June trip to Orlando

Discussion in 'Vacation Deals' started by Sherri1480, Jan 24, 2017.

Moderators: neabo2458
  1. Sherri1480

Sherri1480 Active Member Trader Group

Looking for any tips for a week long trip to Orlando. We will be there for a volleyball tournament but we will have a few free days to do what we want to do. We are thinking about going to Animal Kingdom for a day but I really haven't done any research on it. Due to a back problem I cannot walk really far distances without stopping every so often. We have been to Seaworld and loved it so we will probably go there for one day. I am open to suggestions though. Of course I will welcome any frugal tips you may have. Thanks so much!!!!

2. joshmamabear

joshmamabear Member Of The Month Nov. 2011 Trader Group

hey! your trip is nearing. Don't miss RainForest Cafe when you go to AK. It's by the entrance to AK and it's free to enter. If you decide to dine in, order a Volcano just for kicks. Be warned though that it's a desert meant for at least 4 people! I don't have any frugal tips because I've been saving up hotel pts and miles for vacations like this. If you AAA or AARP membership, you can call and they usually have discount tickets for members.

Have fun on your trip and take care!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  3. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

I'm afraid I have no frugal tips for such a trip. I believe there is a sign at the city limits that says, "All ye who enter, leave your frugality behind!" Also, Florida is LOND (land of no doubles).

I have been to Orlando once since Disneyworld was built. Yes, children, once upon a time Orlando was just a regular city where people lived and worked. I was working a domestic investigation when the woman I'm watching loads up her car and two teenagers one night and heads out. I'm on it, Jack! She picks up her boyfriend, and off they whiz 600 miles to Disney. That little trip cost her a bundle in child custody and alimony. I would like to say a fun time was had by all, but, perhaps she would disagree.

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  4. frugalfamilymom

frugalfamilymom Active Member Trader Group

I don't know if this will help, but I will add my two cents. The last time I was in Florida, I paid what I thought was big bucks to go to Sea World. My mom, who lived in Florida suggested Homosassa State Park. It was something like $10 to get in. You take either a boat or a tram out to where the animals are. They have manitees as well as all sorts of creatures, most are water and birds but they have a hippo who is the only one in Florida. For the money, I think it is great. It isn't in Orlando, but as I remember, it wasn't very far. You should at least check.

Also, I had double knee surgery in 2015. Before my surgery, I couldn't walk and found most of these places with walking will arrange a wheel chair for you. I didn't like the idea at first, but it was free and it made the trip more enjoyable for my entire family. Later, I bought a transport wheel chair to go through parks. I don't need it anymore but it worked out well for me. I only wish I got it second hand because now I have it and don't use it.

As any couponer knows, there are always ways to be frugal, even in Orlando. I would check Groupon for deals.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  5. Sherri1480

Sherri1480 Active Member Trader Group

Thank you everyone for your ideas!

Moderators: neabo2458