Looking for HEALTHY Substitutes for EGGS and BUTTER

B

BARGINSHOPS

I bought a bunch of those betty Crocker cookie mixes but they take an entire stick of butter! Ish, can you help me find some healthy subs? I know you can use apple sauce but how much AS= how much Butter?

And are there any healthy subs for the eggs?

I've tried googling this but keep coming up with nothig or else books that you have to pay for, not stuff easily read online.

Please help! Thanks!:smile:

C

Cynthiabutterfly

FYI, if you substitute the butter for applesauce, your cookies are going to be 'cakey'. I know I saw something last year that I tried, but I don't remember what it was, and it didn't turn out well. Everything turned the cookies into dry little muffins.

C

Cynthiabutterfly

um, eggbeaters? like liquid egg substitute? Or you could use 2 eggwhites for every egg called for.

C

Cynthiabutterfly

I found this:

Hungry Girl - Thursday Newsletter

So using the concept of this recipe, you could probably substitute some pumpkin in 'strong' flavored cookies such as chocolate or gingerbread. If you were doing the sugar cookies, try some applesauce.

Maybe the trick would be to leave out some of the water from the recipe, use applesauce or pumpkin, some eggwhites instead of whole eggs, then roll out the dough pretty thin to make the cookies less 'muffin-like'. Now that I remember, the cookies I made were always the 'drop' kind.

* I love cooking, and cooking healthy is my passion. I am always looking for ways to make stuff healthier without resorting to eating cardboard and dandelions.

P

pyxiedust

You can use 2 Tbsp of flaxseed meal for one egg. (in a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp of flaxseed meal with 4 Tbsp of water - do not stir! Just let it soak for a few minutes) I do this frequently.

I have no idea on how to replace butter. Sorry.

M

mommyto3angels

I suggest you to buy the book Good fat bad fat by Fran McCULLOUGH it will open your eyes about the lies mass marketing is telling the population.
Just some sentences from the book;In fact historically, when butter consumption is down, the incidence of coronary heart disease and cancer is up-just the opposite of what you might think.
Butter contains aside from 12 % lauric acid, the immune-protective element in mothers milk, it is full of some very good things-and it's only 80% fat. Vitamins'A,D,E,K, Copper, Zinc, Chromium, Selenium,Iodine, Lecithin, CLA, Olic acid, Glycosphinlgolipids, Methyl butyrate (liver clenser that promotes leanness and muscularity in cows-as it does in humans)
Myristoleic acid (an anti-arthritic compound: destroyed by heat).
Butter also contains short-chain fatty acids, which don't store easily as body fat.
Eggs are the the most nutritious single food in the store. The cholesterol scare was not based on eggs themselves, but on powdered eggs (which were of course oxidized)and on crystalline cholesterol at huge intakes (1,500 to over 4,000 mg a day), way beyond what a human would eat in a day.Those were not food studies, but pharmacological ones. There a zero studies showing the link between actual eggs and heart disease. The healthiest people in the world Japanese, eat 340 eggs per person a year. Even the American Heart Association has backed down on eggs, though they have not exactly trumpeted the news.

The book talks about the brands and tells you what to eat and what to avoid.When my DH was diagnosed whit Chrons, I did tons of research and it made me so mad at the lies you are being told.

So, my advice: use the real stuff, what God created not what man came up with in the lab. and you will be healthier, plus it will taste sooo much better. :smile:

Z

zydeco

I bought a bunch of those betty Crocker cookie mixes but they take an entire stick of butter! Ish, can you help me find some healthy subs? I know you can use apple sauce but how much AS= how much Butter?

Please help! Thanks!:smile:

I can't see how you can completely substitute apple sauce for butter. I can see using less tho'.
Have you tried using Smart Squeeze rather than butter. It is interchangeable with butter.

M

MoneySavinDiva

I often replace butter with either applesauce or plain yogurt. I've never really noticed a difference in my baking. As a pp mentioned you could always use pumpkin in some recipes...I made chocolate cupcakes the other day using pumpkin instead of butter and I can't even tell! I also have a roll recipe that uses pumpkin instead of butter and you can't even tell the pumpkin is in that either!

As for the egg, I've only had to substitute for that in a pinch and I have used 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch and that seemed to work really well, I couldn't even tell! I have also head that a banana will work in place of an egg in cakes too. I know one person who never uses eggs at all when baking cakes and she says you can't even tell the difference. I've never personally tried that route though.

Good luck!

M

MoneySavinDiva

You can use 2 Tbsp of flaxseed meal for one egg. (in a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp of flaxseed meal with 4 Tbsp of water - do not stir! Just let it soak for a few minutes) I do this frequently.

I have no idea on how to replace butter. Sorry.

Thanks for this! I have tons of flax seed in my cupboard and never really knew what to do with it, I think I will start using it to replace eggs! I tried to rep you but I must spread the love...