Need Sauce Ideas For Tilapia.

T

Thrifty Bee

I have been cooking my Tilapia in foil pouches in the convection oven and it was good but today I browned it in a skillet and it was awesome! Just a little spray of oil (pump bottle, aerosol sprays ruin non-stick), a few drops of lemon juice, and a couple twists of a garlic pepper McCormick grinder. It was moist, juicy, tender and flavorful, the fish flavor really popped.

But I’m a sauce person, I like to have a common sauce that carries over from the meat to my main side. Like the way I put BBQ sauce on my mashed potatoes when I have it with BBQ chicken. When I eat rice I like to put sauce on it and I eat rice a lot as a side for Tilapia.

I don’t want it to have an overwhelming taste. I want it to complement the fish taste, not cover it up. Something pre-made would be convenient because I only cook Tilapia and rice for myself as a quick lunch. Also, possibly something that wouldn’t undo the meal being healthy.

TIA for any ideas.

everprincess

(\(\ Energizer Bunny - ( =':') She Keeps Going!
Trader Group
I use the McCormick seasoning packets I have in my stockpile. I put the fish in a bag with the packet, vinegar, olive oil and some water. I let it sit in the fridge for 15 mins and then line a baking sheet with foil and apply some Pam to the foil. It's really good. I love the tomato, basil and garlic the best.

T

Thrifty Bee

I use the McCormick seasoning packets I have in my stockpile. I put the fish in a bag with the packet, vinegar, olive oil and some water. I let it sit in the fridge for 15 mins and then line a baking sheet with foil and apply some Pam to the foil. It's really good. I love the tomato, basil and garlic the best.

That sounds good but isn't that a dry seasoning? I want a wet sauce that I can pour on the fish and rice after it's cooked.

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
I didn't see this until just now.

I eat lots of tilapia...and like you, I like some flavor with mine, and I love sauces.

Have you tried Hollandaise sauce? I use the McCormick or Knorr packets. It makes a little over a cup, so there's enough for two servings. I like it on my fish...and it's great over rice or potatoes too (especially hash browns!).

Do you like spicy foods? I make a baked tilapia with a sauce made from lemon juice, brown sugar, chili powder and cayenne pepper. It's awesome over rice!

I think I posted a recipe called "foil baked chicken" that's good with fish instead of chicken too. The chicken (or fish) cooks in a foil pouch filled with homemade bbq sauce. There's plenty of sauce for your side dish!

When my family is having meatballs, I bake tilapia with some spaghetti sauce over it. Cook a little pasta to go with it, and put the fish and sauce over the pasta.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. If I think of more, I'll post it!

everprincess

(\(\ Energizer Bunny - ( =':') She Keeps Going!
Trader Group
That sounds good but isn't that a dry seasoning? I want a wet sauce that I can pour on the fish and rice after it's cooked.

I like the seasoning baked into the fish. I've always done it this way. But as you see XUfan loves tilapia and has more ideas for you. :smile:

I didn't see this until just now.

I eat lots of tilapia...and like you, I like some flavor with mine, and I love sauces.

Have you tried Hollandaise sauce? I use the McCormick or Knorr packets. It makes a little over a cup, so there's enough for two servings. I like it on my fish...and it's great over rice or potatoes too (especially hash browns!).

Do you like spicy foods? I make a baked tilapia with a sauce made from lemon juice, brown sugar, chili powder and cayenne pepper. It's awesome over rice!

I think I posted a recipe called "foil baked chicken" that's good with fish instead of chicken too. The chicken (or fish) cooks in a foil pouch filled with homemade bbq sauce. There's plenty of sauce for your side dish!

When my family is having meatballs, I bake tilapia with some spaghetti sauce over it. Cook a little pasta to go with it, and put the fish and sauce over the pasta.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. If I think of more, I'll post it!

I love these ideas. This will work great after my seasoning packets run out of the stockpile:smile:.

M

mtimoney

I put alot of weber zesty lemon seasoning on the tiapia before I cook it, then melt some butter in the pan till its hot, cook both sides and remove. If the pan still some butter in it you are ok if not add a little then a few splashes of white wine, let that boil a couple minutes and add some fresh chopped parsley.

XUfan

Trader Group
OK..I had to add this. Last night, I made General Tso's Tilapia!! Seriously!! I used the General Tso's chicken packet (made by Sun-Bird), but used Tilapia instead. It was awesome!!! Plenty of sauce to put over rice too!

T

Thrifty Bee

OK..I had to add this. Last night, I made General Tso's Tilapia!! Seriously!! I used the General Tso's chicken packet (made by Sun-Bird), but used Tilapia instead. It was awesome!!! Plenty of sauce to put over rice too!

Hmm, not a clue who or what General Tso's is but he sounds interesting. I ran across some sweet A1 that's leftover from the days I actually used buy steak and roasts. I was wondering if that may be good to cook with and serve over Tilapia if it's watered down.

XUfan

Trader Group
Hmm, not a clue who or what General Tso's is but he sounds interesting. I ran across some sweet A1 that's leftover from the days I actually used buy steak and roasts. I was wondering if that may be good to cook with and serve over Tilapia if it's watered down.

LOL! General Tso's Chicken is served at most Chinese restaurants. It's lightly breaded and fried, and then smothered in a sauce that's kind of a sweet/spicy/asian/bbq sauce. I loved it when I could eat meat...and I've missed it since then. So, I tried it on fish, and it's great! It's also good on pork (which is what the rest of the family ate last night).

As for the A1...I'm not sure. I was never a big A1 fan, so I probably wouldn't try it on fish, personally. If you like the taste of it, you could try it and see. You never know what taste combinations are going to work unless you try them.

T

Thrifty Bee

LOL! General Tso's Chicken is served at most Chinese restaurants. It's lightly breaded and fried, and then smothered in a sauce that's kind of a sweet/spicy/asian/bbq sauce. I loved it when I could eat meat...and I've missed it since then. So, I tried it on fish, and it's great! It's also good on pork (which is what the rest of the family ate last night).

As for the A1...I'm not sure. I was never a big A1 fan, so I probably wouldn't try it on fish, personally. If you like the taste of it, you could try it and see. You never know what taste combinations are going to work unless you try them.

Do you have to bread and fry it? Can you even bread something that's frozen? I never have my Tilapia defrosted.

I tried the A1 yesterday and it wasn't horrible but it wasn't extremely good either.

C

cheynesnana

Ohhh I never thought of that! Thanks Carol!! :biggrin:

XUfan

Trader Group
Do you have to bread and fry it? Can you even bread something that's frozen? I never have my Tilapia defrosted.

I tried the A1 yesterday and it wasn't horrible but it wasn't extremely good either.

You just lightly coat it with flour. It's what makes the sauce thick when you add it. I always defrost my tilapia before I cook it, so I don't know about coating it frozen.