Meals from the Pantry ... Please post yours!!

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by XUfan, Sep 25, 2015.

1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

All of us, at some time or another, have been faced with the task of preparing a meal on a day when we had to depend on whatever was in the house. Maybe the weather is bad. Or your car is in the shop. Maybe you, or one of your kids, is sick. Maybe it's too close to payday. Maybe you forgot to get something out of the freezer in the morning. Maybe you've just got a case of "I don't want to leave the house." Or maybe (and this happens to me), you've planned to go out, but plans got changed, and now you're in a time crunch!! Luckily...most of us have a pretty good stockpile to go to!

This thread is for posting those wonderful meals! Hopefully a lot of people will post, so that other people can come here and get ideas when they're in the same situation.

*I talked to a few members before I posted this, to get their input. I also checked with cheynesnana, to make sure I could put it in Daily Living.

So...please post here and share your triumphs!! Even if you just opened a few cans and boxes. Sometimes, it's the simple things that we forget when we're in a hurry! You might remind someone that they have something in their pantry...or that they need to get it!

2. XUfan

So, I'll start.

One day last week, our plans got changed from "let's meet up with some friends" to "they can't make it". At that point, it was 6pm!!

I started looking through the freezer, and found some Hillshire Farms smoked sausage. No problem! That defrosts fast in a bowl of cool water. So I started the thawing process, and kept looking. I decided to make tuna patties for myself, since there's always tuna in the cabinet. The recipe I used, called for bread crumbs, and egg, some spices, chopped tomato and chopped onion. I had all of them!

Now, for the side dishes. I made a small (for two) green bean casserole, and some Knorr noodles.

Not the most exciting meal, but it was good! And I didn't have go out to buy anything!

I also made cookies with a pouch of Betty Crocker cookie mix that I got at Dollar Tree.

Cost:
    Sausage: $2.00
    Tuna: $1.10
    Tomato & onion: free
    Green Beans: $1.00
    Soup: .50
    French's Onions: just a few, so maybe .25
    Knorr Noodles: .75
    Cookie Mix: $.75
    Eggs: .40

Total for 2 people (with leftover sausage, beans and noodles for another meal) $6.75
    BUT...it was all here in my house!

3. cheynesnana

cheynesnana Mod Of The Month March 2009 Trader Group

I'll definitely be back here this week... this is one of those... can we make it til next payday weeks.. :giggle2:

4. phoenyxstarr

phoenyxstarr New Member Trader Group

I usually have all the ingredients for this recipe on hand at all times. About the only substitution I do, is I sub a bag of Birds Eye diced green bell peppers & onion for the fresh onion & pepper simply because I hate cutting onions! LOL Sometimes I also sub a can of tomato sauce instead of the tomato soup, but that makes it thick so I skip the cornbread & just use it to fill tortillas.

https://newleafwellness.biz/2014/10/06/crockpot-mexican-chili-cornbread-topping/

5. XUfan

My goal this week is to make all of our meals from whatever we have on hand...Monday through Thursday...since Friday is grocery day. Anyone want to join me?

6. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

I will join you! We don't start "no-spend" month until Thursday, but I think I am pretty much done shopping. Tonight we are having homemade chicken soup from the freezer. I just need to make and add rice. We also have some green beans from my parents' garden that need to be used if they are still good. I think I will cook them and add them to the soup. That and the rest of a loaf of French bread from Walmart should make a nice meal.

7. NoHio

Last night I made mini pizzas with some flatout flatbreads that I got for free with a coupon. I used spaghetti sauce and added a little olive oil and sugar. We used some mozzarella and some swiss for the cheese and didn't put any other toppings on them. Remember, pizzas can be made using a variety of bread-type items for the crust (try tortillas, english muffins, etc.). And the sauce can be any kind of tomato sauce doctored up a bit, or try alfredo for something different. Almost any kind of cheese will work as well.

8. XUfan

Great!! I love looking at other people's ideas and creations!

Tonight, I'm getting everything from the freezer! Well...mostly. We're having tilapia, green beans and fried rice. I always have several pounds of tilapia fillets in my freezer. I buy the indivually wrapped ones (Aldi, Meijer, Kroger and Walmart all sell them here), so I can take out only what I need for a meal. I'm breading it with corn flakes, which buy when they're cheap, then make crumbs with my food processor and keep them in an airtight container. The beans and fried rice are both from a shopping trip at Trader Joe's last month.

9. BudgetDriven

BudgetDriven New Member

When the pasta side dishes were Lipton brand, I liked them. Now that they are Knorr, I don't like them. They must have changed the ingredients.

10. BudgetDriven

BudgetDriven New Member

I will join you.

11. BudgetDriven

BudgetDriven New Member

I have been having something similar for one meal of each of several days lately. I made mini sauceless pizzas by adding chopped frozen vegetables that were from my garden (tomatoes, green peppers, and green onions) and sliced olives to slices of "cheesy" garlic bread. All the ingredients are things that need be to used up.

12. NoHio

The soup we were going to have wasn't quite defrosted, so we had angel hair pasta and sauce last night. We will have the soup and bread tonight.

13. XUfan

We had a couple of bags of tortilla chips leftover from our granddaughter's birthday party, a container of pre-cooked (by me) ground beef in the freezer, some leftover roasted veggies, and lots of cheese, salsa and sour cream. So tonight, it's nachos! We always have refried beans and taco seasoning in the pantry. And I'll make a pan of Mexican rice (super easy...rice, canned broth, Rotel and some spices).

14. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Sunday I made gravy with cans of sauce from the pantry and meat from my freezer. Lunch was tuna fish (Bumblebee from my pantry)

Last night was chicken cutlets from the freezer along with an Knorr's chicken rice mix and a can of Libby's corn from the freezer.

Lunch has been leftovers and snacks I have stocked in the pantry. The girls took Doritos, popcorn, triscuits, and Goldfish today. They have an away volleyball game and another has a track meet so they needed some snacks.

15. XUfan

I got some ground beef out of the freezer, and I'm going to make salisbury steaks for Hubby with it. I posted on the dinner thread that I was making hamburger gravy, but he thought the salisbury steaks sounded better. I make it with onion soup mix, mixed into the burger, then simmer it in brown gravy (packet). So it's all from the pantry. For myself, I'm making one of my favorites. I make a white sauce and add some garlic powder. Then I add sauteed onions, a couple of packs of tuna, and some thawed out frozen peas. Toss in a small handful of cheddar cheese. We have some leftover mashed potatoes that I'll warm up in the oven to go with both of our meals.

16. OneHotMomma

OneHotMomma Well-Known Member Trader Group

I like to use what I call "formula cooking." Basically, I use a handful of this and a pinch of that a lota times. I can make the same meal with different seasonings so we don't get sick of it. Also, my pantry may look a bit different than others as I almost always keep certain fresh veggies on hand because we always use the same ones over and over. I also keep homemade broth in the freezer. Here are a few of my favorite pantry meals:

Veggie Soup
    2-3 stalks celery
    2-3 carrots
    1 onion
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1 - 1/2 lbs potatoes or pasta
    2-3 C additional veg of choice (root veggies, peas, corn, cauliflower, greens -basically clean out the fridge, pantry, or freezer)
    1-2 quarts broth (any kind will do or tomato juice or a combination)
    1 bay leaf
    salt & pepper
    thyme (or other seasoning of choice)
    Dice veggies. Sauté celery, carrots, onions and other root veggies until soft. Season with seasoning, salt and pepper and grate in garlic. Add in potatoes, bay leaf and broth and cook until potatoes begin to get tender. Stir in additional soft veg and cook until soft. Stir in greens, if desired, to wilt. Serve over cornbread, with crackers, or alone.

Chicken N Noodles
    1 large can of chicken or 1-2 C leftover cooked chicken
    1 package noodles
    1-2 C frozen veggies (I like corn, peas, carrots)
    About 3 T butter or oil
    flour
    broth
    Cook pasta and heat veggies through. (I cook the pasta according to package and throw veggies into the water during the last few minutes.) Drain. Melt butter or add oil to an empty pan. Whisk in just enough flour to make a roux. Season and cook a couple minutes. Stir in enough broth to make a thick sauce. Stir in pasta, chicken, and veggies. Serve.
    Note: In this recipe you can omit the broth, flour, and oil if you'd like and use a couple cans of cream of chicken soup. Then, add in a can or two of water to thin it out a bit. Turns out the same.

Beef Over Noodles
    I like to use leftover pot roast or can of beef for this one.
    flour
    butter or oil
    beef broth
    Pasta of choice -egg noodles, penne, etc.
    About 1 T sour cream, heavy cream, yogurt
    Melt butter in oven safe dish (I use a dutch oven). Whisk in flour. Cook a couple minutes. Whisk in broth. Stir in the beef and remove from heat. Stir in the dairy. Bake 10-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven to thicken while you cook the noodles.
    Serve beef and gravy over the noodles.
    Note: I adapted this recipe. The original called for preparing a packaged gravy mix according to package. Stir in a spoon of sour cream and following remaining instructions above.

17. XUfan

Thanks for sharing the recipes! Your chicken & noodles sounds really easy. It's something that Hubby has asked for, but I didn't have a recipe. Now I do!! And, since I only cook chicken for him, there are always leftovers. This will work for us!!

Last night, we got some ground beef from the freezer, along with a salmon burger (I buy them at GFS in packages of 12, so it's something I almost always have in stock) and a bag of tater tots. He grilled burgers, and I made the tater tots. I do have to confess that I bought 4 ears of corn at Walmart for a dollar yesterday. I was in there, to check out the clearance racks, and found them putting out fresh corn. I had to buy it!! But, that's the first thing I bought all week for this week's meals!

Tonight, we're having BIL and SIL over for munchies! But only about half of what I"m serving is from my pantry. It's my night off!! I'll go back to pantry cooking tomorrow!

18. XUfan

The only thingLast night, we had pork chops (Hubby) and pre-seasoned tilapia (me). There was a mixture of cheese slices left over from Saturday, so I made a broccoli/rice casserole to go with them. Everything was from the freezer and/or pantry...and it was a good use of the extra cheese. By the way, it was wonderful...but I'll never be able to duplicate it! LOL!

19. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Last nigh I made Chili. Ground beef from the freezer, beans & spices from the pantry, onions and garlic from the fridge and petite diced tomatoes i bought this week on sale at IGA

20. XUfan

Jasmine...don't you love when you have everything on hand to make dinner...especially when it's something you really like!

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been able to get canned beans and tomatoes for 50 cents a can, and canned green beans for 33 cents a can. I am stocked for the winter, after buying 144 cans total!!