Looking for a recipe for bars using raisins, chocolate chips, and oatmeal.

N

nerdy

A friend used to make these bars with raisins, chocolate chips, oatmeal and probably other ingredients. You could barely taste the oatmeal. I have a feeling this recipe may have been on oatmeal cans in the past. The bars were quite dark in color so maybe molasses was also in the recipe. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

A

Andra

Quaker has several bar recipes on their website. I don't see any that sound exactly like what you are describing, but many with oatmeal and raisins that you could add chocolate chips to:Recipe Search Results | QuakerOats.com

Okay, weird. The link is not working. It says 0 results, but I searched bars and bunch of recipes came up. Just change the parameters to "bars" and search for them only and you should see some recipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FrankRyan

Hi there! Can you describe the texture? Were they chewy or crunchy? Do you know the other ingredients in the bars? There are a ton of oatmeal raisin bars out there. Molasses as an ingredient is usually a southern-style ingredient.

When we make granola bars with oats, we never taste the oats. If you are looking to hide the oat taste, that's very easy. Every time we make them the recipe is different. Good luck!

F

fperkins

Here is a recipe I have used for years for chewy granola bars. My family LOVES them! I have made with raisins or choc. chips, or both, depending on my mood. You could probably use molasses instead of the honey. Dark brown sugar would also make them darker. Enjoy!

Chewy Granola Bars

1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
2 T. honey
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 egg
1 c. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 1/4 c. quick cooking oats
1 c. chopped nuts
1 c. raisins or chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add honey, vanilla and egg; mix well. Combine dry ingred; add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, and nuts. Add raisins or chocolate chips if desired. Press into a greased 13x9 inch pan.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until top is slightly browned. Cut into bars. Yield 2 dozen.

N

nerdy

The bars were chewy, more chewy than a granola bar. The oatmeal was "hidden" so you didn't really taste it. The chocolate and raisin taste stood out more to me. The bars were probably about an inch thick. I don't remember the bars having nuts.

FrankRyan--if you could post your version of the recipe, that would be great.