London Broil-help me like it!

W

~~WhoMe?~~

Or more importantly, give me a way to cook it so dh likes it.

London Broil is always on a good sale, always one of the cheapest cuts of beef. I've tried it several ways and it's always tough. DH hates it. I just can't bring myself to repeatedly purchase tenderloin at $15+ a pound!

K

kelkelgil

I love it marinated and then grilled rare to med-rare. The trick is slicing it in thin slices against the grain. My hubby likes to put it on his salads.

G

gem7

I make it for my hubby, and it is his fav. meal. The only problem is that it takes a good 3 hours to cook, but so worth it.

Salt and pepper the meat. Dip the meat in flour, more is better. Saute in olive oil with onions until brown on both sides. Cover with water, or as high as your pan will allow. I use a deep frying pan. Cover and cook on low-medium to medium for 3 hours, turning occasionally and adding water if needed. Towards the end of the 3 hours, the water turns into a gravy, so don't add too much water in the end. The meat will fall apart when it's done. You can serve with the gravy in the pan or with fresh horseradash. If you need to thicken the gravy, add a little bit of flour after you take your meat out and stir, stir, stir.

I also will add carrots, potatoes, and any other vegetable I want into the mixture about the last 30-45 minutes of cooking. That's optional.

P

philekallista

Braising it like Gem suggests is the way to go. This is usually top round roast (ask the butcher to be sure), so you can also look for recipes using that title.

L

loaslaen

I've sliced it very thin while raw and cooked it in a pan on the stove, like a stir fry, cooking it just until it's not red anymore. You could eat it with noodles or gravy or in a tortilla with cheese.

tacatcon

Mod Of The Month April 2009
Trader Group
I think you really have to marinade it all day to help with the toughness. I use store bought like Ken's or I make a balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil marinade and we slice it in half (through the width) and grill it.

We always have good luck with it.

CW&M Mom

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶Dugalina٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ ᙢᘎG!
Trader Group
whenever I have a problem with tough meat...I beat the heck out of it with a fork...add a bunch of seasoning, BBQ sauce or marinade and throw it in the crockpot for a few hours (5-9) to get it to behave itself. I usually add an onion in as well.

sbp

Mod Of The Month Aug. 2007
Trader Group
crockpotting it is the only way that I've ever been able to cook a London Broil and have it be untough.

I actually buy a London Broil steak and cut it up for beef stew instead of paying more for precut stew meat. (Again I use the crockpot and crock pot the tough out of it!)

J

jonjaktez

Just a bit of a lesson.

London Broil is not a cut of meat. It's a way of preparing the meat eventho most butchers will lable the meat as London Broil. The meat is usually a flank steak but top round can also be used which is why it's usually cheap.

When i buy the meat, it usually comes with a London Broil recipe and it's very good.

A

AJS6726

I agree with the crock pot method. I toss it in before I leave for work and let it cook on low all day. I either do a quick mashed potato and gravy meal with it or I will pull it apart with a fork and add bbq sauce.

R

Rayny

First off, IMO, you MUST purchase Angus meat. If it's just USDA Choice, or grade A,etc.. it will tend to be tougher than Angus. That's true with any cut you buy in the supermarket, IMO. The top cuts are mostly reserved for restaurants, and they are truly 2nd to none.

What I do is, I cut the London Broil down into strips, rather than trying to cook it as a roast. I use chuck for roast because while it's not as good a cut of meat, it truly has the best flavor. If you cook a chuck in a pressure cooker, you won't believe how tender it is.

For the London Boil however, once you have it cut into strips, marinade it with 2 teaspoons of McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 1/4 cup of olive oil PER POUND. Cook it up on the grill after marinading it for a few hours. Pan frying just doesn't work. Broiling might be an option for those who don't like grilling, or in the winter if you're not a year round griller (I am).

Never try the above recipe with previously frozen meat. I don't know why, but it's just not good. Also, don't marinade overnight. It becomes too much.

When cooking on a grill, ALWAYS get the grill as hot as possible and NEVER under any circumstance, flip meat by piercing it with a fork. You'll lose all your juices that way. Cut in strips, they will cook fairly quickly, so be prepared to flip them and get them off as needed.

And while most meat just doesn't hold up well to being reheated, these strips are even better the next day, so make a lot of extra. Put it in salads too, if you like. Also, grill some peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.. alongside of them, or make kabobs. I have a feeling it might turn out to be one of hubby's favorite dishes.

A

actvmom

I slice it thin and saute it in olive oil. Then I add sliced onions & bell pepper and cook until they are tender. Then, add soy sauce to taste and serve over white rice. It is Never tough, but you have to slice it thin.

Good luck!!!