Meals from the Pantry ... Please post yours!!

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by XUfan, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

NOT eating from the pantry today. Guess I should feel guilty, but we've got a massive thaw underway -- with some flooding of course. :confused: It is currently 60 degrees warmer than it was night before last!

My knee's feeling a bit better, with the barometric pressure change my splitting headache is gone and I haven't been out of this house for more than a month due to several feet of snow and ice.

We've got a buy one, get one buffet coupon that expires today and it doesn't even require the purchase of beverages so salad bar here I come!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Lucky1307, Cathy and Sherri1480 like this.
  2. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Good for you!! Enjoy!!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  3. XUfan

So, between the two of us, we figured out what to do with the pound of ground beef last night. I posted this on the "dinner" thread:

Oh...so last night, I took the pound of ground beef, crumbled it up and browned it. In another skillet, I sauteed mushrooms, onions and a green pepper, chopped. I took 2/3 of the veg mixture and added it to the beef. Then crumbled up a veggie patty and added it to the other 1/3. I covered both in Pioneer brown gravy, and let them simmer. We ate it over noodles...and it was yummy!!

Ground beef, veggie patty and peppers were in the freezer. I always have onions and mushrooms on hand, and the gravy mix and noodles are staples in my pantry.

Lucky1307 and Sherri1480 like this.
  4. Gardencook

Your veggies sound similar to the ones I had at the buffet last night @XUfan.

I always leave that place feeling miserable so decided to mend my ways. Knew I was going to have a large salad when I entered, but told myself I couldn't gorge on all the delicious meats this time. They've got steak, roast beef, a couple kinds of fish, quite a few Asian offerings, rotisserie chicken quarters, fried chicken, baked chicken, pizza ... you name it.

They had a beautiful roasted turkey that hadn't yet been cut and I only had a slice of that ignoring all the other delicious meats, then surrounded it with all sorts of cooked veggies -- especially enjoyed the stir-fried peppers and onions and steamed cabbage. Those are items I usually don't make for us at home. I don't know why, just haven't ever gotten in the habit.

Passed up the baked potatoes, fried potatoes, tater tots, French fries, scalloped potatoes and only had a small dab of mashed potatoes with a little gravy.

Still left the place feeling miserable. Guess that's why I'm not fond of buffets any longer. lol!

And the kicker was at the bread store right before we were leaving for the restaurant DH looked at me and asked "Are we having Quorn for dinner tonight?"

So I guess if he was so excited to try the Quorn last night, tonight is as good a night as any to give it a whirl.

We'll have Quorn "chick'n" patties on whole wheat buns with oven fries and roasted beets. Guess that is kind of a pantry meal, since the Quorn is frozen and you can't live in Idaho without having potatoes in the pantry. Had him buy the beets the other day, because they were on sale.

jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.
  5. XUfan

Goodness! I don't know how to start cooking a meal without sauteing mushrooms, onions, and peppers...or any combo of the three! LOL!! We eat a lot of those three things!

I picked up the Quorn today at Kroger. It took a little effort, though! None of the products had the shelf tag for the mega-sale. So, I picked up 3 (using two IPs and 1 digital coupon), and 2 bottles of Kens dressing. Well, the sale price rang up, but it didn't take the $5 off for the mega sale. The cashier was my favorite one there, and she has no problem stopping everything to help whoever she's ringing up. She flagged down a manager. I handed him the ad with the pic of Quorn in it. He said he still had to check it to be sure. No problem for me...but the lady behind me was NOT happy! I apologized, but she just turned away. The cashier said to me, "this happens all day long. I'm sure you've been behind someone who held the line up before. It's not a big deal." I told her that if it was 50 cents we were talking about, I would have gone to CS for it. But for $5, I was staying put! And we both got a chuckle out of that! The manager came back and said he couldn't find anything...then he manually took $5 off my bill! Yay!! I still stopped at CS on the way out, but it was to get a new ad, since they left it out of my Sunday paper and the sale starts tomorrow. I know I can see it online, but I like the paper!

6. Gardencook

How do you rate getting your ad a few days early @XUfan?

Grocery ads used to come out on Tuesday when we had an evening paper, but now they come Wednesday morning -- when the ad starts. They claimed the "advertisers" wanted a morning paper, but it sure made chaos out of the newspaper employee's lives -- and hardly anyone reads it until evening anyway, because few people grew up with a morning paper.

The online ads aren't posted until midnight Wednesday morning and Fred Meyer is headquartered on the West Coast and won't send me e-mailed ads any longer so I usually can't see those until 1 a.m. Sunday morning the day the ad starts. :(

I'm like you though and prefer a print ad, so DH usually picks up papers from a neighboring city -- since we refuse to subscribe to our own paper any longer.

7. XUfan

All of our ads are in the Sunday paper, no matter when the sale starts. Meijer sales run from Sun - Sat, Kroger from Wed - Tues, and Dot's (a local store) runs from Mon - Sun, but they're always in the Sunday paper, along with CVS, KMart, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Target, etc.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  8. Gardencook

I use onions and usually garlic as a base in practically everything, but peppers always seem to be so expensive around here ...

I hate that when you get someone behind you who just wants you to pay the overcharge because it inconveniences them. Of course, were the shoe on the other foot, THAT would be different!

9. Gardencook

Wow! What a bounty!

Kmart quit running ads in the paper long before they closed. When I asked for one I'd seen online in Boise they told us they didn't even have them in store any longer. :(

We've got to buy two papers a week for grocery ads -- depending on when the sale starts.

We normally get a free classified section dumped on our doorstep on Friday, which does have ads from the previous Wednesday. We used that one week when DH couldn't get the car out of the driveway to buy a paper. However, the snow was so bad last week we didn't get the freebie OR the Wednesday paper so I've had to go online.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  10. saving-n-va

saving-n-va Well-Known Member Trader Group

So the endocrinologist wants dh eating more fish, so going to have to go get some, hoping I can get some at the butcher with the groupons I have. Keeping to the menu plan so far this week. I have a 3 day weekend, considering making some freezer meals.

Lucky1307, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  11. Gardencook

Pulled out a pound of dried black beans last night and got them into the Crock-Pot.

I'll pull out a couple of cups of beans to use for dinner tomorrow night then I'll add onions, garlic, spices and a little cooking sherry to make a black bean soup -- all from ingredients we've got on hand.

Should make corn bread for the side, but I'm thinking of polenta for dinner tomorrow, so don't really want cornmeal tonight.

I might make this Squash Bread, but go with the bread machine instead of making an artisan loaf from it. I can make it entirely from pantry ingredients.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  12. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Tonight, I am by myself and I had College Inn broth with Barilla Stelline and a tuna fish sandwich on a roll. All from the pantry.
    Oh well, the quiet party is over . The girls just called for me to pick them up. :p

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  13. Gardencook

... and now you've got me craving tuna -- when I was trying to avoid meat. :oops:

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  14. XUfan

LOL!! I eat tuna at least 3 times a week, usually! And believe it or not...sometimes I crave it too!

15. Gardencook

I'm going to toss some cornmeal in the Crock-Pot after a while, since it is so easy to do that way. Think I'll make extra so we can have leftovers.

Tonight we'll have black beans, tomatoes and onions over polenta. We may top it with sour cream, shredded cheese or cilantro if we still have some in good shape -- love the stuff but it certainly doesn't keep.

I'd like to toss some sweet pepper in that mix, but don't have a pepper on hand. We'll see if DH begins to have cabin fever like he did yesterday. He really seemed to want to go to the grocery store and I couldn't think of anything for him to buy. If he's going out I'll have him pick up peppers, if not, we'll go without.

I'm like you when it comes to tuna and DH ALWAYS wanted it in his school lunches growing up.

I thought it might be a good idea to lay off any sort of meat in case of gout. However, that theory got blown to pieces overnight. I'd done so well for a couple days, had no pain yesterday and was careful not to do much of anything to make my knee flare. Thought it was behind me by bedtime.

However, after a couple days of warm 40 degree days we're going sub-zero again. Woke up after a couple hours and not only couldn't find a place to lay the knee, but I couldn't breathe either.

UGH! I've always heard about people who can predict changes in the weather this way. :confused:

16. XUfan

There was enough tuna salad left from Tuesday's dinner for a sandwich for my lunch today!! I made it with tuna (obviously), diced celery and red onions, chopped grape tomatoes, chopped bread & butter pickles, mayo, and sweet chili sauce....and a dash of Old Bay seasoning. YUM!!!

jastwins, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  17. Gardencook

I often put Old Bay in fish patties when I make them, but I hadn't ever thought about putting it in tuna salad. Sounds like it would be delicious!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  18. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

I checked my freezer downstairs and found a large Tupperware of chicken kabobs frozen from July. Since I have a 6 mos limit of what I keep in the freezer I decided to make sweet and sour chicken. I defrosted the kabobs (about a dozen) separated the chicken, veggies and pineapple and found a recipe online. I did not make their sauce but used sweet and sour sauce leftover from New Year's Eve.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sweet_and_sour_chicken/

I cooked Uncle Ben 's rice from the pantry and we will have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  19. Gardencook

You're determined to tempt me with my favorite foods, aren't you @jastwins? :p

20. Gardencook

Well, I thought we'd have planned leftovers to fill out the meal tonight, but DH liked last night's polenta a little too much. The pan of leftovers is smaller than expected, but hopefully still enough to fill out the meal.

Thought we'd have "Chick'n" Parmesan made with a box of Quorn, a jar of spaghetti sauce, some mozzarella/Parmesan cheeses and some baked or fried polenta on the side.

Not sure if we've got salad to go with that, or not.