Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We had a good coupon/sale offer on some new vegetarian burger patties so thought we'd try them.

We'll have veggie cheeseburgers on whole wheat buns, fries, onion rings and roasted green beans.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Last night we had London broil, McCains sweet potatoes, string beans, Spanish rice, salad and leftover pasta.

Gardencook likes this.
  3. jastwins

It was raining all afternoon so I baked a large salmon fillet in the oven. Our sides were minute rice, baked baby carrots, corn and white bean salad. We all enjoyed it.

Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  4. Gardencook

Tonight we had Quorn Patties, French Fries, Onion Rings, Roasted Green Beans and Pineapple Cottage Cheese.

We've got a Lemon Meringue Pie in the fridge. Cracked into it last night for dessert and might have some of it later.

jastwins likes this.
  5. Gardencook

We got three loaves of free French bread today, so that will be the focus of dinner the next few days. Tonight we'll make garlic bread.

Along with it we'll have a beef and cabbage soup using hamburger from the freezer and a bag of coleslaw mix we got free after coupon today.

The rest of the soup ingredients will be fresh and canned veggies, canned tomatoes, V8 Juice, beef stock and spices -- which we have on hand.

I think we'll have a salad on the side, since we also have a gourmet salad blend on hand.

Overall a cheap, easy and healthy meal for a very cold day.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    flowerkitty likes this.
  6. jastwins

Tonight I made a German potato salad that came out pretty good. It was a vegan recipe until the last step—-add bacon. I put aside 2 spoonfuls for D3 and she was happy. We grilled sausage and cooked the peppers and onions in a foil covered tin on the grill. We had Italian bread to go along with it and some baked beans.

Cathy, flowerkitty and Gardencook like this.
  7. Gardencook

We didn't get the soup made last night, so it got moved to tonight's dinner. We added cheese to the garlic bread tonight, which didn't occur to me last night.

Since we didn't make soup, we went with tuna melts on some of the free whole grain French bread for last night's dinner.

It is always nice to have options when Plan A doesn't work out. ;)

Cathy, flowerkitty and jastwins like this.
  8. jastwins

I heated up leftovers (sausage and peppers) and decided that was dinner for me and D1.
    D3 had leftovers of her vegetarian meals plus some pasta and zucchini. D2 had her flank steak and potato salad. Too cool to grill and I was not in the mood. Crankie left early since he is working 2 days this week.

flowerkitty and Gardencook like this.
  9. Gardencook

Tonight we're planning hamburgers on whole wheat buns and we had to do one more round of Red Robin fries and onion rings before the mega sale goes off tomorrow. Those will go on the side.

We used a quarter pound of beef in the soup yesterday, will eat a half pound for dinner tonight and that will leave us a quarter pound to put in spaghetti sauce for a meal tomorrow or the next day. We're trying to stretch it, since they are claiming it is going to be in short supply in the coming weeks.

10. jastwins

Tonight, D2 made her bolognese sauce that came out absolutely delicious. So happy there are leftovers!!

Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  11. Gardencook

We had a coupon for $2 Gyros at Arby's, so picked them up at the drive-thru on our way home this evening.

We still had half a bag each of Red Robin Fries and Onion Rings so those went along with the Gyros.

12. jastwins

I was so aggravated yesterday that I did not cook. I made scrambled eggs for me and d1 and d3 made grilled cheese. D2 bought herself a steak burrito. Crankie stopped at our fave Italian restaurant and got himself an eggplant parm hero. He also brought the desserts they forgot to give us for Mother's day.

Gardencook likes this.
  13. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs, mashed up with mayo, and spread over a roll.
    Lunch: A box of Belgian chocolates.
    Dinner: A hotdog, covered with mustard, and put on another roll. Accompanied by a rum and Coke.

Gee, I wonder why I keep having health problems.

jastwins, Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  14. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only unhealthy eater on this forum! My dinner will be McDonalds :(

Fillies Fan, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  15. Gardencook

Well, our spaghetti keeps shifting direction.

We've got a quarter pound ground beef patty left from a package of meat we bought the other day. Originally, I was just going to break it up and add jarred spaghetti sauce.

Then the new mega sale came out and I decided to get a bit more creative. Riced cauliflower was on sale and I had been gifted a coupon that was about to expire which required the purchase of three bags. I've seen so many interesting recipes for vegetarian "meatballs" using cauliflower in place of meat that I decided to use is as a meat extender with the ground beef and have meatballs with our spaghetti.

However, the best laid plans ...

The store had a riced cauliflower veggie medley and risotto incorporating other vegetables, but it didn't have the plain cauliflower which was supposed to be our third bag. ( The store didn't have the tortillas either and an employee said they can't keep them in stock. :()

So I guess we're back to plain broken up hamburger in a jar of spaghetti sauce over whole grain spaghetti. I think the box I've got open is an Ancient Grains pasta.

We do have salad to go on the side.

And all this started because we got three loaves of free French bread with the Monopoly game. :p So that means garlic cheese bread tonight, as well.

jastwins likes this.
  16. Gardencook

We're having late night Australian Meat Pies tonight -- it is nearly midnight.

It was WAY too hot to cook today and the muggy heat wiped me out so we took a nap. (We aren't used to humidity here, even though I grew up in it.)

We were in the low 90s today and supposed to get closer to 100 tomorrow -- which might not be bad were it not for the fact we had snow just a few days ago. I don't think I'll EVER get used to the temperature extremes around here! :confused:

jastwins likes this.
  17. Gardencook

We had a Red Robin free burger coupon that was expiring yesterday. It has been good for the entire month, but we were waiting for the restaurant to open. We aren't big fans of take-out.

We both had our favorite -- Teriyaki Chicken Burgers. DH had fries and I had salad as our bottomless sides.

Dining in restaurant is definitely different world this side of the re-opening.

They had a fellow in a mask standing in the parking lot who walked toward the car as soon as we drove in. He checked us in instead of the front desk like usually happens.

We asked how the new routine works and he explained that if the restaurant had too many diners, we would have been asked to wait in our car until a table opened. However, since there weren't too many people we could proceed indoors immediately.

They knew we were coming at the front desk, so we were seated without a wait.

There is only one party every other booth now and no parties over six people are allowed.

The reduced menus are all disposable now and no whole wheat buns like we normally get, because they aren't ordering as many foods. :(

No condiments on the table. They bring all of them on the side. The biggest inconvenience there was the missing roll of paper towels. A MESSY burger and only one napkin doesn't work so well -- and they seemed sloppier than usual last night. Maybe they use more sauce when they're cooking less food. :confused:

I suppose we could have gotten one if we'd asked, but the waitress was never near the table when we needed one most.

Biggest change to get used to was the new serving situation. Of course, everyone was wearing masks, however, our waitress wasn't wearing gloves because she didn't serve food.

Our waitress took our order on a hand-held tablet. (Those were new right before the pandemic hit, so they weren't actually a change.)

Someone wearing gloves brought our drinks and a different server in gloves brought all our food.

The Ziosks are still on the table, but are supposedly sanitized after each party. Since the restaurant wasn't that busy, the Ziosk actually worked for a change! Usually the receipt gets stuck in the machine or the machine is out of paper entirely.

It was nice to see the receipt printing out without a problem for a change. It is always such a hassle to have to track down your waitress after you've paid. They think you're finished and then you can't get attention.

Cathy and jastwins like this.
  18. Gardencook

We had fresh bread in the kitchen, so toast with beef salami seemed totally suitable for dinner.

DH just had a HUGE plate of bread and butter.

We'll have yogurt for dessert. With the excess milk on the market, at least yogurt sales have been good the past few weeks.

jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.
  19. Gardencook

Beef Fajitas on Whole Wheat Tortillas and Pinto Beans with Onions, Garlic and Peppers simmered in the Crock-Pot with a few spices.

20. Gardencook

Turkey Cranberry Burgers with Cheese on Whole Wheat Buns and Organic Curry Potato Salad

Moderators: KimShaw