3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
3 tbls. flour
1-1/2 lbs, beef stew meat, cut into 1 in cubes
3 tbls veg oil
1 can (14-1/2oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 c beef broth
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp ea, salt, pepper, dried thyme & browning sauce

Layer potatoes, carrots, onion & celery in 5 qt slow cooker, place four in bag & toss stew meat to cover evenly. In lg skillet brown meat in oil in batches, place over vegetables.
In lrg bowl combine tomatoes, broth, mustart, salt, pepper thyme & nrowning sauce. Pour over beef. Cover & cook on high 1-11/2 hrs. Reduce heat to low, cook additional 7-8 hrs or until meat & vegetables are tender.

8 servings.

This is a little time consuming to put together once you cut everything & brown the meat, what I do is cut all veggies, store in a bowl of water, brown meat..store in fridge & have liquid mixture ready to go in fridge. In the morning, it's 5 minutes of tossing together & it's ready to go. As for cooking time, you can play with it. I give this one 5 stars for taste!

L

Links2me

Easy version

Package stew meat
Can of cream of mushroom soup
whatever veggies you have in the fridge

I usually plan on having at least potatoes, carrots, garlic and onion, but will add whatever is in the fridge. I'll also sometimes add a can of green beans and corn.

I have a small crock pot, you may want to double up if yours is larger or you have a larger family.

G

Ggbwg

Here's mine:
1 Beef roast of any kind
potatoes peeled and placed around the roast
1 onion wedged and placed around meat
1 bag of baby carrots or regular carrots to cover top of roast
1 mc cormicks roast seasoning
Fill w/ water just enough to cover potatoes and meat
Cook on high for 3-4 hrs then low for 3hrs or longer until done
In the last hour of cooking add 1 can of green beans and 1 can of stewed tomatoes

Last edited by a moderator:

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
Here's mine:
1 Beef roast of any kind
potatoes peeled and placed around the roast
1 onion wedged and placed around meat
1 bag of baby carrots or regular carrots to cover top of roast
1 mc cormicks roast seasoning
Fill w/ water just enough to cover potatoes and meat
Cook on high for 3-4 hrs then low for 3hrs or longer until done
In the last hour of cooking add 1 can of green beans and 1 can of stewed tomatoes

I made beef stew in the crockpot for my husband about a month ago, and I used the McCormick's packet too. The only difference between mine and yours, is that he doesn't like tomatoes in his, and I didn't think of putting green beans in it. I did add an 8oz package of sliced mushrooms, though...and he liked that!! I didn't eat any myself (allergy) but everyone else loved it!

C

chitownmelli

I've used that taste of home recipe that meems posted, it was fantastic!

1daygourmet

1 lb. stew beef cubes
4-6 carrots, cut up
2 onions cut in large wedges
4-6 potatoes, cut in cubes
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c. red wine
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. soy sauce

Brown stew beef cubes (you can coat in flour). After browned, put in crock pot. De-glaze pan with 1/2 cup red wine and pour into crock pot with beef cubes. Add cut up carrots, onions, garlic and potatoes along with Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. Cook on high for 3-4 hours in crock pot. Add water as necessary (salt and pepper to taste).

G

Ggbwg

I made beef stew in the crockpot for my husband about a month ago, and I used the McCormick's packet too. The only difference between mine and yours, is that he doesn't like tomatoes in his, and I didn't think of putting green beans in it. I did add an 8oz package of sliced mushrooms, though...and he liked that!! I didn't eat any myself (allergy) but everyone else loved it!

I try to put as many veggies as i can in, lol more filler and less pricey for the meat. Sometimes i use the rice if we have leftovers even more filler.

M

MrsPinecone

I use:

stew meat
carrots
potatoes
onions
1 can beef broth

and then just wing it from there. If I have peas or green beans in the freezer, I'll add those. Mushrooms, whatever. Maybe some thyme.

Then at the end I add an envelope of McCormick mushroom gravy mixed with a little water. Thickens things up well.

L

lmcconne

stew meat
potatoes, cut in cubes
carrots, cut in not huge pieces
peas
green beans
a few onion pieces
can of condensed tomato soup
1 can measure of water

Vegetables can be fresh, frozen or canned. Stir just a tad to distribute the ingredients at the beginning and cook all day.

Like Ggbwg, I try to go heavy on the veggies, probably 1/4 meat and 3/4 vegetables.

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
This is my absolute favorite recipe:

A Fabulous Beef Stew

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 pounds stew beef, lean, cut in 1-inch cubes
  • 1 packet Lipton beefy onion soup mix or just regular onion soup mix if you can't find Beefy
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules or base
  • 3 to 4 medium potatoes, cubed (peeled if you prefer)
  • 3 to 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 stalk celery (sliced)
  • 1 large can whole tomatoes, with juice
  • 1 clove crushed garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with about 1/4 cup cold water
Preparation:

Put all ingredients in a slow cooker on low heat for 8 to 10 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with water. Turn heat to high and stir until thickened.

I

isis

I've been making my crockpot beef stew like this:

1 to 1 & 1/2 lbs stew meat, cut in small cubes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
1 packet Beef Stew Seasoning Mix
1 bag baby carrots
4-6 potatoes, peeled & quartered
optional, small cans of corn & green beans

This is not necessary, but I like to coat the meat in flour and brown it quickly in olive oil, before adding to crockpot. I always put the carrots and potatoes on the bottom, then add the meat. Mix the stew seasoning with the tomato sauce and about 1/2 C Water. Pour over meat & veggies. Cook on low 8-10 hrs. Towards the last 1 hr of cooking time, I add a container of fresh button mushrooms (canned works well too)
If it comes out too thin, I add cornstarch (per directions on the box) to thicken.
I serve over rice or egg noodles.