Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Gardencook

Trader Group
Bruschetta Chicken Burgers with Onion, Tomato and Cheese on Whole Wheat Buns
Tater Tots
Caesar Coleslaw
Blueberries and Peaches over Angel Food Cake

Gardencook

Trader Group
Beef Smoked Sausage with onions, potatoes and turnip greens
Garlic Bread

Didn't get the blueberry peach sauce made for the angel food cake last night, so we settled for yogurt for dessert.
The angel food cake and fruit is supposed to be our dessert tonight.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Dinner kept evolving as the night went on ...

Since I got my computer back, I thought we'd treat ourselves to a Carl's Jr. B1G1 chicken sandwich. I got the coupon a couple days ago, but when Microsoft did all those updates last weekend it not only messed up my computer it messed up DH's ability to print as well. He had finally gotten the printer working wirelessly again, then after the updates the printer went wild and kept trying to print everything about 50 times -- even after he shut the thing off. I bet we've wasted a quarter of a ream of printer paper trying to get that working the past several days!

He tried to get the mess straightened out, but it finally told him he MUST use USB -- which he can't do since the Microsoft updates before that seemed to break his USB ports and the technicians didn't think they were worth fixing. So now he can't print ANYTHING from his computer until a "miracle" happens, although we don't know what exactly to pray for ...

My computer was still printing when we took it into the shop Monday, so I tried to print out as much as I thought I might need while it was gone. However, the Carl's Jr. coupon arrived immediately AFTER we returned from dropping off my computer.

The coupon expires tomorrow, so I thought I'd print it with the computer that is supposedly fixed now. However, after getting the computer back from the shop, my computer is no longer on speaking terms with our printer either. DH has been fussing with it for more than four hours now, but the USB cord, installation disk and troubleshooters can't get the thing running.

Now neither of us has a computer that prints -- but at least the computer hasn't been shutting down all night. I guess I could consider a computer that doesn't shut down but also won't print "progress" over a computer that shuts down, but had NO problem printing before?

At one point DH did get my computer to print, but it started running multiple copies of the test sheets just like his was doing before. Then after he stopped it the computer now says the printer is connected to our network and our computers are also connected to our network, but they still can't connect.

So as our plans for Carl's Jr. quickly faded, I switched to beet burgers with some nice sides. However, several hours later we decided on hot dogs with oven fries. We were just to tired to care at that point.

The hot dogs were some tasty grass fed beef ones we got a good rebate stacked with the last mega sale on, so at least we finally got to try them. I'll definitely buy them again in the future if we can get a decent deal.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We were going to pull burgers from the freezer and make oven fries, but worked in the yard till late.

We've got some mini whole grain naan breads and we're going with flatbread pizza and salad instead. We've got pizza sauce in a jar, plenty of shredded cheese and onions. Sounds a lot easier than anything else right now.

Bought some mixed baby greens today, so we'll have a salad along with it and we've got Marionberry pie for dessert.

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
Tonight appears to be a "markdown meal."

We're having roast beef (markdown) with caramelized onions (markdown), baby potatoes, carrots and celery. We paid retail for the celery and carrots, but did have a best customer coupon on the celery. We may or may not have gotten the baby potatoes on markdown. I get some good best customer coupons on them and try to team them with a sale on a 10 percent discount day -- so cheap either way.

Used some Johnny's Whiskey Sauce on the roast, which we picked up when the discount grocery marked their gourmet marinades and sauces down to 50 cents a bottle. It retails for about $15 a jug on the internet. (It comes in a jug to look like moonshine.)

We'll have a salad of mixed super greens and pears with blue cheese and vinaigrette dressing. The super greens, pears and blue cheese were all markdowns and salad kits always have too much dressing so we've always got a few unopened pouches in the fridge. We get most of our salad kits on markdown. We already had a super greens veggie salad last night -- very tasty!

We'll also have garlic bread made from the delicious-looking multigrain bakery bread we got on markdown Thursday.

Then we've got markdown Marionberry pie for dessert.

Last edited:

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Crankie and I went out to dinner and we decided to sit at the bar to eat our meal. I had the bar burger and fries and bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer. Crankie had steamed mussels and the larger cheese burger. We enjoyed our meals.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Frozen cheese pizza doctored with beef chorizo, sweet peppers and green onions.

Watermelon for dessert.

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
It has been SO hot the past few days, so we just snacked for dinner last night. I think I ended up with cold pizza about 10 p.m.

Salt Lake has been breaking June heat records every single day. I think it got up to 106 degrees yesterday or the day before. Boise is normally very hot compared to us, but we're right in between the two cities, so we've been running higher than Boise it seems.

Today I came across two deli six-cheese pizzas on markdown for $1.49 each. The others were SO good and we still had beef chorizo left from Sunday, so we bought those and doctored them again for a late afternoon lunch. Haven't been hungry for dinner again tonight.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We made a big pot of homemade Beef Barley Soup for lunch today and had markdown bakery rolls to go with it, so for dinner we just used refried beans and a dip for tortilla chips.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Another scorcher today!

Found a bag of coleslaw mix on markdown yesterday and wanted to use it in Sarma Casserole, but didn't want to heat the house up with the oven. Made it in the Crock-Pot today and it was almost as good.

For those who haven't seen my previous posts about it. Sarma is the Croatian name for Cabbage Rolls. The first time I made cabbage rolls, DH was thrilled and exclaimed "Sarma!" I'd never heard the word before, but it stuck.

I have no idea how the Croatians actually make Sarma. The recipes I've seen usually have more of a sweet and sour sauce than an Italian/tomato base. DH's mother never made it. He only had it when his grandmother made it and he claimed my Italian tomato version tasted like hers. She outlived her first Croatian husband and later married their close friend who was an Italian immigrant. That was the man DH generally knew as his grandfather. I don't know which version his grandmother made Croatian or Italian. I never got to try hers.

I got lazy through the years and never got actual cabbage rolls made, because I didn't want to go to all the work of steaming a head of cabbage to get the leaves loose. As a consequence I started tossing all the ingredients into a casserole with shredded cabbage and calling it Sarma Casserole.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
My mom makes sarme with the red sauce. She would roll up the meat mixture in a cabbage leaf and stick a tooth pick in it. No wonder mom always yelled at us to watch out for the toothpick. LOL While her version was delicious, I am just not a fan of cabbage, so I would take out the toothpick, unroll the cabbage leaf and eat the meat mixture...

Last night, d2 and I made 2 pizza's. One with red sauce & pepperoni and the other with pesto and mushrooms and sausage. Both came out great.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Chicken Meatball Stroganoff over Whole Wheat Noodles
Green Beans

Hoping to have Cinnamon Rolls for a late dessert once the house cools down a little.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Hamburgers, fries and milkshakes. We've got B1G1 coupons about to expire and so are the hamburger/fry coupons. Just wish they'd open the dining room so we don't have to eat cold food at home.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Found a rare deal today -- markdown rotisserie chicken -- so that was our main course.

Sides included:

Mashed potatoes
Roasted beets and sautéed greens from the farmers market
Caesar salad

Homemade strawberry rhubarb crisp for dessert later. We're too stuffed for dessert right now.