Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Cathy

Happy Birthday Cathy!!
I'm tired of eating at home, I really want to go to a restaurant but it seems that it getting iffy again with all the increase in Covid cases. How are you all handling this? I hate to see so many restaurants closing down because of lack of customers.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Tonight we had homemade broccoli cheese soup. Got a nice markdown on a bag the other day.

I'm tired of eating at home, I really want to go to a restaurant but it seems that it getting iffy again with all the increase in Covid cases. How are you all handling this? I hate to see so many restaurants closing down because of lack of customers.
We've already lost quite a few restaurants here so can understand where you are coming from.

We aren't really big "eat-out" people and it seems having all the dining rooms got us almost completely out of the habit of eating out.

We aren't that afraid of it when we do, however, we just try to take general precautions like we always have.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Well, we tried eating out tonight and it was pretty disappointing. We wanted to get a nice healthy meal so went to Panera.

We both ordered a Pick-Two with a Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich and a Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad. DH said he wanted the "same." I said we both wanted whole grain bread and we both wanted our salad dressing on the side. Instead I got what ordered, DH got non-whole grain bread and a salad drenched in dressing. I didn't notice the dressing problem until he'd taken the sandwich back.

They did give us another sandwich on whole grain, but it took quite a while for the new sandwich and he was hungry so he ate what they sent. We explained to the gal who brought the sandwich that after he'd spoken to her we noticed the dressing problem. She told the manager, so she did bring us coupons for complimentary Pick-Two meals and beverages on our next visit.

I guess at least they got the apple we ordered as the side right. Came home and tried to do the calculations. We were trying to avoid too much salt and fat, but DH got PLENTY -- more than 1,000 mg of sodium and probably at least 35 grams of fat. UGH! Guess that's why we don't enjoy eating out much.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Last night Crankie brought out Chinese. Mine was chicken and broccoli in garlic sauce and he had fried rice and chicken with string beans.

Tonight we had hamburgers, hotdogs, corn on the cob and baked beans.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Tonight we had a pesto made of carrot tops, beet greens and basil from our pots out front. Temperatures are cooling and the basil doesn't like it very much. They are still trying to bloom, but aren't branching and becoming more robust with each cutting. They don't have much time left and I'll be sad when I don't have them any longer, but the carrot and beet tops were delicious and helped stretch the remaining basil.

We roasted a big spaghetti squash and served the basil over the top of it. We've still got enough in that roasted squash for another meal and some pesto left, as well.

On the side we had a Caesar salad. I forgot until we got the kit out that the markdown I got was a Mexican Caesar instead of traditional Italian. However, it was still really good with the squash.

bugweena

Trader Group
Last night we had shrimp from Food Lion that was on sale that I paired with a seafood wine tag I found. We had it on the grill with a simple marinade. Served with baked potato and frozen veggies.

Tonight will be leftovers. Burgers likely.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Lemon Rosemary Chicken, Angel Hair Pasta and Sautéed Vegetables with a Caesar Salad and Dipping Oil with Fresh Bread.

We had a B1G1 coupon for Carino's and really enjoyed the meal!

Gardencook

Trader Group
Tonight we had black bean burgers on whole wheat buns with fresh tomato, onion and broccoli/clover sprouts, oven fries made from red and white fingerling potatoes, carrot and celery sticks.

jastwins

Trader Group
Crankie went on fishing trip today and they caught nothing they could keep! He stopped off and pick up Chinese. Both of us had General Tso’s chicken and an egg roll.

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
We made a big pot of Mexican cabbage soup with quinoa and beans. Made garlic bread from an artisan ancient grains baguette we got on markdown out of town the other day.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We made hummus from scratch to use on vegetable sandwiches so today we had leftover soup from last night's dinner with vegetable sandwiches on organic whole grain seeded bread with hummus, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, broccoli/clover sprouts and feta cheese. They were delicious.

jastwins

Trader Group
Tonight’s dinner will be my own gravy with pork and sausage over rotini pasta. I used what was in the freezer and my box of pasta was the last one I had. I need to plan a future shopping trip and stock up on pasta.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Tonight we made personal pizzas from whole grain naan bread, a sauce made of roasted beets, onions and garlic, spinach and a little feta cheese.

We still had leftover vegetable soup to go along with it.

Yogurt for dessert.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Roasted a bunch of veggies including cauliflower, carrots, peppers, celery and onions. Served those with baked salmon and corn on the cob.

Cantaloupe for dessert

Gardencook

Trader Group
Kind of a mixed up day meal wise today, but still some really good meals.

We had homemade cauliflower curry soup with veggie, beet hummus and feta sandwiches on seeded bread.

Because of that, we really weren't hungry at dinner time.

We did pick up a good deal on a beet, roasted butternut squash and goat cheese frozen pizza. They are very small, but one made a nice late night snack with a fruit smoothie tonight.