Keep your guacamole from turning yucky

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Can't take credit for the idea - think I saw it in Cook's Country or Cook's Illustrated - but after you've made your guacamole, smooth it out in the bowl then pour a little water over the top. This prevents air from reaching the surface and turning it gunky green but it does not make the guacamole soggy. When ready to enjoy, just pour off the water, stir your still fresh-looking guacamole and dig in!

bugweena

Trader Group
I've also seen where they recommend to cover with a layer of oil. But water seems like it would be healthier and easier to pour off when you are ready to eat.

C

clippyclippy

Love this tip! I would think it would work for a half an avocado too - leave the seed in and turn upside down in water to cover the exposed part?

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Maybe - don't see why not, but who has half an avocado around??? :giggle2: I guess people with more discipline than us! :encourage19:

Love this tip! I would think it would work for a half an avocado too - leave the seed in and turn upside down in water to cover the exposed part?

C

clippyclippy

Maybe - don't see why not, but who has half an avocado around??? :giggle2: I guess people with more discipline than us! :encourage19:
Ummm.... me? :biggrin:
Because i don't eat a whole one at once and then no one wants to eat the browned half. It does help to leave the seed in, but I think the water trick will make it look fresher.