Need recipes to use up BREAD!!

P

Pennstater

Hi,

I'm looking for any ideas or recipes to use up BREAD! DH has come upon a huge FREE supply of bread, someone owns a bakery! We get, onion rolls, baguettes, dinner rolls, hamburger buns, etc. As much as we want for free. The freezer is full and I've been making

Garlic toast with dinner
sandwiches obviously
Italian Bread soup (made once)
croutons for salad

Any other ideas!
maybe homemade bread crumbs, but I have only a blender, no food processor?

Help?:thanks7:

B

Buc-O-Mama

What about a breakfast strata, just cut or tear up whatever type of bread, put it in a greased pan, add a little ham or spinach or onion or peppers (you get it), whisk 6 eggs (for a 13x9 pan) and pour over top. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350 until bubbly.

Bread puddings are fun, and you can make SO many varieties!

Quick mini pizzas, meatball subs, cream cheese stuffed french toast

Enjoy that free bread!

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
I'd justify the price of a panini press with all the savings of not having to buy bread..... Drooling just thinking about it. LOL

D

Domestic Gal

You can make bread crumbs in the blender. I do not have a food processer and make mine in the blender. Just have to use small amounts at a time.

Baked french toast is really good. lots of recipes on the net for it.

C

chitownmelli

In addition to the bread crumbs, you could also make your own croutons!

S

shashabell

Make stuffing. I could eat stuffing everyday.

Make a gravy and pour it on torn bread instead of mashed potatoes. I love to do that with my milk gravy especially but I do it with any gravy.

Tear it into small pieces and use it as a filler. Take ground beef, the bread pieces, and diced onions and make small thin patties. Fry them slowly. (These are not the hamburgers that you eat on a bun. They are served as a meat with sides.)

C

coupondink

How about homemade shake-n-bake??

I second the bread crumbs suggestion. Process it down and place in a container or ziploc bag. Just toast in the toaster or spread out on a baking sheet and then put through the food processor or blender.
A few loafs of bread fit in one bag, so you save room in your freezer. Then proceed to make tons of cutlets and homemade shake and bake! I always have tons of breadcrumbs in my freezer from the heels of breads, scraps, and free bread I get once in a while.

I hate to say...but I have reached this point too with my full freezer....
At some point, after you followed all these suggestions, you may have to pack the freezer full, take enough for you to consume in one week and then start turning down the free bread or consider giving it away to neighbors, colleagues, food pantry or soup kitchen.

It is very exciting that you get all these freebies. Your DH has stumbled upon good fortune. ENJOY!

T

tdantin

How about bread pudding thats what I do . My family enjoys this yum!

M

momof2inohio

You are probably tired of sandwiches...but here is one of my favorites.

Italian Grilled Cheese

Italian bread (or you can use plain white bread)
Salami
mozzarella cheese
sprinkle of oregano

Just grill like you would a regular grilled cheese.

S

scentednights2002

We make our own stuffing, bread pudding, croutons, bread crumbs, grilled cheese, bullseyes, etc.

If it's sweet bread I'd say use it in bread pudding. If it's oniony, garlic bread or croutons would be best.

J

judymd

I double the bread pudding and baked french toast recs, I had a big loaf left over and dang, that was really tasty, even if I didn't follow the recipe exactly and know better next time.