Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Tonight we had turkey burgers on whole wheat buns, oven fries and coleslaw.

2. Gardencook

Breakfast for dinner.

I had a free Grand Slam Breakfast at Denny's expiring today, so we decided to try our second sit-down meal since re-opening started.

We paid for most of DH's favorite veggie omelette using a gift card we bought back in February -- the last time we ate at Denny's before COVID-19. Since the place has been closed I didn't remember we were on our last card and we ended up paying a little over $3 OOP after gift card.

Unfortunately, the poor service didn't do much to win us back to our local restaurant. Don't know why, but ours has always been virtually the WORST Denny's of all that we've eaten in. Today was no exception. We really like the restaurants we eat in when traveling.

We had a waitress whose version of "wearing a mask" entailed covering her chin -- nowhere near her nose or mouth.

She dropped DH's toast on the floor when she brought it, mumbled something about bringing more and that was the last we saw of her. We had to ask another waitress to get him his toast after both of us had finished our meals.

That waitress actually had a novel approach and wore her mask covering both her mouth and nose! She checked back several times on her customers to make sure they didn't need anything. With only four tables of customers and two waitresses in the restaurant, that wasn't very hard to do.

However, we never did figure out why the cook needed close to a half hour to prepare our meals when there was hardly anyone to cook for.

We thought the waitress who offered to take our plates and finally brought DH's toast was the "old pro," but it turned out she was pretty new at her job. When our waitress never brought our check, the "good" waitress also came to the cash register, but didn't yet know how to ring up a gift card so had to ask the manager -- an employee who didn't even wear a mask on her chin ... o_O

And then they can't figure out why there has been a spike in COVID-19 cases in Idaho the past couple weeks.

Of course, no one wants to admit this could have anything to do with it ...

[​IMG]

Cathy likes this.
  3. Gardencook

Tonight we'll have a BBQ Beef Hash -- onions, garlic, potatoes, BBQ Beef, sweet pepper and corn -- all ingredients we've got on hand.

We picked up a couple Blueberry Bliss Spinach Salad Kits on markdown yesterday, so we'll have one of those along with it.

4. Gardencook

Last night we found a Ginger Soy Noodle Stir-Fry kit on markdown. The store also had some shaved fajita chicken on markdown. Kind of mixed cuisines, but used the two together for a delicious dinner.

Tonight we had Beef Hamburgers on Whole Wheat Buns with Potato Salad and a Blueberry Spinach Salad kit.

Cathy and jastwins like this.
  5. Gardencook

Tonight's dinner was a repeat of last night's.

We got a markdown deal on some "special" ground steak burgers the other day and potato salad was on mega sale so that seemed like an easy solution to holiday weekend meals.

6. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Last night, we had grilled marinated flank steak and grilled chicken shish-kabobs. We also grilled zucchini and had potato and macaroni salad asides. D1 and d3 had Chinese with the former boss and her granddaughter at the boss’ house . She sold the shop last year and my girls still love to visit her.
    On the Fourth, Crankie and I went out for lunch and he had really fresh oysters and clams. I had a couple of oysters but do not like raw clams. Later we had mahi-Mahi wraps and fried clam strips at another outdoor restaurant. Our late dinner was hotdogs and hamburgers.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Gardencook likes this.
  7. Gardencook

Picked up frozen pizzas today as our monthly treat when we get a 10 percent discount. We had a coupon for one of them and the other two were on mega sale. So we got Mediterranean/Greek and a Roasted Beet, Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese pizzas.

Why get run-of-the-mill flavors when we can have something different? ;)

8. Gardencook

Homemade Broccoli Cheese Soup
    Chili Lime Crunch Salad
    Garlic Bread -- we got some whole grain French Bread with Seeds on markdown yesterday and it made DELICIOUS garlic bread!

9. jastwins

We had sausage and peppers on Semolina bread. Love this type of Italian bread and was happy the store near my job had some left.

Gardencook likes this.
  10. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Yesterday, I took Marina and her two daughters to lunch at a great restaurant which specializes in Northern Italian cuisine. This is the third time we have gone there and Marina, never having heard of most of the dishes, always ordered pizza -- as did both girls.

I, on the other hand, had fettuccine carbonara mare, which is a lot like the usual fettuccine carbonara but with the addition of some shellfish and shrinp. Marina always refused to taste it. The last time we went there, I was not very hungry and finished only about a quarter of my meal. Marina had the rest packaged as take-away in the hope that her husband might eat it.

Apparently, he was not the only one to try it as this time both Marina and the 14-year-old ordered it (the 4-year-old stayed with pizza).

The price came to 300 shekels ($87) which included a 10% discount because it was lunch.

Marina's birthday will be on Monday and I bought a 400 shekel voucher for her to go to dinner that night with both girls and her husband (meaning no lunch discount). I suspect that fettuccine carbonara mare will again be the main course.

jastwins, Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  11. Gardencook

Running late tonight, so DH is going to pick up burgers, fries and B1G1 milkshakes.

Fillies Fan likes this.
  12. Gardencook

Hamburgers -- at home tonight -- on whole wheat buns with sweet onion and lettuce
    Potato Salad
    Chili Lime Crunch Salad

13. Gardencook

Chicken and Rice -- picked up four large chicken leg quarters on markdown for a about $4 last night.

Green Beans and Tangerine Crunch Salad on the side

14. Gardencook

Breaded Fish Fillets
    Potato Salad
    Green Salad

15. jastwins

On Saturday, we grilled tuna and swordfish steaks that I marinated before cooking. Our sides were tomato salad, glazed carrots and corn on the cob.
    Last night we had hamburgers and hotdogs.

Gardencook likes this.
  16. jastwins

I had to stay late at work. D2 and I had riced cauliflower and grilled sirloin steak. Crankie made tuna fish and D1 & d3 ate out. Just a long day and a hot day. Ugh.

Gardencook likes this.
  17. jastwins

Crankie requested zucchini frittata tonight so I looked up a recipe and it came out great.

Gardencook likes this.
  18. Fillies Fan

I remember asking a woman in Rome for that one evening -- she slapped my face. :(

Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  19. Gardencook

Been curious to try vegetarian Gyros for ages. The photos with the recipes always made me salivate, but it kept getting pushed to another day.

Finally set my mind to do it yesterday and they were DELICIOUS! Definitely going to have to make them a LOT more often.

Of course, as usual I didn't follow a recipe close enough to link one -- just used a few ingredients we purchased with the sandwiches in mind and quite a few we already had on hand.

jastwins likes this.
  20. Fillies Fan

Lunch today was a giant pork steak accompanied by fries and hummus.

As you might expect, pork steaks are not easy to find in Israel. In fact, my closest Arab village doesn't have any restaurants which offer it as Muslims, like Jews, are not supposed to eat it. However, I know a Christian Arab restaurant about 40 minutes from my house and drove there for lunch.

Being fairly stuffed by my lunch, I had a small, but healthy dinner -- chocolate chip cookies accompanied by a glass of red wine.

jastwins and Cathy like this.
Moderators: KimShaw