Meals from the Pantry ... Please post yours!!

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by XUfan, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I don't think I've ever seen your oatmeal recipe, but it sounds yummy.

It is funny you mentioned oatmeal. I've been craving it for weeks, however, with my knee acting up I couldn't stand long enough to keep an eye on the steel cut oats we prefer so have been going without.

I figured rice was the next best thing since it could go in the slow cooker and not have to be watched.

DH has been really excited about it. He keeps commenting on how good it smells and says he can't wait to give it a try.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Here's the recipe I use. I also add cinnamon to mine. I've added everything from raisins and walnuts to canned peaches, and it's always wonderful! It's also pretty easy to make just a half recipe, since I'm the only one who eats it (Hubby's not an oatmeal kind of guy). And...it reheats well if you can't eat it all the first day.

http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-oatmeal-creme-brulee-style-55325

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  3. Gardencook

Thanks for the oatmeal recipe @XUfan. :)

I'm hoping to get "Old School Rectangle Pizza" made tonight. I used to like pizza day in elementary school, so we'll see if my tastes have changed. LOL!

I'm not making it because it is a gourmet delight, but it is a bit easier than fussing with rolling out dough like a normal pizza and we've got all the pantry ingredients for the crust. I can still feel it when I stand on my knee for too long, so a batter crust sounds more realistic.

I used a large jar of spaghetti sauce last night and doctored it with V-8 and red wine so I'd have leftovers for the pizza. There are still some meatballs in the sauce, as well, so we'll slice those for meat on the pizza.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  4. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

@Gardencook, I hope your knee continues to heal. I liked @XUfan's oatmeal recipe. Here is one I used for a school breakfast we hosted back in October. It was a big hit. You make it in a slow cooker and it came out great.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218929/slow-cooker-oats/

Tonight, I decided not to make beef stew and made fajitas instead. I sliced thin a london broil and added green peppers, a jalapeno pepper and onions. I did not use the fajita seasoning but added my own spices and soy sauce. It came out great.

5. Gardencook

The oatmeal looks good @jastwins.

The knee is much better, just not ideal yet. I'm not going to take chances on the ice, however. DH says it is really bad out there!

The pizza turned out really well. Not quite the dough you roll out, but not nearly the effort either -- and a whole lot tastier than the cardboard pizza crusts you sometimes buy ready-made in the stores. I think I'll put it in a regular rotation, because it only takes five minutes to mix the batter and pop it in the pan. It's made from ingredients we've always got on hand.

I'm not sure exactly what we'll have for dinner tonight. We've still got leftover pizza from last night, but I'm thinking that might be lunch. If so, we might have leftover turkey and noodles or frozen Asian food come dinner.

I still need to get the Anadama bread tossed in the bread machine. Didn't figure we needed that along with pizza and I made no-knead bread to go with the spaghetti squash the other night. It would taste really good with the turkey and noodles, however. ;)

Sherri1480 likes this.
  6. Gardencook

Finally getting the Anadama Bread going in the bread machine! Can't remember which recipe I've used in the past, so I just picked one that looked similar. I used to make it with the dough hooks on my mixer all the time, but the proportions for that recipe are all wrong for a bread machine. However, it can be made entirely from pantry ingredients.

We'll have that with the leftover turkey and noodles which were made from mostly pantry ingredients in the first place. Just hope DH can find the right frozen blob, since he hasn't been labeling anything.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  7. XUfan

One of the desserts I chose for our Christmas feast is pumpkin bread. I found this recipe a few years ago, and we all love it! Because I buy canned pumpkin at Aldi when they start stocking it every fall, I always have everything on hand for this one:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6820/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/ I just made it, and my house smells awesome!!
    *The only change I make is that I don't put cloves in it. They make the roof of my mouth itch, so I avoid them.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  8. saving-n-va

saving-n-va Well-Known Member Trader Group

Hubby has been sick all week with his chemo so I haven't done much cooking of meals. 2 get togethers for Christmas, so I have purchased a lot of food the past couple days. Now that hubby is feeling better I guess I'll be cooking meals again.

Smoked sausage, mac & cheese and greens
    italian beef (Christmas eve gathering) fruit tray, mini baked taters, chips, sweets
    Christmas day - dd is cooking I just have appetizers to take
    chicken, rice, veggie
    soup - not sure what kind
    breakfast
    eat out - long dr appt day

9. Gardencook

Finished off the rice pudding for breakfast today.

Have started curried red lentil soup in the Crock-pot for our lunch.

Already have the onions cooking. Will add celery and garlic shortly. Red lentils, canned tomatoes and seasonings will come later.

Dinner will be frozen Tai Pei Asian Meals.

Hope to get a pan of lasagna put together today, as well. We will pop that in the oven tomorrow for an easy, no-tend meal.

That will use whole wheat lasagna noodles, onions, garlic, ground beef, spaghetti sauce, canned tomatoes, V-8, cottage or Ricotta cheese, mozzarella and a little Parmesan.

Everything from ingredients on hand/in the pantry or freezer.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  10. XUfan

Meal planning for this week (fingers crossed that it works!):

*for those who don't know...I'm allergic to meat. It's just me and Hubby at home, but I still need to make 2 proteins most nights, as he's not ready to give up the cow, pig, or chicken quite yet!

Mon: Smoked sausage and "crab" cakes (both in good supply in the freezer), Knorr or Pasta Roni noodle side, and green beans from the freezer.

Tues: Chicken and tilapia, both breaded in tortilla crumbs (made from the remains of 3 bags), and this casserole: http://ohmyveggies.com/cheesy-taco-casserole/ since I have everything on hand all the time!

Wed: Basketball night!! We have some Pillsbury pizza dough left from Christmas appetizers, and lots of things we can use for toppings, and...sauce that I made from donated tomatoes this past summer. So...it's homemade pizza!

Thurs - Sun: Not sure yet. But...It's a start!

11. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

SO making two turkey pot pies from the 'fridge.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  12. Gardencook

Tonight we're having frozen salmon fillets, baked potatoes and frozen asparagus -- all things we've got on hand.

We've also got a loaf of honey whole wheat bread going in the bread machine.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  13. saving-n-va

Well....I am so not in the mood to cook lately. Do you just get tired of making the dinner decision every night? That is where I am at. I think part of it is that they shortened our school break this year and the break is flying by too fast. And there hasn't been a "break" for me. Construction going on and it is SOOOOO noisy. I just want quiet. Anyway...enough whining.

Plans for the week:
    beans in crockpot with rice
    soup of some sort (with maybe some hidden veggies)
    Got an Omaha steak package for Christmas - something from that - maybe burgers or hot dogs.
    chicken fried rice

That is all I can do for now. LOL.

14. Gardencook

Didn't get the salmon made yesterday. Frozen pizza was a lot faster when DH got home late from errands/shopping. That means the salmon meal will be bumped to tonight.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  15. XUfan

Last night's tortilla breaded chicken and fish were awesome! The casserole was really good too! Both are keepers!

Tonight, we'll use up a Pillsbury pizza dough from the fridge, and a container of homemade pizza sauce from the freezer, and add toppings that we have on hand...sausage and pepperoni for him...onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers for me.

16. saving-n-va

XUfan - we made calzones the other night with pizza dough. Had some homemade pasta sauce in the freezer to go with it.
    Lots of beans and rice left so it will be good for lunches the next few days.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  17. XUfan

Yum! Calzones sound great!

I forgot to plan tonight's dinner ahead of time. I'm thinking about chili-spiced tilapia, rice, and broccoli. If I don't hear back from Hubby soon, that's what I'll make. And yes...I have everything on hand!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  18. Gardencook

We've still got red lentil curry soup for lunch today and I think we'll go simple with dinner tonight. Probably tuna melts with tomato soup -- all from ingredients on hand.

The tuna melts will be on English muffins made with canned tuna, fresh veggies, dill pickle relish, mayo and cheese.

The tomato soup will be from scratch -- onions and celery we've got on hand, canned tomatoes, spices from the cupboard and some fresh kale and parsley.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  19. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Uh, SO never got around to making the turkey pot pies this week, so, I tried it last night. I still had some pie shells from my holiday shopping. Used leftover turkey, veggies from the 'fridge and pantry, a kicker chicken broth called "Tuscan", and a recipe I found on the Pillsbury site. If I may say so myself, it was "pretty darned good."

20. XUfan