Meals from the Pantry ... Please post yours!!

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by XUfan, Sep 25, 2015.

1. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

@saving-n-va I am so sorry to hear this news. Here is. A link for Cancer Treatment centers of America http://www.cancercenter.com/doctors-and-hospitals/

They have the latest news of any new treatments. There is a location in Philadelphia that maybe you could visit. Praying for your family.

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

So sorry about this! Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Hope things are looking up for you!

3. Gardencook

Finally, getting back to full meals again. We've just been fixing whatever for weeks now. Can't say there was any rhyme or reason to our meals, but it was food on the table and most of it was things we had on hand.

We had turkey hot dogs for lunch with cottage cheese that was already in the fridge. Couldn't resist the hot dogs since they were only 44 cents this week. Since we bought four packages, I guess that makes them pantry items now.

Tonight we went with chicken korma and veggies over brown rice. We got a deal on boneless chicken breasts the other day, found markdown fresh veggies and opened up a can of chickpeas with a jar of korma sauce.

With the brown rice it was pretty much all pantry ingredients, except that I splurged on some whole wheat naan bread for the side. It was at the small store that rarely sells things like that, so I figured I'd better encourage them stocking a few more unusual items when they actually go on sale!

4. Gardencook

We've been eating a lot from the pantry lately, but not really organized meals. Just grabbing things because they are convenient without any worries about whether the meal is "balanced.

Going to try and break out of that rut!

Got a bag of Mayocoba beans going in the slow cooker last night. I love beans straight out of the pot without so much as salt on them. I simply don't miss the salt when they are hot straight out of the pot. That was today's lunch.

It is getting hotter and don't want to heat up the house, so got a roast going in a second, larger slow cooker late this morning. We made an adapted version of Ropa Vieja -- Puerto Rican shredded beef.

Didn't follow the recipe exactly, but used some fresh produce that would reach the point of no return by the end of the weekend if it wasn't used -- bell pepper, poblanos and jalapenos along with the storage onions I bought last autumn -- we're still using the tail end of them.

Other ingredients included a Mexican roasted tomato sauce pouch, some tomato paste from a tube, a can of diced tomatoes, garlic from a jar and some spices.

Then after the roast was going a while, we let the bean pot cool, washed it up and popped in coarse ground cornmeal and water for polenta.

Tonight's dinner will be polenta bowls with Ropa Vieja, Mayocoba beans, shredded cheese, salsa, green onions and cilantro -- all ingredients we had on hand.

I also picked some fresh red orach that volunteers in our garden on the way into the house from the grocery store. It will provide some fresh "foliage" for the bowls (can't really call them "greens" since they are red, but they'll serve the same purpose.)

Found avocados on markdown at the store, so we'll each have half of a diced avocado on the bowl. We'll even have a squeeze of fresh lime for the top, since I got some limes on markdown recently.

I'm salivating just thinking of it!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    jastwins likes this.
  5. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Hiya Gardencook! Thanks for the reminder that this thread is here. I know...I started it! But I get lazy and forget to post things.

We've been eating from the pantry/freezer a lot, but I can't say I've been making creative meals. My focus lately has been making sure I have enough snacks and lunch items for when my sweet granddaughter comes to visit (a few times each week). Since her needs have changed, my shopping had to as well.

So, as far as shopping for meals goes, I've mainly been buying produce, and using the meat and fish in the freezer, along with sides from the pantry to make dinners. It's helped me make some pantry/freezer space, and also I've been able to tuck some money back for our upcoming weekend in Fort Wayne, IN (the jet-setters we are!).

Last night I made a really good tuna casserole though! Basically, here's what I did:

I cooked 8 oz of noodles, drained them and set them aside.
    Then, I sauteed some onions and mushrooms in olive oil with garlic, salt, and pepper. When they had cooked for about 5 minutes, I added about 1/4 cup of flour and stirred it into the pan, letting it cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
    I added a can of chicken broth, slowly, and stirred it until it started to thicken. Then, I added some milk (about a cup), and let it come to a boil. I added about 8 oz of frozen spinach (thawed), and 2 pouches of tuna and the noodles. After I took it off the heat, I stirred in some shredded cheddar cheese. I put it in a casserole dish, and topped it with potato chip crumbs (an homage to my childhood!), and baked it for 40 minutes at 375.

Everything in that casserole was something I had in my freezer and pantry. And it was GOOD!!! Hubby liked it too! I think you could use any vegetables...or even chicken instead of the tuna.

Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  6. Gardencook

Yesterday we made extra polenta -- with today in mind. Planned leftovers again. ;)

Spread the leftover polenta in a pan and stuck it in the fridge overnight. Then sliced it, fried it in a little olive oil and covered it in a jar of spaghetti sauce today. Doctored the sauce with produce we had on hand -- fresh onion, jarred garlic and a jalapeno pepper and used Parmesan from the pantry on top along with some fresh green onion and cilantro.

Made for a fairly effortless and very cheap meal.

jastwins likes this.
  7. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

@XUfan, I got giddy seeing the proper use of "an" instead of "a" before "homage" and of course other "h" words such as "honor." Truly giddy. When I read a newspaper article (and these people are graduates of J school?) and this rule is not followed, I go just a bit crazier than I was already.

NoHio and jastwins like this.
  8. Gardencook

Cooked up extra brown rice the other night, so we'd have some on hand, which works with the Asian theme tonight.

Used the second box of frozen sweet and sour chicken we got on a B1G1 deal a while back.

Veggies we've got on hand for a stir-fry to go with it: Broccoli, celery, carrots, green onions, cilantro.

9. XUfan

I'm glad I could make you smile!

10. vickib50

I have become the "grammar police" in my old age, @XUfan!

jastwins likes this.
  11. XUfan

12. Gardencook

Last night was EASY! Leftover shredded beef, leftover Mayocoba beans and cheese. Stuck the filling in corn tortillas and cooked them in the GT Xpress. Love that little hand pie maker when the weather turns hot and I don't want to heat up the kitchen!

13. vickib50

Oh, Carol, that's a good one! I don't dare wear that tee shirt, though. I get enough grief wearing my "Careful or you mind wind up in my novel" shirt.

jastwins likes this.
  14. Gardencook

Hot day -- what's better than hot soup? :p

Picked up a miserable summer cold and rather than suffer for days, thought it might be a good idea to burn it out.

All ingredients on hand: a box of chicken broth, WAAAAY too much jarred garlic, WAAAAY too much jalapeno, WAAAAY too much fresh ginger, carrots, celery, bell pepper, cilantro and green onions.

Made garlic bread out of a loaf of whole grain artisan bread we got on markdown and garlic powder.

My mouth's burning, but at least I can breathe better for a few minutes after eating it.

jastwins likes this.