Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Sorry about your computer woes @Gardencook. Yesterday I woke up to no Internet and it took a couple of hours to fix. We had 60-70 mph winds and a storm the day before. The girls were complaining since they need internet for work and class. After rebooting the equipment things seemed to get back to order.
    Yesterday we had hamburgers and hotdogs. Sides were veggies and Vigo rice and beans.

Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  2. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Today I used the ham hock (from Sunday) to make ham & beans in the crockpot.
    I used dry pinto beans because that is what we had. After doing a quick soak of the beans this morning, I added them to the ham hock in the crockpot along with the drippings my husband saved from the ham pan on Sunday. Added carrots & part of an onion. The beans turned out great & my husband made cornbread to go w/it. It was a good dish today because we are having chilly weather.

jastwins likes this.
  3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Tonight we're having sweet chili chicken wings with stir-fry and black rice.

flowerkitty likes this.
  4. jastwins

Tonight we heated up some bbq and buffalo wings. We made a pizza after Crankie bought pizza dough and some shredded mozzarella. As an appetizer we heated up sea pak coconut shrimp. It was all delicious.

Gardencook and flowerkitty like this.
  5. Gardencook

Change of plans due to chaos. The turkey meatloaf has been pushed off till tomorrow.

Tonight we will be having Chicken Divan over Whole Wheat Egg Noodles -- if it gets prepared. I got some nice markdown broccoli yesterday and we still have rotisserie chicken in the freezer from the good deal DH got the other night.

I also made a batch of egg rolls this afternoon, but ended up using rotisserie chicken for them. Tucked the ground turkey we'd planned for the egg rolls into the freezer.

6. Gardencook

Turkey Loaf with Cranberry Sauce, Baked Potatoes and Roasted Asparagus

7. jastwins

Crankie barbecued boneless chicken thighs with Sweet Baby Rays sauce and they come out awesome. I roasted potatoes with rosemary in the oven, roasted asparagus, and served beets, salad and Seabrook creamed spinach.

My daughter invited her friend from HS over for dinner and it was great to see this girl. She lives on her own in a apartment on her grandfather's property and she is a wonderful, smart college co-ed. Her parents divorced and mom and the brother moved back to Sweden. I applaud this young woman for being as nice, smart and strong as she is, despite a tough family life.

8. Gardencook

Tonight we're making hot turkey sandwiches from the leftover turkey loaf. We'll serve the loaf on whole wheat toast topped with turkey gravy from a jar.

The gravy will also top a potato/cauliflower mash. I got a couple small packs of markdown broccoli for the chicken divan we had the other night -- one was just broccoli and the other was a mix of broccoli and cauliflower. We used all the broccoli in the divan and want to use the cauliflower from the second pack without wasting it.

Sides will be canned green beans and cranberry sauce.

jastwins likes this.
  9. Gardencook

Spent all afternoon "fixing" our computer after the technician kept it a week and charged us $80 to "fix" it. (I'm NOT a technician, but even I know you can't run two virus program at the same time ... along with malware AND an ad blocker -- none of which we asked them to install. I suspect they get a kickback on every "free" program they install.

Hours later we FINALLY got it running at a decent speed after removing the excess virus program and the ad blocker. At least they got it unfrozen after Microsoft froze it up after an update, but ... I REALLY am sick and tired of technology!

After all that, we were too tired to cook. We had a B1G1 milkshake coupon about to expire and could get cheap burgers and fries with coupons -- so that was dinner. DH said the drive-thru was packed.

10. Gardencook

We picked up Taco Bell free Doritos Locos Tacos and free senior drinks for a late lunch this afternoon.

Since it was a late lunch that will cover us through dinner. I made a couple beautiful loaves of homemade Cornmeal Molasses Bread this afternoon so a couple of slices of that will carry us over if we want a snack before bed.

Cathy likes this.
  11. jastwins

Last night I made meatloaf and it was really good. Sides were the last of a big bag of ore Ida French fries and Green Giant glazed carrots.
    The night before last I cut up two large chicken breasts and cooked them in the pataks curry simmer sauce. It was better than I thought and I served it over rice. Crankie had the leftover sausage and pasta. He made a hero sandwich with the sausage. D2 had coconut shrimp both nights and D3 had veggie burgers and a veggie pasta dish leftover.

flowerkitty and Gardencook like this.
  12. Gardencook

Experimented with making "Bone Broth" in the Crock-Pot. I've made a lot of stock/broth that way, but never left it in long enough for the bones to start disintegrating like this batch. It smells really good and is very rich, but of course, the longer you cook the less broth you get.

We'll make the bone broth into chicken and noodles for dinner tonight using nothing but ingredients we have on hand/pantry.

DH got some nice greens on markdown yesterday, so we decided to go with Baby Kale, Pear and Blue Cheese salad and we'll have roasted asparagus, as well.

Then to add more carbs to the pot, we did get oatmeal cookies made last night so those will be dessert.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Cathy, flowerkitty and jastwins like this.
  13. Gardencook

We've got plenty of chicken and noodles left from last night, still have baby kale remaining and plenty of pears/blue cheese on hand so we'll do a repeat of last night's dinner.

Cathy, flowerkitty and jastwins like this.
  14. jastwins

Mom made a delicious dinner tonight. We had shrimp and her gravy over polenta. She also fried some shrimp, made broccoli and we had escarole and potato salad.

Cathy, Gardencook and flowerkitty like this.
  15. Gardencook

Tonight we're having Chicken Fajitas on Whole Wheat Tortillas, Chile Verde Brown Rice and Refried Beans.

Just restocked on supplies so lots of fresh produce for feasting!

Cathy and jastwins like this.
  16. Gardencook

Gyros on whole wheat pitas with lots of extra veggies and a doctored up tabbouli boxed kit.

17. Gardencook

We had enough leftovers for another round of gyros tonight.

18. Gardencook

We're having a late dinner of fish, fries and onion rings from the freezer tonight.

We had a late lunch. Arby's offered a Customer Appreciation Deal today -- $1 Original Roast Beef Sandwiches, limit five.

It was a lot better deal than Wendy's which wouldn't let you see a drive-thru menu the other day and wouldn't allow any more than one free four-piece chicken nuggets for two customers ordering food. Won't be going back there anytime soon.

Taco Bell has been really good about allowing a free taco for every customer when we've gone through that drive-thru. Amazing what good that does for customer relations!

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  19. jastwins

Nice to be eating dinner at my parent’s house this week. We have had roasted pork, rigatoni with mom's delicious gravy, turkey burgers. All sides have been home made and we are eating lots of veggies.
    It will be tough to go back home and come up with a meal each night. Lol

Jorainna, Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  20. Gardencook

DH has been fussing with trying to get the lawn mower running all evening. Just got in from mowing a few minutes ago, so we're having another round of fish, fries and onions rings for a VERY, VERY late dinner.

It is a good thing we picked up Free Taco Bell Doritos Locos Tacos with some other items to fill out a meal for a very late lunch earlier today!

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
Moderators: KimShaw