Meals from the Pantry ... Please post yours!!

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by XUfan, Sep 25, 2015.

1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Tonight, we're having spaghetti. I think just about everyone here can put together a spaghetti dinner without going to the store, so it's not that big of a deal. But I love being able to look in the pantry and come up with dinners for the week!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Refrigerator/freezer died overnight. Have contacted park manager to get one in here today. I doubt that will happen. So, we are having deep fried eggrolls, shrimp, clams, FF, and stuffed crab. We'll save that much of the contents, at least.

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I'm thinking either spaghetti or Spanish rice for dinner tonight. I've been craving Spanish rice for a couple weeks now and always have all the ingredients on hand for it as well as spaghetti.

For some "strange reason" I'm suddenly seeing a lot of turkey bacon and luncheon meat in our future. ;)

Guess those are now considered "pantry ingredients" even though I hadn't planned quite so much of the stuff. At least they were a good price. lol!

Tomorrow we get a ten percent discount on house brand and nutrition center items at a grocery store and I've got quite a few house brand best customer coupons about to expire. They've got house brand salad and and fresh tomatoes on sale, so I'm thinking bacon lettuce and tomato sandwiches with butternut squash soup tomorrow. I got canned organic butternut squash for 25 cents a can a few months ago, so can always make from the pantry.

Should make oven sliders from the luncheon meat and cheese sometime this week. I'll probably make tomato soup from pantry ingredients for that meal.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  4. Gardencook

Sorry about the fridge, Vicki! We've had it happen ourselves, so know what a trial that is.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  5. XUfan

Sorry to hear about your fridge, Vicki!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  6. XUfan

Tonight, we're having tilapia that I dredge in seasoned flour, dip in egg whites, then roll in corn flake crumbs, then bake. I'll make rice, cooked in chicken broth, and a frozen veg...probably broccoli. This is one of my go-to meals when I can't think of anything else to cook. We always have all of the ingredients for it...and Hubby loves the crispy fish!

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  7. Gardencook

Thought I'd go with Spanish rice earlier in the day yesterday, but by the time dinner rolled around one pot spaghetti sounded easier. Beside that, I want stir-fry later in the week and we'll have rice with that.

I got some very large pouches of Filipino spaghetti sauce at a discount store while traveling several months ago. They were made by Del Monte and only 50 cents each so I took a chance. It is a bit sweet for our tastes, but we couldn't beat the price.

We had jarred Parmesan cheese on top -- which actually came from the pantry BEFORE DH decided to flood our pantry with it.

Today I think we'll go with oven turkey sliders using some of the luncheon meat DH picked up on the mega sale. Of course, that all depends on whether he remembers the whole wheat rolls I've got a best customer coupon for -- we get a 10 percent discount on store brands the first Tuesday of each month.

Actually wanted to try oven sliders last week, but the store was out of sale bread REPEATEDLY last week, so before I knew it he'd launched into the rolls I'd planned for dinner.

I picked up some parsley pesto on markdown for 29 cents a jar while traveling -- following a "Taste of Spain" promotion, so I think we'll go with a version of these Italian Pesto Sliders.

Plan to have him pick up some fresh tomatoes which are on sale for 99 cents this week. Otherwise, I'd normally go with a different type of slider. I've got a best customer coupon about to expire on fresh produce, as well.

It may be a bit of tomato over-kill, but I've got a little homemade tomato soup leftover from a couple days ago. It isn't enough for both of us. We'll probably mix it with a can of Campbell's tomato to go along with the sandwiches.

jastwins likes this.
  8. Gardencook

Got an e-mail today from a deli featuring Parmesan, Potato and Kale soup for the month of January.

I'd been thinking about potato kale soup anyway, but hadn't really thought about adding jarred Parmesan to it before. I've suddenly got quite a quantity of that among my pantry ingredients ... ;)

Tonight's dinner will use up some kale that's looking a bit sad, pantry onions and potatoes, celery and a can of evaporated milk.

We'll have bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches to go along with it -- since tomatoes were on sale and I suddenly have an abundance of turkey bacon, as well. :p

I did have DH pick up salad with best customer coupons yesterday, so we'll have one of those on the side, as well.

It's a good night for hot soup. The forecast was for double digits below zero, but forecasters changed their minds. We still aren't climbing to freezing, but single digits and above are cold enough to snow ... and snow ... and snow ...

DH shoveled two or three times yesterday, had to go out first thing this morning since he didn't feel like going out to do it in the dark last night, and he's probably going to have to go back out in another couple hours. Glad we got the shopping done yesterday!

jastwins likes this.
  9. XUfan

Gardencook...your Parmesan cheese surplus reminds me of my canned pumpkin surplus. I wish I could find recipes that would use up some of it. I love pumpkin bread, but I don't want to eat it every day. I did find a recipe for pasta sauce that uses canned pumpkin and coconut milk. Hubby did not think it sounded good at all. I might make it when he goes to the two-day training class later this month. I have everything to make it!

Gardencook likes this.
  10. Gardencook

That's what I started using my Pinterest boards for @XUfan. Didn't think I was going to like it when I started, but it has really come in handy for keeping things organized.

Since I rarely get around to actually following a recipe clear to the end, I use it mostly for inspiration, but instead of posting anything and everything, I only post healthy recipes or those that can be easily adapted and there is a HEAVY emphasis on my storage foods
    My boards keep multiplying to stay organized. I have one board for general squash/pumpkin recipes, one board for squash/pumpkin soups and yet another for desserts/breads made from squash and pumpkin.

Finally, had to break my spaghetti squash recipes into a separate board, because we LOVE spaghetti squash, but I had a hard time finding new ideas among all the other recipes and that is one squash that you can't interchange with all the others.

I've got recipes for pumpkin/squash veggie burgers, polenta, pasta, curries, pancakes, French toast, hummus, dips, breads, crackers, pies, cakes, cookies ... I honestly don't know why anyone needs recipes for more than 100 different kinds of squash/sweet potato soups, but they're each a little different and no matter what sort of mood I'm in -- I've got a recipe. LOL!

Anyone who looks at my boards probably thinks I'm crazy, but I use it for organizing rather than socializing. ;)

I'd send you links to my squash/pumpkin boards for some recipe ideas, but you said the "crawler" keeps enveloping your page when you try to look at Pinterest.

11. XUfan

I finally did sign up for Pinterest, just because I found a recipe there that I couldn't find anywhere else. I get emails almost daily from them, telling me to check out something...but I never do. I don't think I've been back to it since I signed up that day. I have no idea what you mean when you say "boards" and I didn't know it was a place people socialized! LOL!! My daughter keeps trying to explain it to me, but I'm resisting.

I type up recipes and put them in binders...yes, "old school" because that's how I like to keep them organized. I don't like going to the computer every time I need something. Our computer is a desk top...not in the kitchen. So I have to print out what I want to make anyway, so I don't have to keep running back and forth through the house to see what the next ingredient is! LOL!

12. XUfan

OK...one word...YIKES!!!

After I typed my last message, I went to google and typed in Pinterest. The page that came up had hundreds of different things! Total sensory overload for me!! It's just too much! I feel the same way when I walk into Michael's!

I would have no idea where to begin, or what to do. I'm staying away from Pinterest. It's not my cup of tea.

jastwins likes this.
  13. Gardencook

I understand what you mean about "sensory overload" when it comes to Pinterest @XUfan. That first page when you log in IS overwhelming and when you first start using it, the computer doesn't have a clue of your interests so bombards you with EVERYTHING.

If you are feeling adventurous one day, however, you might log in, ignore the front page and go to the top right corner where you'll see a symbol of the head and upper torso of a person. Believe it or not, that's you. ;)

Click on that icon and you'll get to the page where all your boards will be stored if you ever decide to create any.

There is a box on the left side of that page that says "Create Board" and when you hit the plus symbol in the middle you can create a board. From there it works pretty much like the recipe binders/boxes we all love so much.

If you hit the plus symbol in that box you can name a board something like "Pumpkin" and then every time you find a pumpkin recipe you think you might try, you can hit the "Pin" button that is generally supplied with the recipe post (the button will generally be a circle with a big "P" or a push pin). From there a box will pop up and ask you which of your boards the recipe belongs on.

Once you get used to it, it is pretty much like a recipe binder, it is just that you don't run all the ink out of the printer for recipes you may never get around to trying. :p I only print them after I've given them a try and know I want to hang onto them.

Pinterest keeps track of your interests and with time that front page that currently overwhelms you will start to show things it thinks will interest you instead of just a bunch of random chaos.

I'm like you when it comes to sensory overload, so I can't stand to have too many recipes on a single board. Once I get too many in one spot, I find a common category among the recipes and start a new board to avoid confusion. That's how I ended up with so many different squash boards. LOL!

Some people would probably alphabetize their boards, but I prefer to organize by inspiring myself to eat healthier. That means I keep my veggie boards up top and my dessert/carbohydrate boards at the bottom. :rolleyes: It works for me, but others prefer to organize differently.

Since it sounds like you've signed into Pinterest recently, it should remember you. I'll pm you links to the boards I mentioned. They should take you straight to those boards without scaring you away with the main page. Since I try to keep the size of my boards down, you'll only find a little over 100 recipes on each board instead of thousands. They might give you a few new ideas for your canned pumpkin. :)

jastwins likes this.
  14. saving-n-va

saving-n-va Well-Known Member Trader Group

I don't use Pinterest too much for recipes. I actually use a paid site for my recipes etc. It's called BigOven. However Pinterest has been known to steal a lot of my time. LOL.

Since we have "already paid for" Groupons for meat, we are stocking up on our meat right now. (they expire in a couple weeks). That meat (plus some fish) will last us hopefully until March. DH starts chemo round at the end of the week, so letting him pick what he wants to eat this week, since he won't be wanting to eat much for the week of chemo and several days after.

Meals for this week:
    Beef Stew in crockpot - and it smells SO good right now
    Pizza (delivery - for our LONG day at the VA hospital and a treat for dh before his next round of chemo)
    Lasagna (dh's request and I can hide some veggie puree in it!)
    Baked chicken, rice, veggies
    Leftovers x2 (or breakfast)

All the meat is from the freezer or paid for already, I think fresh produce, dairy and just a couple other things will be all we need for groceries this week.

So....I guess I better get busy making the red sauce for dh's lasagna tomorrow.

jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  15. Gardencook

This hasn't been the ideal week for pantry meals. The extreme Arctic blast has left me with a splitting headache and painful knee -- even though I'm walking pretty well on it now.

Night before last, my head hurt too much to cook. We just heated up canned chili from the pantry. Last night my head hurt too much and a gave up and went to bed without dinner -- or lunch for that matter.

Tonight we did a little better, although I had to sit in the living room and coach DH since my knee/head wasn't up to it.

We had a simple turkey stir-fry using celery, carrots, green onions and cilantro.

The sauce was made from pantry ingredients: chicken broth, soy sauce and cornstarch.

It was fried up in toasted sesame oil and Mongolian Fire Oil -- more pantry ingredients and it was served over brown rice -- pantry again.

jastwins likes this.
  16. XUfan

You guys are doing great!

After paying the bill for dinner last night (we met up a with a friend we haven't seen since summer), I can tell you right now that every meal this week will be from the pantry! I'm going to sit down with Hubby today to do some tentative meal-planning...for at least the next few days.

17. Gardencook

OUCH! I know how those restaurant bills go, and if you're with someone you haven't seen in ages you usually can't play the cheapskate and pull out coupons. lol!

The school cafeteria pizza I made a couple weeks ago was a success due to simplicity, so I think we might go that route again tonight. However, it makes a BIG pizza. I may break it into two smaller ones to add some variety.

We've got half a package of turkey cutlets left over from last night's stir-fry.

We'll cook the turkey up and put half on a pizza with white garlic sauce and spinach. The other pizza will be BBQ turkey with red onion.

I little bit like a night out at Pizza Hut, I guess. :p

In the process we'll use yeast, instant milk, whole wheat and unbleached flour from the pantry for the crust.

Toppings from the pantry will include BBQ sauce, a pouch of garlic sauce, red onion, frozen spinach, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.

We'll have salad on the side.

18. XUfan

Yep, that's exactly what happened! We love the guy, but he's got a very busy life, and it's hard to find a time when we can meet up with him. We were so excited to find a date and time that worked for us...and we could get a free Uber ride, allowing us both to have a couple of drinks...that I totally forgot to bring a coupon! Oh well. Live and learn!

jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  19. XUfan

Meal plan for this week:

Mon..sadly, I don't know. I'm thawing ground beef for Hubby, so it could be burgers and veggie burgers and fries.

Tues...homemade chicken salad and tuna salad on either buns or bagels (I'll have to buy either one, so I'll see which looks best at the store). We'll have chips with them. It's basketball night!

Wed...country ribs for him. Salmon for me. Betty Crocker potatoes, broccoli or green beans from the freezer.

Thurs...homemade pizza, using whatever toppings I can find in the pantry, fridge and freezer, on the super-thin crusts from Dollar Tree.

Fri...I'm not sure. But I'm thinking mushroom alfredo with salad and garlic bread, since it's grocery day.

jastwins likes this.
  20. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Christmas hambone in a pot of pintos with a green bean casserole. Everything from the freezer and pantry. I also have everything to make cornbread and if I've a mind to, I'll make it.