Lemon Curd --- Mmmmm!

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Due to buying extra eggs, I just made a quadruple batch of Lemon Curd and thought you might enjoy the recipe, too.

Lemon Curd (from 1,000 Lowfat Recipes by Terry Blonder Golson)

• 2 Egg Yolks
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced lemon zest
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Put the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl.
  2. Combine the lemon zest, sugar and cornstarch in a heavy-bottomed small saucepan. Add the water and lemon juice and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Put the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 minte. The liquid should be bubbling, but not at a rolling boil.
  3. Slowly whisk about a quarter of the liquid into the egg yolks, then return it all to the pot. This prevents the eggs from curdling. White strands in the curd are from egg whites not properly separted out. These can be discarded. Simmer the curd, stirring constantly, until thickened. This will take less than 3 minutes.
  4. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour into a bowl, cover, and chill.
Lemon curd can be eaten alone as a pudding, or used as a base for other recipes, such as Lemon Meringue Pie or lemon tarts.

Enjoy!

P

purplefdu

I can never get curd to turn out right, which stinks as I am a good cook and addicted to the stuff. It either ends up undercooks and set weird or overcooked and a bit eggy tasting.