Lacto-fermentation: Pickles, Sauerkraut, etc

M

MrsPinecone

One of the "everything old is new again" trends in preserving is lacto-fermentation. Lactic acid fermentation produces many foods, including yogurt, sauerkraut and kimchi.

I found a great "Top Ten Questions" list about lacto-fermentation here: Lacto-fermentation: Ten Biggest Questions Answered ? Cooking God's Way

Today I started a couple of jars of pickles using this method. My friend's turned out so well that she wanted to teach me. We used this recipe: Delish: Crisper than a Klausen's! Crisp Refreshing Homemade Fermented Kosher Dill "Half Sour" Pickles

002.JPG

Do you make anything using fermentation rather than a vinegar-based pickling method?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cpaige

I have a TON of cucumbers in my garden right now....this is perfect!

M

MrsPinecone

Started 4 more jars of pickles today. Can you believe that a local farm market had pickling cucumbers at this time of year?

002.JPG

M

MrsPinecone

Uh-oh. The fermented pickles may have ruined me for my older, vinegar method ones. I had one today and it seemed gross and mushy compared to the crispness of the lacto-fermented. I am giving serious thought to tossing the vinegar pickles.

M

MrsPinecone

Easy kimchi recipe - Maangchi.com

Used this recipe, cut in half. One 5 lb head of napa cabbage = 2 half-gallon jars of kimchi. I used a few anchovies instead of the fermented squid, about 1 1/2 cups each julienned carrot and daikon and no leeks (because I did not have any!). I had some of the fresh kimchi on rice for lunch and it's sooooo good.

B

brokenangel

I used to make Kombucha Tea, fell out of habit. Still have the starter in my cupboard actually.

M

MrsPinecone

A friend clued me in to this kit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017AC2T4U/ref=psdc_2237241011_t1_B01726CJ9Y</span>

Since I am too cheap to spend that kind of money, I found these instead:

Glass vase fillers instead of the Pickle Pebbles: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D4W6S?psc=1&amp;redirect=true&amp;ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00</span>

Silicone waterless airlocks instead of the Pickle Pipes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321988761319?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&amp;ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT</span>

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardencook

Trader Group
As a child, I remember my Mom down in the basement with her big pickle crock making sauerkraut. She had plates on top to weight the kraut and it looked like so much work, I think that is why it took me years to get up the courage to make it. (Of course, the fact that I COULDN'T stand sauerkraut as a child probably played a big part, as well. :giggle2:)

Anyway, I was surprised at how easy it was when I started making mason jar kraut a few years ago. I need to get back to it, but life keeps getting in the way...

M

MrsPinecone

And of course I found the glass thingies even cheaper here: Jumbo Glass Gems - Clear (60 mm, 1 lb.) - Glass Gems - Extra Large - Glass Gems - Decorative Craft

Even with shipping, they're under $10 as opposed to the $12something I paid from Amazon. I got them today and they are perfect for the job.

I have just under 2.5 lbs of cabbage in a one quart jar. It now has two of the glass weights keeping the brine nice and high. The silicone air locks should be here Saturday, so that will go on for the remaining 2 weeks of fermenting.