Now that you have all that free food what are you going to do with it?

M

mkaccountant

Wow, so lovin this thread! I am like a PP with sneakin rice in to stretch food. Plus I am not a big meat eater, so hubby can eat more of the meaty parts and I get the rice and veggies! Also, I sneak in as much veggies as possible.

Question - I like chickpeas but have never bought them, what would be the cheapest way to go to get some and start infusing meals with them to get hubby on the game plan?

Also, I am all for the homemade bread recipes! I love the smell of bread baking!

Not related, but kinda, I stretch some things by making dog/cat treats. I get lots free when Kmart/Kroger do super doubles, but if I can get free tuna and have some flour I need to use up - voila! cat treats! or flour with some bouillon - dog treats. Yes there are some other ingredients like egg, etc, but it is very healthy for pets and make good, cheap Christmas presents to animal lovin friends!

C

chitownmelli

AFAIK, dried beans seem to give you more bang for your buck, you just have to less scatterbrained and impatient than I so that you take the time to soak them and turn them back into food lol!!! If you want hubby to like chickpeas just make him falafel! Can't go wrong mmmmmmmm!

Thanks for joining our thread!

M

mkaccountant

AFAIK, dried beans seem to give you more bang for your buck, you just have to less scatterbrained and impatient than I so that you take the time to soak them and turn them back into food lol!!! If you want hubby to like chickpeas just make him falafel! Can't go wrong mmmmmmmm!

Thanks for joining our thread!

Can you bake falafel or do you have to fry it? I love falafel, had it at Boma in Disney, yummm, but have never made it. All the recipes I have found so far are for frying. But did find some recipes for dry garbonza beans! Yeah!

C

chitownmelli

I have never baked mine, always fried. I have no clue at all if it would be as yummy baked.

C

chitownmelli

Portuguese Sweet Bread

• 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons margarine
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
For those with bread machines:

1. Add ingredients in order suggested by your manufacturer.
  2. Select "sweet bread" setting.
For those who do not:

1. Warm milk to 120 degrees and add yeast. Let set until foamy about 10 - 15 min.
  2. Add to the rest of the ingredients and mix. This is a very easy dough to mix by hand. It will be sticky.
  3. After mixing, cover and let rise for 1-2 hours. Punch down and let rise again or form into rolls at this time.
  4. For one loaf bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees
For richer, sweeter bread increase sugar to 1/2 c and add one additional egg yolk.

I borrowed this recipe from allrecipes dot com, it had 4 1/2 stars and who wouldn't love a nice loaf of sweet bread in this cold ucky winter?

I am going to make this and monkey bread to bring to DH's family's Christmas party :) --- well actually, I am going to make 3 of these and 3 monkey breads lol, huuuuuge family!

T

tn_native

I donated LOTS to my local foodbank at Can-A-Thon, a drive we have every December in the northern Alabama area.

C

chitownmelli

very cool! Isn't it great to be able to do things like that?

T

tn_native

very cool! Isn't it great to be able to do things like that?

I've ALWAYS donated, but now that it is less expensive for me, I set a $$ budget and stick to it. This year it was $25, but with coupons I know I donated more than $150 worth. I posted about it in the Publix forum if you want to read the list of items.

tn_native

tacatcon

Mod Of The Month April 2009
Trader Group
Wow, so lovin this thread! I am like a PP with sneakin rice in to stretch food. Plus I am not a big meat eater, so hubby can eat more of the meaty parts and I get the rice and veggies! Also, I sneak in as much veggies as possible.

Question - I like chickpeas but have never bought them, what would be the cheapest way to go to get some and start infusing meals with them to get hubby on the game plan?

I love chickpeas too and they are so good for you. One recipe I make with them is actually from a WW cookbook. If your hubby likes spicy, this one might be for you. Warning-you need a good blender or food processor for this.

Zesty Chickpeas and Shells

2 1/4 cups medium shells
1 15 1/2 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
2 tblsps red wine vinegar
4 teaspoons garlic oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 tbslp water
1/2 tsp salt
1 red Fresno or jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (wear gloves to prevent irritation)

Cook the shells according to package. Drain and rinse with cool water until just warm. Meanwhile, pulse 1/2 cup of the chickpeas, the vinegar, oil, water and salt in a blender until almost smooth. Scrape into large serving bowl; stir in the pepper. Add the shells and the remaining chickpeas, toss to coat.

Now if I can't find a red jalapeno pepper (I've never found a red Fresno) I just use another "hot pepper". But what they say about the gloves is true. If you've never worked with these suckers, you can seriously regret it if you don't use gloves.

this one is a pretty easy and healthy one.

My sister told me she made oatmeal raisin cookies with chickpeas in them to hide the protein. She has a 2 year old who doesn't eat enough protein and this recipe was in some book she read, I have to get the actual recipe from her but I want to try it.

C

chitownmelli

I second that about the gloves, or remembering to wash your hands RIGHT AWAY when using peppers. I once burnt my fingers... under my skin!!! And nothing I could do would make the pain stop, I had to wait it out :(

I now wash my hands after handling ANY hot pepper. Lesson learned!

busyasabeecrg

°ʅ︵ʃ° Member of the (°‿°) Month 11/2010 - (▬) -
Trader Group
Oh, and I learned last Wednesday that they really mark down the deli stuff even more right before a holiday when they will not be open regular hours (they closed at 2 on Thanksgiving) - so I plan on checking on Christmas Eve for sure - LOL

Love this thread...I think I've spent half my life cooking...DH and I even owned a restaurant several years ago..leased a space, designed it, bought all the equipment, etc. and 6 months after we opened, it was rated #1 in the county!! The restaurant meant 18 hours a day on my feet and gave DH an ulcer...so we sold it. :hysterical: Then I got in the travel business, which was great for 3 years...since then, it pays almost nothing, but the travel benefits are great!!

Just wanted to mention that most of my stores don't mark down...told me they don't want to get that "reputation":frown: but at least they do donate to agencies helping the needy.

Luckily, one of my stores does mark down and it really works out great to get to know the employees who do the mark downs...they all have their time schedules. It's a real challenge for me since I head to work at 5:30am and it's17 miles each way from home LOL but since I know when the meat, bakery, deli, refrigerated, etc. mark down their stuff, I try to get some items at least once a weekday and most Saturdays. I've shopped at that store for a few years and everybody is super nice to me...the deli/refrigerated guy will see me walk in and come to tell me to "hurry", he just marked down some stuff I like! The bakery girl does the same. If I get too busy to go there for as much as 10 days, several come up and say they missed me!! Imagaine the stuff I could get if I didn't work!!! :hysterical: I could go there a few times each day!!

AFTER a holiday is also a great time to check for markdowns. Many times they order too much...won't be here for Christmas this year, but last year
they had dips and salsas marked to 25c each. $7 pies for $1. Bread and rolls 50c. Yogurt 20c. Used low value coupons that I wouldn't have normally used.

It's worth the effort! :BigHand:

C

chitownmelli

I tried what another member suggested and popped in last year the day after Christmas to look for marked down overstock on hams and other meats. No luck at my regular store, but now that the "other" (wonderful!!) store is here, I am hoping to be able to grab a couple of meats marked down to put in the freezer for later this year.

M

mkaccountant

I love chickpeas too and they are so good for you. One recipe I make with them is actually from a WW cookbook. If your hubby likes spicy, this one might be for you. Warning-you need a good blender or food processor for this.

Zesty Chickpeas and Shells

2 1/4 cups medium shells
1 15 1/2 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
2 tblsps red wine vinegar
4 teaspoons garlic oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 tbslp water
1/2 tsp salt
1 red Fresno or jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (wear gloves to prevent irritation)

Cook the shells according to package. Drain and rinse with cool water until just warm. Meanwhile, pulse 1/2 cup of the chickpeas, the vinegar, oil, water and salt in a blender until almost smooth. Scrape into large serving bowl; stir in the pepper. Add the shells and the remaining chickpeas, toss to coat.

Now if I can't find a red jalapeno pepper (I've never found a red Fresno) I just use another "hot pepper". But what they say about the gloves is true. If you've never worked with these suckers, you can seriously regret it if you don't use gloves.

this one is a pretty easy and healthy one.

My sister told me she made oatmeal raisin cookies with chickpeas in them to hide the protein. She has a 2 year old who doesn't eat enough protein and this recipe was in some book she read, I have to get the actual recipe from her but I want to try it.

Yumm, going to have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

E

Erinne

keep checking your stores for mark downs n meat. my local stores mark down stuff al the time! i can go in on any given day and find at least 2 or 3 items marked down really well, i just go in straight after work everyday and do a walk through! i havent paid full price for meat or bakery items for over 2 months now!

C

chitownmelli

I'm going to be doing Deep Dish - or Chicago Style pizza tonight. I thought I would mention it because almost all of the ingredients were either free or super cheap:

home made crust - say about .50 worth of flour, a sprinkle of sugar, splash of oil, and .05 worth of yeast (oh yeah coupons and a seasonal markdown!)

pasta sauce made from 28 oz of FREE Muir Glen chunky tomato sauce and whatever spices I feel like adding.

sausage for DH's pizza - Farmland... so free with overage last summer!

Pepperoni - from the deli, full price. No problem though.

Mushrooms for DH's pizza - .15, I just buy what we need at the time, that is what we needed today.

Olives for DH - a few green, a few black, I pay no more than .99 per jar, so that's a few cents per olive.

mozz cheese, 1.66 on sale.

Pretty decent amount of chow for very little cash! I will make 2 9 inch deep dishes with these ingredients, we will probably each eat half tonight and half for lunch tomorrow.

So, 3.98 for 2 deep dish pizzas, can't beat that! I think I will have to serve those whenever we have a get together at our house with his family, I always make a ton of stuff, so a piece for each person would work nicely. :) (BTW, a serving for us, and for most people from Chicago would be a quarter of a pie of this size, that's why I said one slice per person, in case you thought I was not gonna share nicely lol!!!)

A

atlgirljj

Well I am new to this starting this month, so what I have food wise right now from the coupons is Jolly Time popcorn, cheese cheese cheese and Rotel, Rotel, Rotel!

The cheese is no problem to use up, we make little 'pizzas' on tortillas all the time here. So there's that and cheese sauce for macaroni or on top of broccoli or cauliflower.

Another idea since it looks like a lot of people end up with eggbeaters (or you can use regular eggs, they have gone up but are still cheap) would be to make a quiche. You use a frozen or dairy case pie crust (cheap from after Thanksgiving or Christmas), eggs or eggbeaters, a little milk, some of the CHEESE everyone seems to have loaded up on at Kroger and broccoli from the free Steamers that were going on.

Those are my ideas, I'll see what I end up with after a few more weeks of this!

bugface711

Mod of the Month 12/2010 Sǝɔᴚǝʇɐᴚʎ ʇo ʇɥǝ Quǝǝn
Trader Group
bumping this up, there are some GREAT ideas in here. Mel, maybe we should put it in the recipe area so more members can benefit from this?

S

sciteacher

Any ideas for stretching rice...we are swimming in free rice!