Vegetarian/Vegan Looking for low-carb vegetarian comfort food ideas to bring a neighbor mourning loss of mother.

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Thanks all!
[MENTION=87132]cpaige[/MENTION] [MENTION=207859]3timesoccermom[/MENTION] [MENTION=243853]Gardencook[/MENTION] [MENTION=3]queenofthehivemomof5[/MENTION]

Gardencook

Trader Group
Low carb AND vegetarian make it a bit of a challenge.

Roasted Chickpeas might be an option. They are certainly addictive and she wouldn’t have to heat them up to get something in her stomach when she isn’t in the mood to cook. You can put ALL sorts of seasonings on them to give them different flavors – savory or sweet. Just look in your spice cupboard!

Another Chickpea option would be hummus with vegetable sticks. It is really easy to make if you’ve got a food processor.

Quinoa tabbouleh is higher protein and lower carb than the traditional bulgur wheat versions.

I didn’t actually get this salad made for the crowd last autumn because of our car problems, but it looked really tasty: Cold & Colorful Quinoa Salad

I made Texas Caviar was a BIG hit with the group. Of course, I’m terrible at following recipes. I used a canned Simply Organic multi-bean mix from Kroger, since I couldn’t find canned black-eyed peas. It actually added a LOT more color, so I think I liked it better.
And since we were traveling, I didn’t want to buy a big bottle of Italian dressing and only use a small amount. I just used a homemade oil and lemon juice dressing using Italian seasoning.

If you’re looking for something heartier, vegetarian chili or black bean soup would be an option.

O

OneHotMomma

What about a veggie stir fry or maybe a crustless quiche? You could use any combo veggies depending on what you have on hand. I think most vegetarians do eat eggs, but I would probably check with her first to be sure.

Gardencook, that quinoa salad looks awesome! I may have to try that one.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Still brainstorming!

Just thought of another option and found a whole Pinterest Page with recipe options. If she's not vegan you might be able to find a recipe here:

Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna

I've also seen shepherd's pie using lentils in place of ground meat and cauliflower "mashed potatoes," but it would be a bit of work and I don't have a proven recipe.

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
I ended up making a recipe I had modified over the winter for Roasted Sweet Pepper Quinoa Enchilada Soup (with pinto and black beans). I used no-chicken broth to cook the quinoa and in the soup. The original recipe called it a freezer meal, so I figured she could freeze leftovers if she wanted. It still has carbs, but they are healthy ones. Plus, in my humble opinion, carbs are comforting. She was excited to get it since she drove in from 8 hours away and didn't want to cook. She even remembered that I had made this soup and shared with her over the winter, so she was looking forward to eating it.

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
[MENTION=243853]Gardencook[/MENTION] - Now I am craving zucchini lasagna! My squash plants in the garden were so slow to start that I actually just picked one from each of my two plants on Tuesday. My yellow squash is not crook-neck like I thought, but actually the yellow version of zucchini. If I get more squash, I will certainly make a lasagna of sorts.

I've saved that pretty colorful quinoa salad, but have to share the one I used that was ahhh-mazing (and looks visually similar to the one you shared): Asian Quinoa Salad | Quinoa Salad Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

Gardencook

Trader Group
@Gardencook - Now I am craving zucchini lasagna! My squash plants in the garden were so slow to start that I actually just picked one from each of my two plants on Tuesday. My yellow squash is not crook-neck like I thought, but actually the yellow version of zucchini. If I get more squash, I will certainly make a lasagna of sorts.

I've saved that pretty colorful quinoa salad, but have to share the one I used that was ahhh-mazing (and looks visually similar to the one you shared): Asian Quinoa Salad | Quinoa Salad Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

I've actually had that recipe tucked away for a while now -- hoping to get around to it someday...

It does look delicious! :encourage19:

I don't have any zucchini this year -- but I LOVE those yellow zucchini. They are so much more tender than the crookneck ones.
We had to choose between seeing our families and a garden this year. Guess it was the right choice, because it is so hard to find another time of the year to make it over the mountains. However, DH's mother couldn't be roused out of sleep the days we were there and my mother got sick the day we arrived and didn't want to chance us catching it... :hectic:

But if we had gone later, it would have been difficult to get someone to water a garden if I'd planted one. :dontknow1:

Can't even get to the farmers market this year. We've had torrential flooding with lightning the past two Wednesdays when they've had one.

C

cpaige

Take a ripe avocado and a can of chickpeas (drain them).
Mash up chickpeas
Add avocado to it and mash together
Season with S&P, onion powder, touch of celery salt, garlic powder

Use as a dip for veggies or you can get low calorie pita bread - toast it and use it to dip OR make a sandwich adding lettuce, tomato, cucumbers etc.

I eat this in place of a tuna sandwich. YUM!

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Take a ripe avocado and a can of chickpeas (drain them).
Mash up chickpeas
Add avocado to it and mash together
Season with S&P, onion powder, touch of celery salt, garlic powder

Use as a dip for veggies or you can get low calorie pita bread - toast it and use it to dip OR make a sandwich adding lettuce, tomato, cucumbers etc.

I eat this in place of a tuna sandwich. YUM!
Just saw this. I make it, too! I season with a touch of cumin and lemon juice. Ab fab! [MENTION=87132]cpaige[/MENTION]!