
Trader Group
To help use up our stash of Mac and Cheese

I make Western Mac. there are various online recipes...and it's easy to adapt to what your family likes.

Western Mac Recipe
2 pkg Macaroni and Cheese Dinner
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups whole kernel corn, drained (apr 1 can)
1 can tomato paste (or 1 can of tomato soup)
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup Cheese (can skip if you want)

I cook the ground hamburger. Once it's close to being finished...I cook up the mac and cheese. Once the hamburger is done cook up the onion with it. Once both are finished..combine and add the corn and tomato paste or soup. add salt and pepper and cheese on top.

Pour into casserole and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake, at 350. (cook aprx 15-20 min) I keep it covered for about 10-15 minutes and then uncover for the last 5 minutes.

T

tinkinpink84

My friend in germany makes a weird dish it doesnt taste bad. Pasta noodles. onion and ham sauteed mix with the cooked noodles and top with ketchup.
Another one im not sure the inredient sizes. But you use an 8 x8 backing dish. cruch doritoes. the nacho cheese ones. Mix with a can of rotel tomatoes and cream of chicken soup and a can of campbells cheese cook on 400 for like 20 min. i usually melt cheese on top and it tastes like a mexican dish!
When i have alot of rice i cook that and ground beef and veggies. I mix it all together and make gravy to put over it and season it to your preferred taste. Think i need to be making this again soon with all the rice and ground beef i have!

$

$Saving!

Any ideas for stretching rice...we are swimming in free rice!

I love rice and I simply cook it, mix it with frozen cooked veggies, add a touch of seasoning or anything you like the flavor of to set it off, add meat if you desire.

Heat it all up and it makes a wonderful side dish or in my case, a meal :biggrin:

I could eat rice every day and never mind it a bit.

I also use it a lot with marinated, grilled boneless skinless chicken and veggies. Or left over bits of steak cut up and thrown in, whatever is on hand!

T

tinkinpink84

I like to use the mahatama (sp) yellow rice spicy or non in burritoes. Tastes better then alone. when i make burritos/tacos i always throw in a can of refried beans with the meat. Tastes better and stretches it a lil furter and keeps it packed together a lil better too!

C

chitownmelli

Tink, it's funny that you just mentioned that about the refried beans - I've been doing that too lately, only I learned how to make my own refried (well, you don't do the frying part, and they still taste awesome) beans and it does give the taco meat another layer of flavor and stretches it a little more.

T

tinkinpink84

when i get those coupons for $/2 of ortega or something like that and double at harris teeter or during triples i always get taco seasoning and a can of refried beans. they just go hand in hand to me lol.