Recipes - Tried & True Molasses Cornmeal Bread

Gardencook

Trader Group
We used to have this bread all the time and loved it. I got a bread machine and hadn't pulled out the recipe in YEARS. Tried it again today and remember why we liked it so much! It is quick and easy as well as delicious. I made quite a few adaptations to the recipe today and it still came out great.
Can't remember exactly where the recipe originated, but my mother gave us an Oster Kitchen Center for a wedding gift and based on the wording of the recipe, I think I may have gotten it in the book that came along with it. The recipe is aimed at mixers with dough hooks, but could be made by hand almost as easily.

Molasses Cornmeal Bread
Makes 2 loaves

2 cups water (because I was using whole grain flour, I increased the water by nearly 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup butter or margarine (I used olive oil)
2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 100 percent whole wheat flour in the entire recipe)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 packages active dry yeast (I used this much since I hadn't made the recipe in ages, but think it would be fine and just rise slower with one package.)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup molasses
3 to 3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat again)
Heat water and butter to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. (Since I was using oil that didn't need melting, I just used tap water slightly warmer than body temperature.)
In a large mixer bowl, combine 2 and 1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, salt, warmed mixture and molasses. Mix with doughmaker for 3 minutes. (It may be necessary to scrape sides of bowl with rubber spatula and rotate bowl slightly by hand.)
Add 3 cups flour and continue kneading for 3 minutes. If dough is sticky, knead in enough of remaining 1/2 cup flour to form a soft dough.
Put dough into greased bowl turning over once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled. (about 1 hour)
Punch down and divide into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a smooth ball, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. (I skipped this, since the dough was firm without resting.)
Shape dough into loaves and put into two greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. (Watch carefully. Mine didn't take close to this long.)
Bake in preheated 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 35 minutes, or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
Remove from pans and cool on racks. (Since mine had no white flour, I brushed the tops with a little olive oil while they were still hot in the pan to keep it soft and add a little sheen.)
Hope you enjoy!