need help with making sushi please!

JANE4girls

Member Of The Month July 2008
Trader Group
I must be doing something wrong...my seaweed is all rubbery....HELP. PM me if you have made sushi with the sheets of seaweed, cause I am off to the kitchen to try other ideas, lol

D

daltregirl

Yum - I havn't tried making it myself, but I called a friend of mine that owns a Japanese/Korean restaurant and asked for some fail safe tips.

- Make sure you are using Sushi Rice - spend the extra to get good stuff - make sure you don't use too much water when you make the rice - moisture content will make seaweed soggy - he suggests a 1-1 ratio meaning 1 cup rice to 1 cup water or less
- Dry off the fish pieces (or what ever you are putting in it) - moisture content can leave it soggy
- Use a rice cooker to cook the rice - this again will take out the exess water content
- Use good seaweed - he suggests going to the local asian grocer for all the supplies needed
- Use cold rice to make the rolls - if you use hot or warm rice, it will steam the seaweed
- Dont use any butter when making the rice
- Refrigerate the rolls right after making them for a bit - also makes them easier to cut into nice uniform pieces

Hope that helps.

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
mmm! Sushi! Now, I'm hungry! (makes great breakfast!)
I've made my own sushi with crab, smoked salmon, veggies....
I've even been successful with using brown sushi rice from the health food store. I agree with daltregirl's expert. Moisture and heat ruins sushi wrappers.

JANE4girls

Trader Group
thanks daltregirl...I will try those steps next time

this time I was just making crab and cream cheese sushi rolled in the seaweed. After sticking the whole thing in the fridge, and brushing water on the rolled roll, the seaweed was not rubbery.

i took two packs of the trans atlantic imitation crab meat, tossed it into a food processor, added one brick cream cheese, some bread crumbs and seasoning.

spread it on the end of a piece of seaweed about and inch out from the end and rolled up. After brushing water on the seaweed it put it in the fridge for a few hours and cut.

YUMMY!

D

derketchup

This is why I make spring rolls -- all you have to do is soak the wrappers!

C

chriscree

Are you going to put pictures on your blog? I have always wanted to try sushi..but never had the nerve.

E

extechy

Ah, so that's why you bought the seaweed the other day? :biggrin:

Sushi is the one thing I've never tried to make at home. If you figure it out, can you post it here?

I should have kept reading. I see you were successful. Recipe and techniques, please.

JANE4girls

Trader Group
I made the sushi by combining one brick cream cheese to 2 lbs imitation crab. Toss in the food processor with some seasoning and bread crumbs and mix until you have a paste. Spread on the end of a sheet of seaweed, about one inch think from the end. Roll seaweed up and chill. After about an hour you can cut it into bite size pieces.